A Thoth Beginner's Library?

Le Fanu

teomat said:
But...it does seem to be a very important component in the Thoth, especially in those equations DuQuette gives for figuring out the minors. I feel that I would be missing out on a big chunk of makes the Thoth tick if I didn't have that knowledge.
I think I have that knowledge in the sense that I know where to go to find it (Duquette :p ) but I've never been able to work out what I'm supposed to do with it.

Get yourself a notebook, page or more per card, look at all the cards and note down your feelings about the atmosphere of the card, all the usual journalling stuff, then read Duquette and then Snuffin and write down the factual/interesting stuff, like this card is Venus in Aquarius, or Lady Frieda used an old fencing diagram to contruct this card etc, or whatever. I only braved the Book of Thoth after I'd read Duquette & Snuffin to be honest.

With Thoth, I go away and come back to it and all the "factual" and astrological stuff I can't easily remember, but it's all there, distilled in my moleskin Thoth notebook, and I go on adding to it, my thoughts, comments here from members. I can never seem to remember it all, but it is noted down for me so I don't have to keep rereading the whole of Duquette & Snuffin each time I'm in a Thoth phase!

Life with Thoth is a long term thing... :)

Grigori

teomat said:
I entirely sympathise! I've never been into astrology before, and to be honest I still don't 'believe' in it (especially as I have an interest in astronomy and I just can't reconcile the two disciplines).

If you've read a little astrology before and from astronomy are familiar with what everything is and how it fits together, I'd suggest jumping in with Frawley's "Real Astrology" http://www.amazon.com/Real-Astrolog...=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267397430&sr=8-8

As long as you already know the basic bits of astrology, its a good starter book and will help with the Thoth. I'd also suggest his book on Horary as a compliment, as its very applicable to tarot reading skills.
http://www.amazon.com/Horary-Textbo...r_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267397430&sr=8-11

gregory

Le Fanu said:
ETA; question; "know the basics" would be what, exactly?
More than I shall ever manage, is what I see it as :( Astrology has always defeated me and I don't think it plans to stop any time soon :D

Le Fanu

gregory said:
More than I shall ever manage, is what I see it as :( Astrology has always defeated me and I don't think it plans to stop any time soon :D
Thank the lord it isn't just me!

Grigori

gregory said:

hahaha Serious Gregory, think about getting the Horary book. It was the thing that made the biggest difference for me (I read Real Astrology, then Real Astrology Applied, and then worked with the Horary book for a couple of months, loving every minute of it). I'm still a shite astrologer, but I can talk astrology with really good ones and understand what they say and follow their discussion. If I applied myself to practice it, I'm sure I would work it out myself too also.

The Horary book is all about taking the basic bits of a chart, finding out which tiny parts are relevant to the topic at hand and then interpreting them. So rather than having to account for the entire chart, you may be working with just one or two planets and seeing how happy they would be in their current position, and if there is an aspect between them. Thats it. You can forget the rest as it doesn't apply!

The reading skills are very close to those of tarot. It's about 1% of the work you'd have to do to read a natal chart, and you get a solid answer to your question in a few minutes (or 20 minutes when you first start, as you'll have to re-read Frawley's chapter on how to read about the subject your asking for e.g. the first 3 pages of Chapter X tell you how to pull apart a chart and find out if someone is going to marry you. The next 2 pages will tell you how to work out when. The page after that will tell you how to see if it will be a good marriage etc... Tiny bite sized pieces, and wonderful training wheels for if you want to get into a full chart or more complex thing down the track.

Le Fanu said:
ETA; question; "know the basics" would be what, exactly?

What Frawley doesn't go into in great depth is what each planet represents, or what each sign relates to. But what he does do in The Real Astrology is go over the history of astrology, how it developed and why, and what practical importance is that. What the best way to learn it is, and what he thinks is most valuable and reliable in practice. He covers the different types of practice, and when they're useful. He also rants a bit about the glory of god, so as long as you don't choke on that part it's a fun and not difficult read. Then in the Horary book, he forces you to apply and use simple information to work with a real question and real chart.

I would suggest the prerequisite level of knowledge would be: be able to name the 7 planets, recognize their symbol, and say a sentance about them. e.g. Mars is about masculine fiery energy and its symbol looks like this (sorry, I don't know how to type it! haha). If you also know there are 12 houses in a chart, and that there are 12 signs, then you're laughing. For someone who's never heard of astrology it's not a good starting book, but anyone who has tried to read any other "beginner guide" will be fine.

Le Fanu

Grigori said:
I would suggest the prerequisite level of knowledge would be: be able to name the 7 planets, recognize their symbol, and say a sentance about them. e.g. Mars is about masculine fiery energy and its symbol looks like this (sorry, I don't know how to type it! haha). If you also know there are 12 houses in a chart, and that there are 12 signs, then you're laughing. For someone who's never heard of astrology it's not a good starting book, but anyone who has tried to read any other "beginner guide" will be fine.
OK, I think I have this. I recognise the astrological squiggles so when I see them on my Thoth deck, I can go "ooh, that's Capricorn and the Moon!" I knew there were 12 houses but I can never remember exactly what each one is and what the order is (is there an order?)

So I guess I'm laughing...

gregory

Grigori said:
The Horary book is all about taking the basic bits of a chart, finding out which tiny parts are relevant to the topic at hand and then interpreting them. So rather than having to account for the entire chart, you may be working with just one or two planets and seeing how happy they would be in their current position, and if there is an aspect between them. Thats it. You can forget the rest as it doesn't apply!
What makes you think I could even recognise a chart if it bit me on the bum ????

The reading skills are very close to those of tarot.
You mean I can do it from a picture with no background ? I don't think so !!

It's about 1% of the work you'd have to do to read a natal chart, and you get a solid answer to your question in a few minutes (or 20 minutes when you first start, as you'll have to re-read Frawley's chapter on how to read about the subject your asking for e.g. the first 3 pages of Chapter X tell you how to pull apart a chart and find out if someone is going to marry you. The next 2 pages will tell you how to work out when. The page after that will tell you how to see if it will be a good marriage etc... Tiny bite sized pieces, and wonderful training wheels for if you want to get into a full chart or more complex thing down the track.
Ummmmm

....er

Pardon ? Pull apart a chart ?

What Frawley doesn't go into in great depth is what each planet represents, or what each sign relates to. But what he does do in The Real Astrology is go over the history of astrology, how it developed and why, and what practical importance is that. What the best way to learn it is, and what he thinks is most valuable and reliable in practice. He covers the different types of practice, and when they're useful. He also rants a bit about the glory of god, so as long as you don't choke on that part it's a fun and not difficult read.
Cough. Heimlich anyone ??? ;)

Then in the Horary book, he forces you to apply and use simple information to work with a real question and real chart.
You want me to ask some book to use brute force on me ? You are a hard man Sim - er - Grigs.

I would suggest the prerequisite level of knowledge would be: be able to name the 7 planets
Check - but then again - there are MORE than 7 planets, I think ?
recognize their symbol
4 out of 7, I think

and say a sentence about them. e.g. Mars is about masculine fiery energy and its symbol looks like this (sorry, I don't know how to type it! haha).
[size=+3]♂[/size]
(I am crap at astrology but a computer geek !)
NO chance of a sentence, Unless to say that's the trad male symbol I had to use when in the health service.....
If you also know there are 12 houses in a chart, and that there are 12 signs, then you're laughing.
Well, there I am laughing (though I don't actually know what a house is...., only that there are 12) - but since I was well lost before I started to laugh, does that still count ?
For someone who's never heard of astrology it's not a good starting book, but anyone who has tried to read any other "beginner guide" will be fine.
Want to bet ? I will win, so don't put up your shirt..... ;)

Grigori

hahah One thing I can say for you Gregory, you're determined :laugh:

Horary is similar to Tarot in that you are focussing on just one thing. Rather than having to understand the entire situation and entire life of a person at once, you can just ask "where the hell did I leave my favorite pencil" and look at the bits that will tell you where your pencil is. In a way, its like a one card drawer, rather than having to start with a 78 cards from 12 different decks approach that some masochists are attracted to.

These are very un-Frawley recommendations, but other books that I found useful for learning the territory (but they weren't enough to get me to the point of doing anything real) were "The Twelve Houses" by Sasportas, and "The Ultimate Astrologer" by Campion.

Le Fanu said:
I knew there were 12 houses but I can never remember exactly what each one is and what the order is (is there an order?)

Not to worry, Frawley does go into the order quite clearly, as to what it is and why it is that way, and how its the basis of all the other things you have to do. Then he gives you a whole chapter for each house, as they apply to Horary work. Once you've learnt that the second house is the house of movable possessions (its main use and just about the only thing you need to remember) you can open up its chapter, and he'll talk you through all the different types of second house questions and how you'd answer them.

Grigori

PS ♂ woohoo!! :D