Thoth Tarot Course By Lon Duquette Starting On 3-15-10

Lilija

Honestly, I went into it hoping for the opportunity to pick his brain about the writings. Didn't think I would learn much new, just sort of enhance what I already do know.

I was wrong. Like thorhammer says, he's not rehashing what's written. I'm learning new stuff already. I'd hang out with the failed stoner rock musician any day. Way more interesting than many accomplished rock musicians I've spent time with.

fyreflye

Why would anyone assume that DuQuette has a deep knowledge of Crowley's writings? Because he tells you he does? Even if he did, since Crowley's writings are available to everybody, why don't you already have your own deep knowledge of them? You've been studying them, haven't you?

Actually, I give the guy a lot of credit for getting his act together late in life and being able to turn out all those amusing books; he's obviously found his niche as an entertainer. But Uncle Al was amusing too, and I suspect he knew a few more secrets of the Thoth deck than DuQuette does, or ever will.

anubis777

Hi Lilija,
When you took the course how deep did Lon address the astrology & symbology of the minors as well as the majors? Did he explain the astrology very deeply or just lightly?

ravenest

Hey Lilija and Thorhammer. I look forward to hearing any posts or discussion that come from this. I'm eager to hear his new info. (Errmmm, youse guys arnt old burnt out stoners are you? :laugh: ) I mean MAYBE the guy has had more insights since last time (I do, all the time).

Hey! maybe he has been visiting here and picked up some new understandings? :laugh:

Found his niche in later life? Have a read of his major life changing Goetic Evocation. Anyone else done that, tried to change your life and job to get an income from something you love to do via a magical ritual? Well, he did it (according to him ;) ) and kudos to him for that. (Hint, dont leave half done evocation sigils in your freinds guitar case :laugh: )

I mean, I DID think he was an idiot at times. I'm reading the bit about tipping Abramelin oil on his head and I'm going " Nooooo ! " , long before he starts screaming - you idiot! But at least he was honest in publishing his idiocy and made me feel better about my own ( which I WONT write here ;) )

AND I assume there is some difference between a 'stoner' and some one that has 're-wired' using LSD (and back then it would have been GOOD LSD, not the crap that has usually been around for the last few decades).

(see; My Life with the Spirits
http://www.ecauldron.net/bkmylife.php )

thorhammer

I'll let you know how I find the course, R. And no doubt discuss my ramblings/rantings with you via snail mail LOL
ravenest said:
Found his niche in later life? Have a read of his major life changing Goetic Evocation. Anyone else done that, tried to change your life and job to get an income from something you love to do via a magical ritual? Well, he did it (according to him ;) ) and kudos to him for that. (Hint, dont leave half done evocation sigils in your freinds guitar case :laugh: )
I loved the story about that. Stunning. His Illustrated Goetia is wonderful to read (though still less wonderful than Practical Enochian Magick).
I mean, I DID think he was an idiot at times. I'm reading the bit about tipping Abramelin oil on his head and I'm going " Nooooo ! " , long before he starts screaming - you idiot! But at least he was honest in publishing his idiocy and made me feel better about my own ( which I WONT write here ;) )
I was the same! I thought, hang on, doesn't that have cinnamon oil in it! In the heat! Noooo! :laugh: And yes, good on him for putting it out there, warts and all.

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

anubis777 said:
Hi Lilija,
When you took the course how deep did Lon address the astrology & symbology of the minors as well as the majors? Did he explain the astrology very deeply or just lightly?
We only just started it today/yesterday, anubis. I guess it's unfair (not to mention illegal) to transcribe the material here, so I won't be doing that and I doubt Lilija will, but we'll definitely post our thoughts and impressions and opinions about it.

Well, I will. Just try and shut me up :D

\m/ Kat

Lilija

thorhammer said:
We only just started it today/yesterday, anubis. I guess it's unfair (not to mention illegal) to transcribe the material here, so I won't be doing that and I doubt Lilija will, but we'll definitely post our thoughts and impressions and opinions about it.

Well, I will. Just try and shut me up :D

\m/ Kat

Uh, what she said, haha.

thorhammer

Oh, the joys of having a whole new forum to play in!!!

LOL

I think I have a serious forum addiction. It's nothing for me to have three tabs of AT, and three other fora, open at the one time.

Srsly, though, I just revisited my old mate the 2 of Disks for this week's exercise and I'm amazed at how much I've learned since I danced with it a year ago. If nothing else, the way this course is making me buckle down is worth the money.

\m/ Kat

Lilija

I admire your ability to jump right in and make a forum your own. I generally loiter around for a year or so, lurking and mustering up the nerve to post, like I did with AT.

Having a short time to plunge right in and start being social is a step outside of my comfort zone, but it's a good one. I look to you for inspiration! I couldn't even think of a proper introduction.

I agree about buckling down. I've been so informal about the cards lately, haven't spent any real time outside of doing readings, and not even for myself, but for clients. This is a very refreshing sort of study.

I got the Hanged Man, as I posted about. I'm sitting here looking at him right now. I even took notes! NOTES!

thorhammer

It terrifies me that you're looking to me for inspiration.

The pressure.

:D Srsly - I'm just mouthy, that's all. I live on my own, so when I get to talking, just try and stop me!!!

The Hanged Man is one meaty card. But I'll put some thoughts together and comment for you over there.

\m/ Kat