I never noticed that before.

thorhammer

I see what you're saying about the one in the border, and think it's likely that there was a mistake that was corrected later as well.

But the one in his hand is the Platonic Solid attributed to Air. Sorry to keep banging on about them, but I did investigate them pretty thoroughly in this deck so I'm strong on that aspect :p

\m/ Kat

Stormdancer

Debra said:
Ok. Here are photos from my deck.

You can see that the spacing of the symbols on the bottom margin is different to the way they're spaced on the scan I posted above. That one, I pulled off the internet.

I show the whole Fool card sideways so you all can see a bigger image.

ETA: My thoughts on what it is, the triangle-within-a-triangle, is that it's a mistake later corrected.
These pics are not the same as the one you posted earlier, and in my deck, the one you posted earlier is what I have. It's not air...it IS a triangle within a triangle. This is from the large Thoth, green box, US games...

You think it's a mis-print???....well that certainly ends the mystery :joke:

Debra

Wow, that was fast!
I love you guys.
Now I'm gonna get me a lil snack. :D

Debra

Hilariously, stormdancer, the card I photographed--the one shown against the graph paper with my red annotations--the one where the marginal Air symbol looks like the traditional Air symbol, no mystery--IS from my Large Thoth, Green Box, US Games.

The scanned one is from Taroteca's site. I dunno what kind of box that one's from.

*wanders off in search of cupcakes*

nicky

thorhammer said:
I think you mean the faint lines that divide the yellow background/wallpaper behind the Fool's body; I've always wondered about that, because there's a hint of it but you can never quite tell where it is or what it's trying to do. I've attached a bit of a sketch with the lines I see. I just can't see the pattern. There's a suggestion of the Tree of Life, but it's not quite right, and puts the sun above Kether, where paths 19 and 13 cross :confused: It also seems to highlight Daath.
\m/ Kat

OMG never saw that . Thanks- I think ;)

Could it be related to the pyramid structure on the bottom on the Universe card...sort of an ending wrapped in the beginning?

Stormdancer

Debra said:
Hilariously, stormdancer, the card I photographed--the one shown against the graph paper with my red annotations--the one where the marginal Air symbol looks like the traditional Air symbol, no mystery--IS from my Large Thoth, Green Box, US Games.

The scanned one is from Taroteca's site. I dunno what kind of box that one's from.
Same as the one I have....and...the Fool in my medium lavender box(3 magus) is the same...triangle in a triangle....
Things that make Storm go "HUH" :confused: **looks for soft pillow and comfy blanket in a corner**

Debra said:
*wanders off in search of cupcakes*
Cupcake [size=+2]!!YUM!![/size]:D

Grigori

The closest thing I can think of to a triangle within a triangle is the "Triangle of Art" used in goetic evocation.

http://hermetic.com/osiris/triangleofart.htm

I s'pose calling something forth out of the "nothingness" is fairly fitting for our Fool. Otherwise the only images I can find featuring triangles inside triangles are corporate ones, or structures/layouts used in type of analysis or groupings, which is I guess a fairly air-y endeavor.

Grigori

I've just checked my collection re the air symbol on the border.

My 1978 greenie in white box has the standard triangle with a line symbol.
However my "purchased in the last few years" purple box/3 magus USG, and my mini-AGM decks, both have the triangle inside the triangle.
I also have a Czech deck, published by "BGL & Synergie" which has the double triangle.
The image in my 2004 Book of Thoth also has the double triangle.

Interestingly, Snuffin's book seems to have The Fool with the double triangle on the cover, and The Fool with the standard air glyph inside. The detail on the cover on Snuffin is the clearest I've seen and it actually appears to be a smaller triangle inside a larger one, but the smaller one has a line through the middle of it. As if it is the standard air triangle with another triangle surrounding it.

So it would seem possible it's a later addition/error that has now been corrected again? The very oldest decks didn't have that border, so I'd be interested to know if anyone has an old/original copy of the BoT, or a Greenie older than mine that has the glyph?...

t.town.troy

I have a large green box version that has (had, I trimmed the deck to experiment with the projective geometry) the little triangle in triangle.
On the cover of my copy of Snuffins' book the glyph almost looks like it was penned over, it is a traditional Air symbol.
???

Αρσιησισ

Anyone ever notice the tiny little phallus on the maiden depicted in Atu XXI?