Zan and BC's Excellent Thoth Adventure: In the beginning....

zan_chan

Welcome to the Excellent Thoth Adventure of Zan and Bat Chicken!

BC and I have decided to spend this year learning the ins and outs of the Thoth to the best of our abilities, so we decided to open a thread (in the vein of Nicky's famous thread) where we can post our musings, our confusion (lots of that coming up!), our frustrations, and everything else that's bound to turn up as we turn the Thoth on its head :)

Of course we hope that any Thothers out there who happen to catch bits of us here and there will pop in to set us straight, or to offer suggestions, help, or other avenues of study/thought down which we might want to travel.

Bat Chicken is brilliant and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be studying with her -

So BC, where do we start? :p

I've got the three sizes of recently-printed AGM Thoth here with me now. I've been playing with the mid-size the most for the last few days, but I'm planning to spend tonight or tomorrow trimming the large and hopefully that will become my main working deck. Thanks to the illustrious photokat, a very green greenie should be coming my way, along with a 3 Magi edition. So that should cover me for decks, right? (Normal people probably just need the one :p )

As for books, I've got the BoT of course, along with DuQuette, Snuffin, and Banzhaf, plus Laurence Sutin's Crowley biography, "Do What Thou Wilt". Also managed to download (should one not say such things?) a file containing the complete works of Aleister Crowley which I'll be printing out at my office, so that should be helpful.

Of course I've got a nice new journal here, ready to get broken in. Anything else I might need to get started?

Anyhow, away we go!

(Please be kind, Thoth Forum :p And thanks, Grigori, for letting us set up shop :thumbsup: )

Grigori

zan_chan said:
Anything else I might need to get started?

A Verlag Thoth. Only 3 is just not enough to start with ;)

Bat Chicken

So we begin! :)
I am honoured to join the most brilliant Zan on this challenging quest! He always knows the important questions that need to be asked and I would not dare to try this without him!

The help of our more experienced Thoth friends will be extremely welcome on this journey...

I am a little less well prepared - I have DuQuette, the Book of Thoth and something I downloaded called Book T? I have the large Thoth (U.S. Games) and the regular purple box Three Magus. Not sure how to get the Verlag. I cannot find it here in Canada. :D And the Greenie - that was quick Zan!

Now for the first card - I have have heard others say that to begin with the Fool is not necessarily best way. Shall we leave him to the end of the majors? I don't think this deck is one to go at randomly. So what do you think Zan?

Is the Fool the best card to start with?

gregory

Grigori said:
A Verlag Thoth. Only 3 is just not enough to start with ;)
That's KONIGSFURT, grigori - Verlag just means PUBLISHER :) I find them a bit faded myself....

(watching this thread with interest as I got lost in Nicky's..... :|)

zan_chan

You know, I really don't want to believe in any of this crap. But then the most ridiculous things happen and what can you do about it? AS I WAS READING THE END OF YOUR POST, I was shuffling my mid-size Thoth and a card flew out. Of course it was The Fool. So yeah, that'll do for me :) Then continue forward from there, stopping along the way to work out what any of it means?

Are you ready for classic Zan questions like -

What's a decan and is it different from a deacon? :p

What's astrology and why does it matter? Followed quickly by, Since when is the sun a planet?

Not to mention such clever insults as, Get your wand out of my Malkuth...

Oh I could go on all night! :laugh:

zan_chan

gregory said:
That's KONIGSFURT, grigori - Verlag just means PUBLISHER :) I find them a bit faded myself....

(watching this thread with interest as I got lost in Nicky's..... :|)

Hi gregs - welcome to the Excellent Adventure :p

I've heard that the Konigsfurt is equal parts radiant and washed out - which is the real story? Is it worth having?

Le Fanu

I shall follow this thread closely. Always up for learning & speculating more.

I reckon that all you need is as many Thoth editions as you want plus The Book of Thoth, DuQuette & Snuffin. I really think it's enough.

Oh and a journal. And pen. And a nice bag. And a nice reading cloth.. erm, anything else...?

Start with the Fool. I don't know why but I love thinking of the Crowley Fool before I fall asleep. There is something hypnotic about the way he floats in that giant "O" don't you think? And the way he shows us the soles of his golden boots. Such a vulnerable position he is in...

I have just ordered the Weiser Concise Guide to Aleister Crowley, this one. Anyone know if it is any good? I flicked through it in a bookshop and it seemed ok, and so cheap on amazon...

But - yes - all you really need is the cards. My astrology is crap, but I try. Lillie was right when she said that the Thoth gives you good readings whatever level you're at. It can be taken on its own terms wherever you're at. And she's right. No esoteric knowledge, a bit of esoteric knowledge, lots of esoteric knowledge, the Thoth will accompany you wherever you are.

ETA; the Urania/Verlag is worth having for the lovely golden box which feels like you're opening marzipan at Christmas...I like the muted colours but I think I'm the only one!

Kimberlee

I just wanted to send you off on your wonderful adventure! I'm all excited for you both - and I want to learn bits and pieces too, as I have a Thoth that needs my attention someday. ;)

I agree with Le Fanu and Kat (who had mentioned elsewhere, I believe) that the Thoth will meet you where you're at, and has many (onion) layers! I've gotten great readings with my Thoth, despite my limited knowledge of its inner workings.

Anyway, I'll be a happy observer over here, my popcorn is at the ready! (I feel like I'm settling into a '50's drive-in theatre over here, is that bad?) :D

~Kimberlee

gregory

zan_chan said:
Hi gregs - welcome to the Excellent Adventure :p

I've heard that the Konigsfurt is equal parts radiant and washed out - which is the real story? Is it worth having?
Opinions extremely differ, so I will bow out... I have it; I like it - but I prefer more colour. Will that do ? (oh, and it only comes in German- a major downer for some.)

Bat Chicken

I've been using a middle eastern inlaid box for my Big Thoth and an Indian one for my med. one. Although for portability I am thinking of designing a leather one. Have a look see Zan - if you like, I can make...

The Fool has always been disturbing to me too. I think we'll be on this one for a while then. OK Fool it is...