The Book of the Law Study Group 3.2

Aeon418

This verse reminds me of one of those cliched scenes in naval war movies. The ship has been badly damaged and the second in command is giving his report to the Captain.
Captain Horus: What's our status?

Sailor: It's bad sir. Real bad. There is division hither homeward; there is a word not known. Spelling is defunct; all is not aught. We're not going to make, are we sir? We should abandon ship right now!

Captain Horus: Nonsense man. Calm down. It looks like sh*t, but I reckon we can pull through. Now lets get to work and kick some ass!

Sailor: Aye, aye, Captain!
To me this verse is a summation of the condition of the pre-Adept. To be blunt, it's a mess. There seems to be a referrence to the confused state of the 4 elements and possibly the sense of disconnection with the supernal triad.

Here is one tentative correlation with the elements.

Wand - a word not known
Cup - division hither homeward
Sword - Spelling is defunct
Disk - all is not aught

The "word" could mean the Word of the Will. The Wand-Yod is not known. In the phrase "division hither homeward" my eye is drawn to the letter H's and makes me think of division between the letters in IHVH. A divided cup is not a cup. "Spelling is defunt"? The mind is not ordered. "All is not aught"? The pantacle should represent all. If it doesn't it's not a true PANtacle.
Now there's an ill ordered House if ever there was one. ;)

Disconnection from the Supernal Triad?

division hither homeward - Crowley connected this with the path of Zain leading from Tiphareth to Binah.

a word not known - could be a referece to the path of Heh between Tiphareth and Chokmah (The Word).

Spelling is defunt - the path of Gimel between Tiphareth and Keter. The Priestess "hunts by enchantment". (Book of Thoth p.73)

all is not aught - The path of Daleth and the Empress, symbol of All.

Beware! Hold! Raise the spell of Ra-Hoor-Khuit!

RA-HVVR-KVIT = 463. The Value of the Middle Pillar. (Gimel + Samekh + Tav)

Aeon418

Going back to the Tarot referrence in the previous thread.

Verse 1 - The Fool. Nu + Had coming together in Abrahadabra(418) creating the twin Child, Heru-Ra-Ha(418), who is both manifest and hidden.

Verse 2 - The Magus. The four weapons of the Magus. But something is wrong. (The Magus is Beth - House. The ill-ordered House of III:11?) The Illusion of separate existence?
The raising of a new Spell to put things back in order.

Verse 3 - To be continued.......

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Captain Horus: What's our status?

Sailor: It's bad sir. Real bad. There is division hither homeward; there is a word not known. Spelling is defunct; all is not aught. We're not going to make, are we sir? We should abandon ship right now!

Captain Horus: Nonsense man. Calm down. It looks like sh*t, but I reckon we can pull through. Now lets get to work and kick some ass!

Sailor: Aye, aye, Captain!

:laugh: I've been living with a trekkie too long. All I could think of was a cool headed Captain Kirk, with Scotty fretting over his mysterious and belabored engines.

Aeon418 said:
"Spelling is defunt"? The mind is not ordered.
I just couldn't make any connecting with "Spelling." But this helps.

Aeon418 said:
"Verse 2 - The Magus. The four weapons of the Magus. But something is wrong. (The Magus is Beth - House. The ill-ordered House of III:11?) The Illusion of separate existence?
The raising of a new Spell to put things back in order.

Verse 3 - To be continued........

Good. I find the tarot associations helpful as well.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I just couldn't make any connecting with "Spelling." But this helps.
I spelt defunct wrong. :laugh: ROFL
Always Wondering said:
Good. I find the tarot associations helpful as well.
My hunch is that the Tarot associations, if they exist at all, are in the order of the Hebrew alphabet and not the usual Tarot card order.

Always Wondering

Oh dear. Maybe we could take this line literally.

And yes, I looked up literally just to be sure. :|

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Oh dear. Maybe we could take this line literally.
Well there is a dual message in this third chapter. The K&C of HGA is the first "ordeal" for the individual magician. But it is also the "next step" for humanity as a whole during the course of the Aeon. One reflects the other, but the time scales are different.

Aeon418

Verse 147. The only meaningful correspondence I can find is that 147 is the sum total of all the divine names in the Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram.

IHVH(26) + ADNI(65) + AHIH(21) + AGLA(35) = 147

Beware! Hold! Raise the spell of Ra-Hoor-Khuit!

In the previous chapter there was the recuring theme of "lift up thyself." This was tied in with Middle Pillar symbolism and the raising of Kundalini. Ra-Hoor-Khuit is the deific image, the visible object of worship, symbolic of this attainment. He is the Solar icon suitable for those below the level of Tiphareth. The basic message is, if you want to be united with the Sun, you must first worship the Sun (which is of course the symbol of the HGA). This is where Thelema gets it's solar cult flavour, but it's only the first step.

My subjective feelings about this verse. I get the sense of a confused, chaotic, and disordered mess. This chaos could be interpreted on many different levels. In the midst of this disorder a blazing radiant sun suddenly appears as a focus and a rallying point for those lost in the darkness. LVX.

AVR, Light = 207
Verse 207. To Me do ye reverence! to me come ye through tribulation of ordeal, which is bliss.

by zero

There is division hither homeward
Yes, the second part of my AT signature.
Because I'm addressed here, sort of, with my first name and my surname.
I consider this a private message from the BotL to me.
I just haven't figured out what it means :)

So ... erm ... this might get a little tedious, you know me

This awkward hither homeward caught my attention almost at once, when I first read it.
Mostly because of my self-centered interest in every word that starts with an H like my first and my last name, especially when used in alliterations.
It took me a couple of years till I recognized, it is not only the h. h., that matches my name, but actually some of the other letters, too.

Namely:
HI###R HO###A##

The count of the letters (each, first name + last name) is identical, the #s marking differing letters.

Now, what does that mean?
In a free style attribution of the 0 = 2 formula, I decided to drop the equal letters and keep the different ones:

HITHER
HILMAR

becomes

THE
LMA

which is almost (!;)) THELEMA
if you turn the M upside down, it is THE LAW
MLA is the fullness
LAM is the gate or this guy with the big head

MAL is German for
1. mark, marking
2. multiplied by, times (x)​

So this is full of off-by-one errors to get something meaningful.
Pretty funny, especially in the light of defunct spelling :)

And who is Thelma?

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Well there is a dual message in this third chapter. The K&C of HGA is the first "ordeal" for the individual magician. But it is also the "next step" for humanity as a whole during the course of the Aeon. One reflects the other, but the time scales are different.

I was just reading about this in Eshelman's commentary. I found this interesting also.

Whereas Nuit in Cap. I is the foundation or basis of nihilism, and Hadit in Cap. II of monism, so is Heru-Ra-Ha in Cap. III the foundation of a philosophy of dualism. Within Thelema, all three of these rivers of philosophy coexist, and our Qabalah shows how they are necessarily interrelated and coexistent.

This is actually kind of stunning to realize. There is a sense of perfection to it. I don't quite see how the Qabalah shows this yet, but it's a new concept for me.

zero said:
So this is full of off-by-one errors to get something meaningful.
Pretty funny, especially in the light of defunct spelling

I have, on occasion wondered if defunct spelling could be a reference to II:76 somehow.

zero said:
And who is Thelma?

:laugh:
I ask my spelll checker this everytime it tries to correct Thelema.

AW