The Book of The Law Study Group 3.6

Aeon418

The phrase "enginery of war" suggests to me pentagrams and hexagrams. In the various rituals these are set up around our Island-self.

According to the letter/Tarot sequence I've discussed in previous threads this verse would correspond to the letter Vav and the Hierophant. And right there on the card are the War engines. As has also been mentioned before, we are only "at war" when we obstruct or block LVX. (WAR/AWR-Light) The War engines are actually engines of LVX. This is reinforced by the Solar verse number, 6.

The word "Dung" seems significant in relation to the letter Vav because of the correspondence to the sign of Taurus. Could it mean bull shit? :laugh: As humorous as it sounds, it just might. (It does put a nice spin on the old phrase, "you're full of it". :laugh:)

In Hebrew the word shit could be rendered, ShT. If you've read any Crowley you might already be familiar with this. Shin-Teth is the nature of the Aeon of Horus. It is Force & Fire, the very characteristics of Ra-Hoor-Khuit himself.
For more on ShT see the essay that follows Liber V vel Reguli.
http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib5.html

Interesting correspndences:

ShT. Crowley linked this word with the god, Set. In Hebrew the word ShT means transgression. This is interesting when you consider that Liber V begins with an "animadversion" to the New Aeon. (The "sinister" Hierophant gives an inverted sign of benediction. ;)) This suggests re-orientation. (WAR/AWR)

This is verse 151. 777 gives: IHVH ALHIM IHVH AChD - Tetragrammaton of the Gods is one Tetragrammaton.
The rituals of pent & hex are a unifying engine. They "smite the peoples", the divided and fragmented aspects of ourselves, with Unity - AChD.
AChD has the same value as AHBH, Love, which is Union - Vav.

All's fair in Love and War. :)

Aeon418

One of the various meanings of the word dung is to cover land with manure. This fertilizes the ground and makes it productive. Alchemical putrefactio!

ShT = 309. This is also the value of ShDH - Field, soil, land.

The word dung also makes me think of the Scarab beetle as it pushes it's ball of (Sun) dung around. This could be likened to the magician as they work their way around the circle.

Being the god of the Outer order RHK likes beetles a lot, for the aspirant must come through midnight to reach the Sun.(Atu XVIII The Moon.) The practices that fertilize the soil of the aspirant also shake up his/her world through the process of alchemical solve. The Dark Night of the Soul must be passed through, and the illusory aspects of the lower self must be conquered during this phase. But...
Whatever horrors may afflict the soul, whatever abominations may excite the loathing of the heart, whatever terrors may assail the mind, the answer is the same at every stage: "How splendid is the Adventure!" ~ Book of Thoth
Initiation in the Aeon of the Child, chpt.4 - Corridors of Twilight covers this phase of the work in detail.
Now I begin to pray: Thou Child,
Holy Thy name and undefiled!
Thy reign is come; Thy will is done.
Here is the Bread; here is the Blood.
Bring me through midnight to the Sun!
Save me from Evil and from Good!
That Thy one crown of all the Ten
Even now and here be mine. AMEN.

From Liber 44

Aeon418

The pentagram. 5 points - Geburah - Mars - War.
Engine: a machine or contrivance for converting energy into motion or force.
This definition of an engine makes me think of Crowley's comment on the number 5. "Motion coming to the aid of Matter." Through the symbol of the pentagram the magician tries to tap into this energy and bring it down to a different level. In this respect the pentagram symbol acts like an engine, converting one form of energy into another.

From another angle the symbol can be seen as a mediator between the magician and the power that the symbol represents. Once more this suggests the letter Vav.

Grigori

Dung is such a strange word in this context. It should be a noun, but seems like a verb. And a verb that seems misused in any literal sense.

Also it seems strange to bring tools of war to an island. Who is going to lay siege to the island?

Aeon418

Grigori said:
Who is going to lay siege to the island?
Every island is under siege by the sea.
By rousing himself, by earnestness, by restraint and control, the
wise man may make for himself an island which no flood can overwhelm.

Always Wondering

I found these quotes by Eshelman helpful.

The “island” may be a chakra, as AC speculated. Even more deeply, being a dry protrusion from a surrounding sea, it is a symbol of Hadit, a point of view within the Great Sea of Nuit. Here is the emergence, or coming forth, of a discrete individual. On a lower plane, it is the formulation of a distinctive ego on similar principles. It basically says, “Determine who you are.”

This is not the god of some petty human need for revenge, but the great God of Justice. “War and Vengeance,” closely examined, mean Light and Justice, Tiphereth and Geburah — Ra and Hoor.

In verse 4, “island” has the broader and subtler meaning previously suspected. The word is used broadly in English to mean anything completely isolated in the way that an island is isolated. As such, it means any object of meditation whatsoever, and also is a distinctive metaphor of Hadit’s nature. Interestingly, the Indo-European root is akwa- (the Latin aqua) meaning “water.” All objects of attention, as all individual beings, are isolations within an infinite ocean of consciousness, the Qabalistic Great Sea.

I hadn't made the connection between Nuit and the Qabalistic Great Sea before.

I really like using the phrase Light-enigine. It helps me take the focus off the external.

Sorry, I am having a hard time dealing with this group of verses individually. I have read the esay in Liber V vel Reguli but given my habit of waylaying threads I think I can wait a line or two for my questions.
Not to mention dispersion and Chronozon. :laugh: I'll find a way to work that in, eventually.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I hadn't made the connection between Nuit and the Qabalistic Great Sea before.
The Great Sea corresponds to Binah. All Binah symbols are lower manifestations of Nuit. So things like the Great Sea, the Great Mother, and Babalon are representative of Nuit. But none of these symbols is capable of containing the totality of Nuit herself. Their chief value lies in their accessablility to our minds. They give our minds something tangible to hold on to.

So while Nuit herself is more of a mystical idea that requires a different level of consciousness to understand, all of us are capable of connecting to a symbol like the Cosmic Mother or the Great Sea.
Always Wondering said:
I really like using the phrase Light-enigine. It helps me take the focus off the external.
The symbolism of chapter III is very visceral and earthy. The mind seems to be instictively pulled towards literal interpretations. But to me that seems perfect for a chapter aimed at pre-Adepts, whose symbol is the Averse Pentagram. (Turn your Devil card upside down and close his Third Eye.)
Always Wondering said:
Sorry, I am having a hard time dealing with this group of verses individually.
I have that problem with all 220 verses. :laugh:
I think one of the main difficulties with the format of this study group is it's tendency to view each verse in isolation.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
Dung is such a strange word in this context. It should be a noun, but seems like a verb. And a verb that seems misused in any literal sense.
Dung is a noun and a verb. In one sense it literally means manure. But it also means covering land with manure.

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Every island is under siege by the sea.

Yes, an even a high point can be surrounded by water, like the flood that some of us are finding ourselves in.

The sea can be seen as a symbol of the unconscious.

One way I was looking at this, before the flood, was that a strong island or high vantage point can be besieged by the sea (in a cyclone or storm) or a flood of water, symbolised by (among other things) the emotions and feeling realm.

We need to fortify our islands and put in place our practices, especially to be ready for times of tests and trials, within and without.

Todays reading from the Dali Lama reminds me of the importance of DAILY practice. Daily practice certainly fortifies one ... more than trying to get a quick fix (practice when trouble comes).

Okay ... if I have it now, can 'you' please stop raining?