RWS 8 Swords - mud bath or sandy shore?

Cara Jackson

Hi folks, I guess you can tell by now I am steadfastly working my way through the RWS pack - starting with Major Arcana and now doing Swords, well , on that note:-

1) Is is a muddy mess she is standing on or the shoreline, whence the tide has retreated? I figure its the latter - any one got 'expert' advice or quotes from Waite?

Many thanks - as ever - Cara on the computer x

rota

I have always read it as simply a barren space, one without vegetation or anything in particular to see.

Cara Jackson

Yeah, but isnt that sea to the far left?

Thanks for input, yet, is that not sea we 'see' on the far left?

roppo

I believe the card shows scene of the Mont Saint-Michel of Normady, or St Michael's Mount of Cornwall. The woman in the card is left bound and hoddwinked in low tide shore. She would be surely drowned in high tide, which means she is a sort of sacrifice or something to that effect. Andromeda?

lucifall

roppo said:
I believe the card shows scene of the Mont Saint-Michel of Normady, or St Michael's Mount of Cornwall. The woman in the card is left bound and hoddwinked in low tide shore. She would be surely drowned in high tide, which means she is a sort of sacrifice or something to that effect. Andromeda?

This is really a nice view! I never noticed it, but the environment really looks like that of Mont Saint-Michel!
Luci

oddtarot

This may not be very relevant.

When I see that card, I always think that the swords around her could help her (cutting off the ropes on her) or harming her (poking her).

Sulis

I see it as low tide so muddy sand too.. And yes, when the tide comes in she's going to be scuppered so she'd better get a move on to still her mind, shrug off those ropes, get rid of the blindfold and make her way carefully through those swords.

Cara Jackson

Thanks for all the input and confirmation x Cara

CarboniteSky

I see the water there to indicate that healing and release is possible. Also if she were brave enough to walk to freedom the water might guide her out...

Cara Jackson

Nice sentiement Carbonitesky x Cara