Trimming a 'greenie' Thoth

RLG

Dwtw

A recent experiment in trimming a 'greenie' Thoth has resulted in the following conclusions.

As many of us are already aware, not all of the card images on the 'greenie' deck are the same size. This makes trimming a much more difficult process, but it's feasible if you take certain precautions.

Some of the cards will have to retain a small amount of the border, but this is necessary if you want all the cards to be the same size. Since the images themselves are irregular, it is best to do this on a paper cutter, rather than with scissors. This way, you can mark the platform with tape, (like a few layers of masking tape),and use that as a cutting guide;
then all the cards will end up approximately the same size, and you can then send down the edges to remove any discrepancies when you're all done.

I recommend using a card with a solid color background as your template size; the 7 or 4 of Wands should work fine for this, as these are solid and also represent the 'correct' image size.

First, have a couple pieces of masking tape ready;
Second, carefully trim off the top border of the 7 of Wands, and then keep the card in place after being cut, while taping it to the platform with the spare pieces of masking tape;
Third, lay a piece along the edge of the card opposite the blade to mark the overall length you want to cut. Once this marking tape is in place, you can move the 7 of Wands and starting cutting other cards.

The tape guide should get you very close, and you can adjust the cards as you cut if need be.

The important part is that the following cards all have a smaller image height than the majority of the deck; therefore when these are cut by using the cutting guide, they will leave some border showing, (especially the 3 of Wands) - you may want to do these last:

Priestess
Hierophant
Chariot
Lust
Art
Tower
Sun
2 of Wands
3 of Wands
Queen of Wands
Knight of Wands
Ace of Cups
Prince of Cups
Princess of Cups
9 of Swords
10 of Swords
Princess of Swords
10 of Disks
Prince of Disks

The Knight of Disks should be treated with caution - he is the only one who is badly proportioned in both the vertical and horizontal plane. Thus he will end up with some border showing on all four sides.

One you have all the top edges of the majority of the cards cut, you can then remove the tape guide, take the 7 of Wands again and repeat the procedure above after cutting off the bottom border.

Once the top and bottom borders have been removed, the rest is fairly easy; you just repeat the tape-guide procedure for both of the long sides.
Most of the cards are very close in size in the vertical plane, (with the exception of the aforementioned Knight of Wands and the 9 of Swords - leave these for last).
Using a tape guide for both sides will leave you with a few cards that have a whisker of a border; you can either trim these to the image, or wait until you're all finished and then sand down the card edges for consistency.

I hope this information will be of assistance to anyone intrepid enough to dare trimming a greenie Thoth.

Litlluw
RLG

RLG

All that being said, I am now in need of a Knight of Wands from the greenie, as I over-trimmed him in my zeal. To a lesser extent, I wouldn't mind having another 9 of Swords either.
If anyone has a spare of either of these cards, please PM me, and I can arrange to pay you for it.

Thanks
RLG

Lillie

Don't it ruin the backs?

RLG

Yes, the backs do get 'ruined'. The yellow top of the cross is fine, and the green bottom is just clear of the cut, but the blue and red arms get cut down a slight bit. I suppose one could cut just clear of the red and blue points, which would give you small vertical borders on the card front.

BodhiSeed

That's weird... I've trimmed two greenies, and they were all the same size. The backs seem fine too. Maybe I have a different version?

RLG

Do you mean the backs show the full rosy cross design after trimming? If so, then perhaps the copy I trimmed was a different printing, because the image sizes were definitely not all the same size.

Le Fanu

That's weird... I've trimmed two greenies, and they were all the same size. The backs seem fine too. Maybe I have a different version?
Sure it's not a green box version?

Emily

I've re-read this thread a couple of times over the past few days and eventually I have to ask - Why did you trim a greenie? Why not just a normal Thoth? The greenies go in and out of favour but there will never be anymore printed and as there were varying shades of green, each one is pretty unique.

My greenie is treasured because of its uniqueness and I love the shades of green in the border, the wash over the whole card and also the cardstock which is fantastic to shuffle.

I know its nothing to do with me what anyone does to their decks but I couldn't do that to my greenie, it is special.

Laura Borealis

I was thinking the same thing, Emily.

One less vintage Thoth in the world. :(