Mini vs. Pocket Rider Waite???

Emily

I got the pocket size RWS included in the US Games "The Complete Tarot Kit". I wondered how they managed to make the two decks - the RWS and the Thoth in the same size, as they have different proportion (the Thoth is wider than the RWS with the same height). Then I noticed that the RWS deck's height is a bit "compressed" to get the proportion. This can be seen especially in the cards with big round elements - Wheel of Fortune, the Moon, the Sun - they are not perfect round, rather slightly oval. I am not sure if the separately sold pocket size edition is the same included in the kit. This is a bit displeasing though.

These are useful little decks to have though, very portable. :) The books are ok too but the tarot book confuses the Rider Waite/Thoth Kings.

Le Fanu

I have an older mini RWS. Lovely unlaminated cardstock and no US Games copyright. The newer one has the copyright on it. Such a lovely little deck (the older one).

SarahStar

I have the mini deck and the regular one, and I love the mini one. I do some readings at lunch at work and it's the perfect size when you don't have a lot of desk space. It's also good for larger spreads in small spaces. Now that I've been using it for readings so much I'm starting to really enjoy the RWS and appreciate it more than ever.

Richard

I have, among others, a Belgian mini and a Chinese pocket edition. The mini is my favorite of the two, a truly exquisite printing. It's my mobile deck and travels with me everywhere in my motor vehicle. The copyright is but a tiny grey blur on the lower right border, hardly noticeable to my farsighted eyeballs.

Zephyros

These are useful little decks to have though, very portable. :) The books are ok too but the tarot book confuses the Rider Waite/Thoth Kings.

I'm curious. How does it confuse them?

Richard

I'm curious. How does it confuse them?
I'm curious too. The Rider-Waite uses the exoteric terminology of Book T for the courts, Thoth the esoteric. Knights (Fire) ride on horseback. Kings/Princes (Air) sit in chariots or (in the RWS) on thrones.

IrenaB

Please correct me if not properly, but the confusion is about Princes / Knights / Kings meanings. In the book (included in "the Complete Tarot Kit" by US Games) there are both RWS and Crowley's Knights compared as of similar meaning (though, not exactly). In contrast, other sources (Banzhaf) indicate RWS Knight conformity to Crowley's Prince, and RWS King - to Crowley's Knight.

Richard

If you go by image similarity: Crowley Knight = Waite Knight, Crowley Prince = Waite King. If you go by royal rank: Crowley Knight = Waite King, Crowley Prince = Waite Knight. Qabalistic, Elemental, and Astrological considerations, which I consider to be crucially important, complicate the discrepancy even more. The problem is with the Waite deck, not the Thoth, because The Book of Thoth explains exactly what Crowley intended. Waite was not so straightforward.

Emily

Please correct me if not properly, but the confusion is about Princes / Knights / Kings meanings. In the book (included in "the Complete Tarot Kit" by US Games) there are both RWS and Crowley's Knights compared as of similar meaning (though, not exactly). In contrast, other sources (Banzhaf) indicate RWS Knight conformity to Crowley's Prince, and RWS King - to Crowley's Knight.

Yes that's it :)

Sorry forgot I had posted here. It is the Complete Tarot Kit book that mixes them up. Also I always put the Queen first.

Crowley Knight = King

Margo9023

Tarot dance

Hi,

I’m confused, I have always read with what I refer to as the Mini Rider Waite. Now I am seeing Pocket Rider Waite…is this the same deck?

Thanks in advance

Hi Tarot dance!

I bought the Miniature Rider Waite for our daughter and realized it was smaller than the Pocket Rider Waite Tarot, so I winded up buying both for her.

Miniature Rider Waite - 3" by a little less than 2" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0913866598/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pocket Rider Waite - 3 1/2" by 2 1/4"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0880793465/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1