where to start? how to start?

brad

I'm hoping to find a way to study the iconography of all 78 cards of the WRS. Does this forum have them all? Is there a book for it?

How would a person start that kind of study? Just start from 0 and end at Kg of P's?

Any advice would be great!

Richard

Here is a place to start, but a lot of the posts consist of free-association meanderings by soothsayers, so they are not necessarily relevant to the iconography of the deck. The RWS was not originally designed primarily as a divination tool.

kail1988

Here is a place to start, but a lot of the posts consist of free-association meanderings by soothsayers, so they are not necessarily relevant to the iconography of the deck. The RWS was not originally designed primarily as a divination tool.

why did you say that? So which deck was designed primarily as a divination tool?

Richard

why did you say that? So which deck was designed primarily as a divination tool?
Waite was not a gifted fortune teller. The deck was designed as a study deck for his students in one of the Golden Dawn offshoots. It has a lot of occult symbolism which is not needed for divination. But the truth about the deck is not very popular, so why not think whatever you want to think, and don't bother about the facts? It is amazing how deeply feelings run about this matter. I thought the RWS forum was OK for historical stuff, but maybe I should just shut up altogether.

After viewing your profile, kail1988, I should add that anything can be used for fortune telling. Apparently the Marseille was invented as a card game (although the jury is still out on that, as far as I'm concerned). There is not a lot that we know for sure. Most of the RWS clones apparently were designed for divination because they leave out the occult stuff or else get it wrong. An ordinary poker deck is also an effective divination tool. Use whatever you wish, whether or not it was designed for the purpose which you have in mind.

kail1988

Waite was not a gifted fortune teller. The deck was designed as a study deck for his students in one of the Golden Dawn offshoots. It has a lot of occult symbolism which is not needed for divination. But the truth about the deck is not very popular, so why not think whatever you want to think, and don't bother about the facts? It is amazing how deeply feelings run about this matter. I thought the RWS forum was OK for historical stuff, but maybe I should just shut up altogether.

After viewing your profile, kail1988, I should add that anything can be used for fortune telling. Apparently the Marseille was invented as a card game (although the jury is still out on that, as far as I'm concerned). There is not a lot that we know for sure. Most of the RWS clones apparently were designed for divination because they leave out the occult stuff or else get it wrong. An ordinary poker deck is also an effective divination tool. Use whatever you wish, whether or not it was designed for the purpose which you have in mind.

thanks for your reply. I used to use some decks: RW, Tdm, and some modern decks, but I feel something wrong with them because their purpose. Rw for studying, Tdm for playing and other for sale. I thought that have some decks which can make me satisfied. I still find the "true" tarot - the deck is design as divination tool.