The Book of The Law Study Group 3.62

ravenest

... Earlier in the Book of the Law Nuit tells us to dedicate our experiences to her. Through a process of mindful awareness Nuit(the Universe) is able to co-experience her infinite possiblities with us. This act of conscious sharing and openess to experience is relatively easy provided that the experiences are those that the ego considers pleasurable. But what happens if Nuit(the Universe) presents us with a negative situation or a painful experience? All of a sudden that openess to experience that we have been cultivating switches off. We instinctively retreat from the painful situation and habitual ego defence walls go up. But there is no reason why our experience of pain cannot be dedicated to, and shared with, Nuit. If practiced with an open heart and without resistance it can be transformative and psychologically healing...

This is a very good paragraph and seems to capture the essence of my Thelemic 'religious' practice. I recommend that anyone with a difficulty understanding these concepts (and are interested in the Thelemic viewpoint) read it carefully a few times.

An important psychological process is at work here regardless of the metaphor one is attracted to.

The concept of; "Through a process of mindful awareness Nuit (the Universe) is able to co-experience her infinite possibilities with us." gives us our whole reason and purpose for being alive.

" We instinctively retreat from the painful situation and habitual ego defence walls go up." And that makes the situation worse. I know if I am having a bout of bad physical pain (and I do occasionally, aside from accidents, kidney stones and other events I have a painful disability plus for other reasons and conditions I can’t take painkillers except in very extreme situations) if I 'release it' it doesn’t go away but I am less attached to it. If my 'ego' is not so centralised and closed the pain isn’t all mine, I can 'share it around'.

I see similar processes at work with love and dedication in, for example, the willingness to accept just about anything on the part of a good parent for the good of the child. Some give their 'psycho/emotive' pain and guilt to Christ or Krishna and have a total change in their makeup.

Wilson vanDusen (hard core case psychiatrist - who treated 'hopeless' cases of schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder by assuming they WERE possessed by good or bad 'spirits' [after Swedenbough] ) found when someone could be cured part of the process involved enlisting them in social work, even if it was handing out food in a soup kitchen, it helped their recovery; taking part in a bigger social picture outside the concept of a closed self and sharing around what they had.

I found, aside from constant mindfulness, one of the best ways and times to be mindfull of this and clear up and realease any little packets of missed or blocked up energy in this regard was sunset Resh, releasing the experience of the day to Nuit and any risidual attachment.
- Tum is joy.

ravenest

Crowley encouraged Thelemites to say 'Will' before a meal.

Monologue Will for solo performance.

Knock 3-5-3 (11 knocks in all. 3 followed by 5 followed by 3. Five within 6.)

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
It is my Will to eat and drink.
That my body may be fortified thereby.
That I may accomplish the Great Work.
Love is the law, love under will.

Single knock. Eat.

Short version (and a 'blessing' for any activity);

There is no grace
There is no guilt
Love is the Law
Do what thou wilt.

Milfoil

Excellent and important points Aeon and ravenest. I've also found that sitting with (accepting and facing) physical and emotional pain brings a similar sense of release. It ties in with the doing something for someone else having healing qualities too. By owning, accepting and examining the pain we change the fear and other feelings of dread, anger and upset which surrounds painful experiences into a more equal partnership. The focus of the pain is no longer 'me' and how I hurt but the pain itself which I have chosen to scrutinise. By switching the focus of attention away from the self and out towards something else, the selfish "I'm hurting - waaaahh!" is lessened.

Focussing on how our actions help others (other people, animals, places, trees, concepts etc), even the mundane actions, and how our pain is an expression of the Universe which is just as valid as our joy, somehow changes it. Again, it all comes down to intention and action. So this isn't mindless dreaming away the pain, wishing it were not there - quite the opposite, this is turning around, looking it straight in the eye, grabbing it by the whatsists and knowing it.

Every hero myth from around the world says the same thing - on the journey you have many problems to face. What we see today is a world based on anaesthetics and distractions, we are raised in a society which actively promotes comfort and ease rather than the hero's quest and the hero's quest has morphed into financial success. How can Nuit be Nuit if all of existence were the brightness of a star with no darkness to throw it into contrast?

Always Wondering

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I have been through some changes and this is the first time I've been able to focus on all of your words.

Will probably have read again. :|

Happy Holy Days. :heart:

AW

Always Wondering

I was able to read Liber Tzaddi in a whole new light this morning! As many times as I've read it, I never realized how uplifting it is.

Earlier in the Book of the Law Nuit tells us to dedicate our experiences to her. Through a process of mindful awareness Nuit(the Universe) is able to co-experience her infinite possiblities with us. This act of conscious sharing and openess to experience is relatively easy provided that the experiences are those that the ego considers pleasurable. But what happens if Nuit(the Universe) presents us with a negative situation or a painful experience? All of a sudden that openess to experience that we have been cultivating switches off. We instinctively retreat from the painful situation and habitual ego defence walls go up. But there is no reason why our experience of pain cannot be dedicated to, and shared with, Nuit. If practiced with an open heart and without resistance it can be transformative and psychologically healing.

Not to mention old family dynamics. They suck me in faster than anything.

The bit about the "Golden Thread" is connected to how the practices of the Great Work open one up and soften the rigid walls of the ego. That subtle sense of guidance is felt when you're open to it. As I've said above, certain reactive behaviours and defence machanisms produce the opposite effect. Liber Tzaddi v.23 is just trying to point out something that might go unnoticed. As the saying goes, forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks, I've been wondering much about this.

AW

Aeon418

I was able to read Liber Tzaddi in a whole new light this morning! As many times as I've read it, I never realized how uplifting it is.

It's not called, Liber Tzaddi vel Hamus Hermeticus, for nothing. The Book of the Hermetic Fish-hook.

Take the bait and get hooked! :laugh:

Always Wondering

Thank-you, Ravenest, that was very helpful. I had fogotten all about it. Magick Without Tears is the first Crowley book I read and I keep meaning to get back and reread it.

It's not called, Liber Tzaddi vel Hamus Hermeticus, for nothing. The Book of the Hermetic Fish-hook.

Take the bait and get hooked! :laugh:

I have been swimming around that hook for so long, I was rather shocked to get got. :laugh:

AW

Zephyros

I read it today and then remembered this thread. It really helped me with Lust.