RWS Witch cards

Richard

Fascinating to see these cards. Thanks.

Thoth then Hermetic image, but what deck is the third image from?
The Golden Dawn Tarot by Robert Wang.

Richard

......Also, wouldn't The High Priestess also be possibly considered a 'Witch card' because of the crescent moon symbolism shown twice on the card (her crown and the moon at her feet)?

Waite even mentions Isis in her description but then there is all the other stuff that throws that idea off (J and B pillars).
Yes, her headdress portrays the waxing, full, and waning moon. Thus she may be thought of as the Triple Moon Goddess of the Witches. She also is Mary the Mother of God/Jesus (Queen of Heaven) and Mary of Magdala. Isis is often taken to be representative of all the goddesses rolled into one, not to be taken too literally. She is the universal Goddess. Among other things, the Jachin and Boaz columns bring her also into the realm of the Abrahamic religions. There is more, much more, about her which is very important, but it would take us off topic for this forum.

agent199

Aha, so The High Priestess can be thought of as Isis herself.
So as Waite says, she represents the Occult sciences of Isis.
I just want to be sure I am putting this together correctly.

Richard

Aha, so The High Priestess can be thought of as Isis herself.
So as Waite says, she represents the Occult sciences of Isis.
That is probably a valid statement, as far as it goes. Just keep in mind the last sentence of Waite's description: "There are some respects in which this card is the highest and holiest of the Greater Arcana."

Richard

what a delightfully measured response to a search for absolutes.
Thank you, (I think :)). Sometimes I wonder whether absolutes even exist except as concepts. The High Priestess represents the Shekinah, a Hebrew feminine noun which refers to the presence of God. Whatever God is (if it really exists), I reckon it is supposed to be the most absolute of absolutes, maybe..... Obviously, I'm no good at talking about this kind of stuff, or even thinking about it, for that matter. If I'm not mistaken, I think that another person on AT considers the High Priestess to actually be the Holy of Holies in the Temple, where the Shekinah dwells.

agent199

Fascinating historical info Ravenest.