how not to beat a question to death?

TinySpark

Hi All,

Soooo. I know we all have long and short term recurring issues, like relationship problems, career problems, family issues, etc.

How do we stop beating a dead horse? I know I am guilty of it to some degree. Every 3-5 weeks I ask the basically the same question of the tarot, phrased differently in vain hopes of getting "the" answer to all my prayers: How to get along with certain family members.

Is there even a point in stopping myself from asking the same-ish question? I mean using the tarot as a tool for problem solving seems like a fairly obvious choice.

Thoughts on what makes a recurring question to the tarot futility at work?

Kgirl

It seems futile to me to ask the same question if there have been no new developments on the subject matter.

I like to try to ask about something very close to the time of it happening and then I'm happy. When something new changes, for example, a romantic interest that you see regularly and you feel the dynamics change each time, then I think its ok to ask questions on that same romantic interest.

What I don't get is when a sitter asks about a romantic interest or former partner who has made it clear they want nothing to do with the sitter, the dynamic has not changed since they declared they wanted nothing to do with them and they haven't even seen or heard from that person in months, sometimes years and then asking about that person over and over. That is just stupid and you need to move on.

TinySpark

That's very true girl. I think I should just stop asking the question of no major dynamic has changed. Thanks I was feeling frustrated with getting the same message just not understanding the message lol

TinySpark

Should say kg irk err kiosk lol kgirl meh!!! Not girl kgirl

jolie_amethyst

One option: try this Serenity spread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=92235 Or there are others about letting go of things in the Spreads section of the forum.

I do get like this once in a while still. What I personally do:
A) recognize there's one problem here that I can actually fix, and that's me being obsessive on a given subject--sometimes, that alone is enough to stop the process, but if not, then...
B) do ONE one card advice reading: "What's the next thing I should do on this subject?"
C) stop reading on that subject until I've actually followed through on that advice and given a bit of time for things to happen as a result of that advice
D) repeat steps B & C until either something changes or I reach acceptance with the fact that the situation cannot be fixed--usually, it's the latter

What I don't do: ever read on that subject again about anything other than advice. I never draw more than one card, period; this includes more clarifiers--if you don't understand the advice, think on it a while or ask here, but drawing additional cards only feeds your obsession.

And I never do another reading on the subject until I've followed the advice from the previous reading (and given time for that to work!) Often, Tarot makes it quickly obvious that the situation is going nowhere, like it or not. (My favorites I've gotten: my Significator, to say "what you already are is enough"; 8/Swords=accept your limitations or those of the situation in order to free yourself; 9/Swords=most of the problem at this point is your reaction to the situation; 10/Swords=it's done, it's over, it's well beyond fixing, give up already, get out of your own head and go do something else, for pity's sake!)

The more I've done this, the less often I've had to do it, because let's face it, being told over and over in different ways that there's nothing you can do to change the problem gets rather boring. And even though on a strictly logical level, I already know it can't be fixed, being told by the cards that there's nothing I can do reinforces that enough to make it easier to live with.

Sometimes, I'll get actual, useful advice to follow, like a getting a 2/Cups and recognizing that I need to act with loving-kindness towards those involved, for example. Or a court card that indicates who I need to approach or what traits I myself need to practice to bring things back on track. This advice may not totally resolve the problem; at times, it's one of several things you need to do. Often it's just another step on the path to acceptance. But it has happened where I've followed advice from a single card and watched a particularly thorny problem simply vanish.

Honestly though, I think it's best to just force yourself to stop and put the cards away as soon as you realize you've fallen into that cycle. It's rarely productive to spend time trying to fix these things; 90% of the time, there's nothing you can do but accept things as they are and either walk away or find a workaround that allows you to function well in spite of the problem.

prudence

What I don't get is when a sitter asks about a romantic interest or former partner who has made it clear they want nothing to do with the sitter, the dynamic has not changed since they declared they wanted nothing to do with them and they haven't even seen or heard from that person in months, sometimes years and then asking about that person over and over. That is just stupid and you need to move on.
This is a sad scenario that plays out so often around here, it can be painful and frustrating to watch, it just seems so unhealthy. Questions on the former romantic interest, and his current relationship/marriage, questions about his feelings towards his GF/wife, leading to new questions because the reader is seeing only what she wants to see in the answers being given, ie yes, GF/wife is a horrible person, he is trapped in the relationship/marriage, and the ever popular "he's definitely looking to move on and reunite with the reader" etc. So many of the readings are based on speculation and wishful thinking due to misreading previous spreads. It becomes its own vicious cycle, and sometimes it seems the reader/seeker just wants to play in a make believe world where the cards are saying everything she wants to believe, even though nothing has actually happened in real life to give any hope.

SirRushing

I have the habit of asking the same question daily and several times a day. Usually over romance related stuff. I think I am obsessed because I am bored with my life, or that part of my life. And I want tarot to entertain me.

TinySpark

This is a sad scenario that plays out so often around here, it can be painful and frustrating to watch, it just seems so unhealthy.

I dread receiving romance questions on the reading exchange because of that. I don't know how professional readers put up with it. It's must feel like being a helpless bartender therapist, listening to people go on and on about false hopes while drowning their sorrows day after day after day.

It is frustrating to watch, it's why I stopped reading on the exchange for over a year. People are looking for that winning combination of tarot cards that will be like their personal lotto ticket to love and happiness.

But, my question isn't really about those kind of "romantic" questions. But it probably follows the same vein of thought. I guess I just hoped that since you can't choose family like you do romantic partners, that I could invoke change with guidance from the tarot. But really after quarterly readings on the situation for over a year, trying every avenue available to me. Well I understand why it's hard for some people to give up to give up on the pipe dream of a happy family/love life/etc. etc... Doesn't make it any less sad though.

tarotot_yeezus

Do you keep a tarot journal? When I find myself wanting to repeatedly ask the same questions, I go back and look at past readings that I've done about the questions. Sometimes I pull those cards back out and look at them again. Maybe you will see something you missed the first time. Look at the cards and what you wrote. If the cards suggested a course of action, did you take it? Does any other advice spring to mind?
Dont do this too many times either, but its a way to kind of sate your curiosity without going over and over the same thing. More like reviewing notes before a test then rereading the book over and over.

TinySpark

Do you keep a tarot journal? When I find myself wanting to repeatedly ask the same questions, I go back and look at past readings that I've done about the questions. Sometimes I pull those cards back out and look at them again. Maybe you will see something you missed the first time. Look at the cards and what you wrote. If the cards suggested a course of action, did you take it? Does any other advice spring to mind?
Dont do this too many times either, but its a way to kind of sate your curiosity without going over and over the same thing. More like reviewing notes before a test then rereading the book over and over.

that's a great idea tarotot. I used to keep a tarot journal but then I moved and had to rid myself of a lot of stuff so that the move was manageable. I think I will start that up again. thanks!