The Roses and the Lilies

Parzival

The Roses and the Lilies.

The observation of roses and lilies on the two woshippers before the Hierophant is really important.This brings in the truth of balance between soul ( red of the rose ) and spirit ( white lily ) as essential to spiritual progress.The Hierophant is the enlightened Teacher born out of this balance.--- just an expanded,additional reading. Alchemically, the red lion weds the white lily to beget the Philosopher's Stone. That this appears again and again in Waite-Smith's Tarot is key to the deck.

tmgrl2

Thank you, Frank...good alchemical image....

terri

rainstarhorizon

roses and lillies

Thanx Sunseeker,It was one of my first posts and being such a tarotholic I sat here afterwards biting my nails over it...I really like YOUR name.It's windy winter here and only 6 degrees instead of a tolerable 17 so ATC's a good friend to have.
The rose was also used to symbolize a completed circle and the lily a cross reminding us of stops or stages along the way returning.Together the double circles of infinity.

Vincent

Rudolf Steiner

Parzival

Excellent quotation.

tmgrl2

Yes, thank you for that quote and the website, Vincent..I have saved the sight to peruse at my leisure. Much of my background re ego and spirit came from the Course in Miracles. I was raised a Catholic in the early forties, but my spiritual beliefs are constantly evolving.

terri

Fulgour

rose and lily

rainstarhorizon said:
The rose was also used to symbolize a completed circle and the lily a cross reminding us of stops or stages along the way returning.Together the double circles of infinity.
Temperance, for me, would not be the same card without the iris flowers,
and Death is festooned with the rose flag banner... two cards that are
linked very closely. Very, very closely.

I wish I could sit again and talk with my grandmothers, and how too I wish
that I had known my great-grandmothers, though I do have pictures.

Sometimes I wonder which decks they preferred for study, and which for
reading? They all lived in amazing times, facing choices I cannot imagine.

rainstarhorizon

I love ATF it's finally got me treating my "OCCULT?" paraphenalia as living members of my home. Barely a post on ATF goes by without me having to pick up a book, or sheet of paper or a set of cards or search a new site on the pc.

Fulgour you just reminded me of a pack of cards that is hungarian/viennese that my Gran gave me. It is a bit odd. I just dug it out.

The four suits are hearts for cups.
Ornamentally decorated walnuts for pentacles. (Dressed up in colours walnuts used to be hung on the H. Christmas Trees).
Wands are a half gold half green leaf and stem. (Maybe grape).
Acorns looking potent and joined in the appropriate numbered
bunches are the swords.

"The Pages" are also marked as representing seasons in almost a teaching mode as in, even in spring, remember to plan for winter-
so the attributes are not what one'd expect perhaps.

Hearts is Spring.
(Baubles/Walnuts) Pentacles is Summer.
Wands (Leaves) is Autumn.
Swords (Acorns) is Winter.

A bit of the unusual....

rainstarhorizon

Thankyou Fulgour.
L ooked at the card decks. Very interesting. the deck I mentioned has only 33- I thought it was incomplete but it fits perfectly in "it's" box.

Several of the "Fortune Telling Decks" on the site you posted only had around that many cards.