Thoth Study Group - Lust - XI

Babalon Jones

??

I have never understood how that is not a typo in BOT. The order of the precession of the equinoxes would be Aries(Libra), followed by Pisces(Virgo), then Aqua(Leo), right?? So why does Crowley say that the Aeons in order are Isis, Osiris, then Horus but that Isis is Pisces/Virgo and Osiris is Aries/Libra. Isn't that reversed? Doesn't it make more sense for the Isis aeon to be Aries/Libra (and, the ram & dove of Aries Libra fits Isis as Aphrodite and her consort Ares) and the Osiris aeon to be Pisces/Virgo, which fits the Dying/Sacrificial king mythology of Osiris and the story of Christ/Mary fishes/loaves.

Or am I missing something obvious? Anyone else think this is a BOT typo?

edited to add, see AW's post quoting BOT above mine

Aeon418

Or am I missing something obvious? Anyone else think this is a BOT typo?
It is a typo. There are lots of errors and mistakes in the Book of Thoth. You just have read around them. :D

I would just like to mention one thing though. Astrological ages and Aeons are not the same thing. There are points of connection and overlap, but they are essentially separate. The confusion surrounding this subject seems to stem from Crowley's assertion that an Aeon lasts for roughly 2000 years. Clearly he was trying to link astrological precession with his Aeonic model of human development. The trouble is that whereas the zodiac is like a giant clock marking time, human development is not progressing on any kind of fixed timescale and the boundaries between the different stages may vary quite a lot.

It is useful to be able to map the Aeonic model onto the astrological time line if you want to trace the development of religious symbolism and themes. But I would be wary about drawing too many conclusions.

It may be useful to consider that although Crowley said the Aeon of Horus began in 1904, we are currently still in the astrological age of Pisces. We are right at the ass end of Pisces, on the verge of entering Aquarius.

Babalon Jones

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was a typo, not the first one I've come across either :)
Being an astrologer and at one time an astronomy student that one always bugged me.

Get your point and totally agree about Astro Ages vs Aeons and the unlinear nature of human development.

Thanks for confirming!