Just bought the Thoth deck, Please help

Lillie

I think that is the medium sized one.
I have the bigger one, but it is hard to shuffle.

A new type smell has never really bothered me, it should just wear off in time.
At least it isn't the smell of a stranger, cos that's a bit icky!

But if you don't like the new smell, then all the things I mentioned before, incense, lavender, cleansing etc, would still help get rid of it.

thinbuddha

Lillie said:
No! I learned the Thoth with first the LWB, and then the Book of Thoth.

I still havn't read any of the others.

You are way smarter than I am about this sort of thing- I started reading BoT first, and realized pretty early on that I wasn't understanding about 90% of what was in front of me. At first, I thought Crowley was just insane. Now, I realize that he just writes with the assumption that his readers all have vastly more knowledge of Qaballa, astrology, mythology and other various topics than I have. I still stand by my recommendation, except for those who already know many or most of the topics Crowley assumes that his readers already know.

Alpha-Omega

i heard Crowley though he was god??

ravenest

Hi AO, have fun with your Thoth, a good choice that will still continue to reveal itself to you after many years.

If your cards smell and there are some things that you dont like about them it seems to suggest a good opportunity to do a little cleansing and consecration of them, get them smelling how you like with a good incense, this will help you to connect with them on a more subtle plane as well.

Alpha-Omega said:
i heard Crowley though he was god??

Um ... did you leave the end T off 'though'.? Crowley probably did think he was A god but I doubt he thought he was THE God - "There is no part of me that is not of the Gods.' was one of his 'affirmations'.

But then again, any thought we can have about god comes from us, so our concepts of God are based on our own narrow vision. Conversly then, we are the Gods.

[But I like the statement better without the T : I heard Crowley, (al)though he was God :) ]

Grigori

ravenest said:
Crowley probably did think he was A god but I doubt he thought he was THE God - "There is no part of me that is not of the Gods.' was one of his 'affirmations'.

Yep, A God, not The God. As we all can be if we work to get there. Although I wonder how long his impression of his "god-hood" lasted for....

ravenest

It would still be going wouldn't it?

Grigori

Well I wonder if he still felt like a god in his later years, as he got sicker and more addicted etc... What he feels now... *shrugs* Maybe someone should ask him. We could get in the newspapers })

Alpha-Omega I recommend this book as the place to start your Thoth study.

Then the Book of Thoth.

For meanings I really liked this one.

Also a good book on astrology will be a great thing if you want to go down that track. It made the minors and especialy the courts come alive for me.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15205

Netzach

I bought the Thoth a few weeks ago and, at the time, Keigh recommended that I get Angeles Arrien's The Tarot Handbook: practical applications of ancient visual symbols which is Thoth-oriented. It's just arrived and looks as though it will be extremely useful.

Alpha-Omega

The thing i hate about Thoth is that unlike the R-W you cant find Info on Thoth online. why is that?

Netzach

Alpha-Omega said:
The thing i hate about Thoth is that unlike the R-W you cant find Info on Thoth online. why is that?

What exactly are you looking for? I've just put "Thoth tarot" into Google and it came up with 275,000 references. Probably a lot of them aren't very informative - but I would have thought that some of them must have some useful stuff.