5 of disks (worry)

SilentBreeze

There are no threads on it yet, and I would like it discussed. I could never fully understand this card and it come up for me in almost every ready. And it was a card that got slighly bent, so that must mean something. It looks like a very powerful card and I'm very interested.

Anyway here are thoughs on it is that the card is a loss of power and seeing the world as threatening and not being very stable. It also seems like a card that can show the corruption of power. Its a very dark and powerful card. Maybe like a place for the dark rituals of demons... And then how would worry figure into it.

Baccus93

The five of pentacles (disks, coins) has many meanings you can attach to it. It is the number five in the sphere of earth (using the qabalistic notion of the four worlds, the world of ideas, energy, form, and physical). The number five relates to Entropy in the way i see things. When related to the physical world, this can seem a very frightening concept. Some scientists say that entropy guarantees that the Universe will eventually decay into nothing and freeze completely. That's plenty to worry about if you think about it from the cosmic stand point. The story used by Waite to depict this card is an injured couple, broke and haggard, facing a dreadful winter (note, the snow isn't that deep, so it is early winter yet). Again, it shows plenty to worry about.

But in certain readings this also denotes "True Love" because who else but true lovers stay together "through thick or thin, come hell or high water"? And I liken this to Love is the law, love under will where as a Thelemite I attribute the law of love to encompass all acts of change whatsoever, and entropy is the physical law of this Universe that guarantees that the only constant is change itself. So, yes, what's really to worry about?

I've studied psychology. In classes it has been given to us to remember that "worry is ruminating over a thing but doing nothing about it." Maybe this card also denotes doing nothing to improve a situation.

SilentBreeze

Thanks for the ideas, and adding a positive not to it. Seems like such a terrifying card especially in the thoth

YDM42

I have seen it as:
True Love
Rejection
Feeling Outside
Need
Desire
Want
Longing
Not having ones needs met
Even not paying attention to ones needs.

celticnoodle

Baccus93 said:
it shows plenty to worry about.
But in certain readings this also denotes "True Love" because who else but true lovers stay together "through thick or thin, come hell or high water"? And I liken this to Love is the law, love under will where as a Thelemite I attribute the law of love to encompass all acts of change whatsoever, and entropy is the physical law of this Universe that guarantees that the only constant is change itself. So, yes, what's really to worry about?

I've studied psychology. In classes it has been given to us to remember that "worry is ruminating over a thing but doing nothing about it." Maybe this card also denotes doing nothing to improve a situation.

Baccus93--I never really thought of it as "True Love" until you got me thinking about it. What a good spin to put on this card. Goes to show you that all cards in the tarot have good and not so good meanings with it. I really like this! And, glad to have the 'good' for this card.

This was a card I always disliked to see in a reading, because I always saw it as feeling left out in the cold---(just as the pic shows), and feeling abandoned as well as how SB sees it. Glad to have a good spin on it now as well!

SilentBreeze

I especially like the true love part, I was getting kind of worried (worried from the worry card) since it started comming up when I just started a relationship. Puts such a positive spin on it.

Aeon418

The 5 of Disks isn't really a bad card. It is generally interpreted as strain, loss of money or anxiety. But these are the ill-dignified meanings of the card.

The word Worry has other meanings such as to move with effort. You can worry along despite all obstacles and come out the other end to Success. This is why the positive meaning of this card is usually labour, land cultivation, building etc., etc.

I'm sure everyone here remembers when they were children that they would "worry" their loose milk teeth with their tongue until they fell out. Nothing bad about that, just a little effort.

SilentBreeze

I decided to look up the word worry so here it is..

Etymology: Middle English worien, from Old English wyrgan; akin to Old High German wurgen to strangle, Lithuanian verzti to constrict
transitive verb
1 dialect British : CHOKE, STRANGLE
2 a : to harass by tearing, biting, or snapping especially at the throat b : to shake or pull at with the teeth <a terrier worrying a rat> c : to touch or disturb something repeatedly d : to change the position of or adjust by repeated pushing or hauling
3 a : to assail with rough or aggressive attack or treatment : TORMENT b : to subject to persistent or nagging attention or effort
4 : to afflict with mental distress or agitation : make anxious
intransitive verb
1 dialect British : STRANGLE, CHOKE
2 : to move, proceed, or progress by unceasing or difficult effort : STRUGGLE
3 : to feel or experience concern or anxiety : FRET <worrying about his health>

Wouldn't it then be a very active card based on this?

Aeon418

SilentBreeze said:
Wouldn't it then be a very active card based on this?
The 5's are generally the most energetic minor cards but the suit of Disks represents the heaviest element, Earth. Earth doesn't like sudden changes. It usually takes a lot of effort to get it going. There's certainly a lot of friction and tension in this card but it doesn't always have to be of the negative kind. Sometimes a stale situation needs an influx of energy to shake things up and get them moving again.

mooiedragon

True Love?

I hate to be the pessimist here, but I don't see how the card of Worry can mean true love even though I definately see how true love can get you through Worry and lead you to Success. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about seeing the positive side of things... but I also believe in brutal honesty because without seeing that there is Worry true love cannot perservere.

It's like reading the Death card as a re-birthing. A lot of the cards signal change and transition, but I see Death is about letting something go in order to achieve a re-birthing and if you can't see what you have to let go of you won't go through that transition.

I hope I don't seem to be nitpicky here, but I'm just trying get a good grasp on this card, too! This card by itself I usually see as an indication of limits on the body, well-being, career, family, etc. I read it as strain over these limitations. Depending on how it appears in a spread, I might see a more positive energy from it - moving forward with ease or unexpected good news. I may even suggest that True Love can get somebody through this time, but I wouldn't suggest that the appearance of this card indicates the appearance of True Love in the seekers life.

But... I'm no expert and I really hope that I didn't offend or bring any body down; but I have a bad habit of saying what I think.