5 of disks (worry)

Sheri

When I look at this card and try to interprete worry - I see it in the context of the disks look like they are rigged up into some sort of contraption and that the worry is that associated with whether it will keep running or not. Sort of a tenuous, on edge sort of thing - like someone is living a lie and are worried they will be found out.

valeria

SilentBreeze

mooiedragon said:
I hate to be the pessimist here, but I don't see how the card of Worry can mean true love even though I definately see how true love can get you through Worry and lead you to Success. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about seeing the positive side of things... but I also believe in brutal honesty because without seeing that there is Worry true love cannot perservere.

It's like reading the Death card as a re-birthing. A lot of the cards signal change and transition, but I see Death is about letting something go in order to achieve a re-birthing and if you can't see what you have to let go of you won't go through that transition.

I hope I don't seem to be nitpicky here, but I'm just trying get a good grasp on this card, too! This card by itself I usually see as an indication of limits on the body, well-being, career, family, etc. I read it as strain over these limitations. Depending on how it appears in a spread, I might see a more positive energy from it - moving forward with ease or unexpected good news. I may even suggest that True Love can get somebody through this time, but I wouldn't suggest that the appearance of this card indicates the appearance of True Love in the seekers life.

But... I'm no expert and I really hope that I didn't offend or bring any body down; but I have a bad habit of saying what I think.

It does seem like a stretch but it seems to me that it's like if two people are stuck worrying and that doesnt set you apart then it would be true love, although it fits more in the RWS tradition.

Adjustment

mooiedragon said:
I hate to be the pessimist here, but I don't see how the card of Worry can mean true love even though I definately see how true love can get you through Worry and lead you to Success. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about seeing the positive side of things... but I also believe in brutal honesty because without seeing that there is Worry true love cannot perservere.

It's like reading the Death card as a re-birthing. A lot of the cards signal change and transition, but I see Death is about letting something go in order to achieve a re-birthing and if you can't see what you have to let go of you won't go through that transition.

I hope I don't seem to be nitpicky here, but I'm just trying get a good grasp on this card, too! This card by itself I usually see as an indication of limits on the body, well-being, career, family, etc. I read it as strain over these limitations. Depending on how it appears in a spread, I might see a more positive energy from it - moving forward with ease or unexpected good news. I may even suggest that True Love can get somebody through this time, but I wouldn't suggest that the appearance of this card indicates the appearance of True Love in the seekers life.

But... I'm no expert and I really hope that I didn't offend or bring any body down; but I have a bad habit of saying what I think.

I agree, the True love things is more with 5 of pentacles in the RWS and their clone, which shows a couple together, we have to remember that the Thoth is a different deck. When i see this card what i see is something that has a good reason for causing worry to the current.

SilentBreeze

Tara Deck said:
I agree, the True love things is more with 5 of pentacles in the RWS and thir clone, which shows a couple togehter, ww have to remember that the Thoth is a different deck. When i see this card what i see is something that has a good reason for causing worry to the current.

Maybe it's like a disruption to the current so it's causeing worry. And it may not necessarily be good or bad, but since it is something that is unknown it may cause worry.

Umbrae

Crowley reminds us that, “the Five of Disks represents Geburah in the suit of Earth…a disruption of the elements…Intelligence applied to Labour.
…in the form of the inverted Pentagram, instability in the very foundations of Matter. The effect is that of an earthquake. They are, however, representative of the five Tatvas; these hold together, on a very low plane, an organism which would otherwise disrupt completely. The background is an angry, ugly red with yellow markings. The general effect is one of intense strain; yet the symbol implies long-continued inaction.”

Don’t sound like true love to me…

And look at the artwork! it's heavy, ponderous, as DuQuette reminds us, "The surface of this card cannot contain the full images of five ponderous gear whells laid one upon another like the workings of a huge and grotesque clock. What appear as five disks in the center of the card are actually only the hubs of these massive wheels...[...]...it is clear that the Five of Disks is pointing to the more nasty meaning of the averse pentagram, that of triumph of matter over spirit."

True love has no place in the Five of Disks. (IMO)

SilentBreeze

Intersting. What would it mean if it came up frequently in readings? and how could you possibly heal it or make it better?

Umbrae

SilentBreeze said:
Intersting. What would it mean if it came up frequently in readings? and how could you possibly heal it or make it better?
One would have to work on dealing with spirit over matter.

Teheuti

Baccus93 said:
But in certain readings this also denotes "True Love"
This comes from applying one system, Etteilla's, to another - the Golden Dawn's Qabalistic one. In Pythagorean numerology, 5 is the number of love because it is the marriage of the first even and first odd numbers (2 + 3; 1 was not considered an odd number since it expressed unity).

The Golden Dawn system was more interested in the corresponding sephira on the Tree of Life - Geburah, and the decanate of Mercury in Taurus. They said that Mercury, being too erratic, was quite unable to deal with the dull heavy earth of Taurus. St. Germain (1901) described this decanate as "high intellectual faculties, with an inclination toward the exact sciences and political economy; the subject will meet with serious reverses, some of these of a violent character." Definitely something to worry about!

Personally with all those gears, I prefer the verb "worrying" suggesting that the gears are rubbing against each other in a way that inhibits its action. Or, you could think of a dog "worrying" a bone - working at it insistently (but not easily) until nothing is left. It's things that work against ease of operation, with a Mercurial jaggedness, slowing and becoming ponderous. The system is strained and could break down. It's interesting to think how this relates to psychological worry.

Worry comes from a root meaning "to twist, turn, wind, bend, or strangle," and it may be related to the Old English *wyrd* meaning fate or destiny. This suggests the inhibiting or bending of fate itself.

Mary

Teheuti

SilentBreeze said:
I think the point is that you can't necessarily make the material situation better. Rather, it asks how you meet adversity. When material actions or success are inhibited how can you transcend the situation by finding meaning in your circumstances (the Quintessence). Calling on the RWS image, it's like "voluntary simplicity" - choosing seeming hardship because of higher spiritual values - like the Amish.

Of course, other cards might suggest possibilites for change.

Mary

SilentBreeze

Teheuti said:
I think the point is that you can't necessarily make the material situation better. Rather, it asks how you meet adversity. When material actions or success are inhibited how can you transcend the situation by finding meaning in your circumstances (the Quintessence). Calling on the RWS image, it's like "voluntary simplicity" - choosing seeming hardship because of higher spiritual values - like the Amish.

Of course, other cards might suggest possibilites for change.

Mary

The wierd this is my material situation is pretty good so I think I am interpreting it as maybe me worrying over nothing. But what would you do to overcome this if it is all in your head.