Goal, Motivation, Conflict (Tarot Spread for Writers)

ArwenNightstar

I designed this spread for writers of fiction. I write romance novels. I have not had much time to play with this spread, but I would like feedback from other writers who want to try this out.

It is based on Deb Dixon (http://www.gryphonbooks.com)'s book _GMC_.

This spread can be used at any point in the book, but it assumes you already know your characters. If this is the beginning of a book, then perhaps it will help you shape those characters.

I have a few others that I will post as well.

Bec, you are welcome to post this to your page if you will credit me with a link to http://www.anisoptera.com/tarot please. :)

Without further ado, here is the spread.

GOAL, MOTIVATION, CONFLICT

******** 7 ********
5 *************** 6
******** 4 ********
2 *************** 3
******** 1 ********

1. Character (this card will show you something you may or may not already know about your character.)

2. Goal (this may be the inner or the outer goal)

3. Motivation (this may be the inner or the outer motivation.)

4.Conflict (This card is laid so that it is horizontally across cards 2 and 3) It is what is directly in front of the character that they must get past.

5.Goal/Conflict (This is how the original goal is modified or intensified by the first conflict.)

6.Motivation/Conflict (This is how the original motivation is modified or intensified by the first conflict.)

7. Plot Point (This is where our conflict brings us)

Red Emma

Spread for writers

ArwenNightstar

Now and again I've thought of using tarot in this way. My writing problem is a 10-year-old major, ten-foot-thick-brick-wall kind of block. It happened just after a publisher asked to see some stuff I was working on.

I know my characters, their conflicts, and all those kind of things. What happens is that after either chapter two or three, my brain shuts off and won't forge ahead with the plot. (I have several smashing two-chapter beginnings.)

I've thought of using tarot to plot. However I've had some health problems for a while which have slowed down my whole life. I see some blue sky ahead and I'm thinking of getting back to my latest epic. Do you know of any spreads to use for the step-by-step, what's going to happen next plot aids?

Goddess Bless

ArwenNightstar

Possibilities Spread

Hi Emma!

The next post will be my Possibilities spread. :) Maybe that will be what you want?

Hedera

Hi Arwen,

Very interesting spread! I will try it out soon.

Emma:
My writing problem is a 10-year-old major, ten-foot-thick-brick-wall kind of block. It happened just after a publisher asked to see some stuff I was working on.

Something very similar happened to me about 5 years ago. Two publishers liked my short stories, but because there really isn;t much of a market for those here, they wanted me to write a novel (which I had already started, anyway). I have some great beginnings, and even one that is about 1/4 finished and all plotted-out (which may be part of the problem; I usually make it up as I go along. But darn it, I *like* that plot!).
I finished a few short stories and some song lyrics in that time, but not many.

Someone on this site did a reading for me on this subject, and he said I had to examine what 'success' means for me - turns out it is mainly something that frightens me.....:(

Even health problems, I have those, too - lots of time on my hands, but I;m completely unable to make good use of it, usually.

I hope you will manage to take your brick wall down, or climb over it, walk around it, or whatever.

Maybe just write a novel about a brick wall....;)

firemaiden

Ummm.... do I need to mention the Artist's Way again?
Please everybody, read the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, whether you write or not!!

Arwen, this spread is awesome! I just laid out some cards using this spread for a lark, and I don't need to tell you that they perfectly reflect my actual life.

It is great for writing, but it is also a great spread, just for plain old life.

ArwenNightstar

firemaiden said:

Arwen, this spread is awesome! I just laid out some cards using this spread for a lark, and I don't need to tell you that they perfectly reflect my actual life.

Julia Cameron is a fabulous author. She does workshops at RWA every year, I believe. I missed hers last year but will try again this year.

How marvelous that you tried that spread out for yourself. Thank you so much!

Red Emma

Spread for writers

I took a workshop from Julia Cameron in Taos about four years ago. It was a magical week, but my block didn't budge.

I did get some insights into it, though. She'd have us list things, like the 10 of the places we'd most like to live. (I don't remember if this was one of hers, I made it up for this post.) I'd get two or three, and my brain would close off. I suspect I had some heavy blocking at the gates of my subconscious. So I've been working in that direction.

Light candles to the Goddess for me!

ArwenNightstar

Re: Spread for writers

Red Emma said:
I'd get two or three, and my brain would close off. I suspect I had some heavy blocking at the gates of my subconscious. So I've been working in that direction.

Light candles to the Goddess for me!

Have you done any work with citrine and lemongrass oil?

Red Emma

Writers' spread

Hedera, as I read your post I felt frustrated to the bone for you. Been there, done that as they say.

And as for "lots of time" and no accomplishments I know the place well. I decided to use it for research, so I've read tons of books on subjects I'd like to write about.

Since depression is the root of my health problems, at the moment I'm undergoing a series of psychological treatments which have a good chance of getting to the bottom of things.

Goddess bless.

Red Emma

Spread for writers

Night Star, I've been dabbling in aroma therapy for a while. The results are fascinating. I'm continually amazed at the knowlege and skills which were "junked" when healers were burned as witches.

I'm not familiar with citrine and lemon grass oil. What is their effect?