Bonefire Tarot- From Schiffer Publishing.

decan

It depends on the size of his/her hands; it is a big deck but not too big.
My hands have an average size and it is okay. Of course once trimmed it is better (I guess that trimmed the deck has probably the size of the first edition).
The book font is indeed a bit too small for me as well, but it is a quality book otherwise.
On a review on youtube I heard as well that the cards are a bit too thick and difficult to shuffle. Personally I don't think; the cards aren't indeed too thin, but it is fine like this.

Le Fanu

Mine arrived today. I really like it. As a deck, as a kit and after a quick glance at the book I see it has a very unique voice. All in all a very distinctive tarot production. Probably one of Schiffer's most <cough> informed choices for publication.

And the cards are fabulous - I love the colours and squatness (format) of the cards and the perspectives and expressiveness. It feels very vivid - exactly what one wants for a reading deck, brimming with communicativeness. These cards really sing!

prudence

Le Fanu, how do you feel about the male/female ratio, now that you've got the deck?

Le Fanu

Le Fanu, how do you feel about the male/female ratio, now that you've got the deck?
Fine. Not really an issue, but there are a lot of cards which feature male characters, which I just hadn't seen and which when I opened the deck were new to me. The most posted ones on social media are definitely the female ones, which is probably what led me to that conclusion.

rylla

Fine. Not really an issue, but there are a lot of cards which feature male characters, which I just hadn't seen and which when I opened the deck were new to me. The most posted ones on social media are definitely the female ones, which is probably what led me to that conclusion.

The style of the deck is feminine (the only thing I mean by that is: if I'd look at one of her work I'd think that it was done by a woman and not by a man; more rounded lines, etc), maybe that influenced as well your first impression.

rylla

So not a HUGE reason to get this as well then.... Thanks.

Except if you LOVE Schiffer's card stock :)

While I can live with it (Schiffer card stock) (I like thick card stock) I find more difficult to shuffle, cards seems to stuck together. I don't regret buying this kit, it somewhat has a different feel than the original one but if I had to choose I'd prefer the original way over this one.

rwcarter

NOT in love with the cardstock on this deck. It reminds me of the Son Tarot, which I shuffled more than 1500 times to break in and by the time I got it broken in, I'd lost interest in the deck. I've glanced through the book to look at what Gabi had to say about a card I might be stuck on in a reading, but haven't read the book. Bought the set predominantly for the book, so I guess I can't be too upset about the cardstock.

Rodney

Wheel of Fantastic

I was barely aware of this deck until 3 days ago when I saw a copy in the Atlantis bookshop here in London.

What can I say - Oh Wow!

Love the cardstock; while I'm all for matt cardstock some decks just suit lamination. The lamination here makes the colours particularly vibrant ( like the 1st edition Deviant Moon). The tattoo style artwork is what I call 'Eye Blasting' and chock full of symbolism - thank goodness it's based on the RWS.

I even like the 'squarer' than normal tarot cards - I don't riffle shuffle so this is no big deal to me.

Excellent, very readable eye catching deck. It deserves to remain in print for many years. It joins the Albano Waite and Italy printed Deviant Moon as my 'super coloured' wow decks.

gregory

Gregory, the book is great but if memory serves, your eyesight is about like mine - and the book's font is incredibly small. You'll need a magnifying glass to read it. I feel sure that the publisher made that choice because otherwise the book (which is chockful of information) would have been a challenge to package - but caveat emptor, nonetheless! :)
I have the book now - a gift from a friend who couldn't handle the print size. I am surprised. I am 72, and have no problem reading it....

Barleywine

I didn't realize it was based on the tattoo art of Sailor Jerry. I'm going to have to get this from my daughter. I'm afraid though, that, she has so many tattoos that she could lay a card on any part of her body and never find it again! She reminds me of Ray Bradbury's Illustrated Man ("a vagrant former member of a carnival freak show with an extensively tattooed body whom the unnamed narrator meets"). :joke: