Fortune Teller Experience

DownUnderNZer

I was about 16 or so when I had my first reading done by a very old female travelling Psychic Tarot reader. My older sister abducted me from school to do it! :D

She was a brilliant reader!!! And she did not even need cards if the truth be known...

I remember being nervous and scared more so because of the woman waiting in the lobby with me to see her who had seen her 5 years previously in which everything she was told "happened" and some of it not good. Not good at all!

With me she brought up my father's name and my mother's I think and told me things like the following:

1) You and one other girl will go towards Canada only one of you will stop before the border and the other will crossover.

A year or so after that I and one other girl went abroad as exchange students. She went to Montreal and I went to NY state and was close to Niagara Falls/Buffalo.

2) These names I want you to hold on to as they will become important to you in the future and she gave me 5 or 6 names.

Two of those names turned out to be my USA Host parents names and I got the paperwork on them about 8 months after that reading. Keep in mind I was NOT APPROVED to be an exchange student at the time of the reading nor did I know that the USA would be my allocated country of destination.

Three of the other names belonged to who was to become one USA friend (we are still good friends to this day) and the other two were other Exchange Students names.

3) Twins that would have alcohol problems. Like 20 years after that that became more apparent and did lead to the exact health problem she pin pointed back then.

That is all I really remember as it was a long time ago and that is what stood out the most.

If I could see her again - I would. I think her name was Elizabeth or Catherine. She would be long dead by now as when I saw her she would have been in her 60s or 70s. She gave the "good" and "bad" of what she saw, but for me it wasn't really bad at all which was a relief.

There are some excellent readers out there, so keep that in mind.

DND :)

Would anyone comment on their first experience getting a Tarot reading done by a professional. Usually I hear you feel positive after a tarot reading, but my first time, after the reading, I was in tears. It has been five years since my first reading and my second time was two years ago. Both different readers and both times, I felt awful, paranoid, foggy, mistrustful and naked. It did affect my relationship with my partner because they similarly told me the same story about our situation that could tear us apart. They also mentioned other things which I was not ready for. I will admit, it did mess with my mind. To my relief, none of the predictions came true, but I became even more curious and skeptical of the whole ordeal.

Just wanted to hear what other people have experienced.

nightowlwoman

That's awful, how can you tell someone, psychic, or not, that a persons dreams will never come true.
Before, I did kick myself for looking for trouble that I could of avoided, but it's a lesson learned. In my case, they weren't overtly negative, but the one psychic did speak about my parents and their marriage; which I never asked about. She just randomly said your mom doesn't love your dad as much and I don't see them active in bed lol I was like what the f**ck! Where did this come from?! That's so private and not my business! I wanted to smack this woman!!!

I know that fear is a good way to milk any chance they get from people. It's a easy way to make business.
I seen my former boss do it to his clients.

It's very dis-empowering! What ritual did you use to remove the negativity?

Wow, I think it's common sense that no one wants to know about their parents' sex life! I still believe my mom reproduced asexually šŸ˜‚ Maybe she was trying to seem more credible to you? I'm glad that your experiences weren't overtly negative but I believe if you walked away with a bad feeling, it was a bad reading.

I couldn't get all the horrible things she said out of my head (since she basically said that all of the things I was creating for myself were fruitless endeavors). She had given me the copy of the paper she used to dowse my energy. I tore it up into pieces and burned it, infused with the intention of sending her curse energy back to her.

Honestly, I wouldn't have even gone to her except that my mother had paid for the reading in advance and it was $100. As soon as I walked in and saw her and her husband I immediately felt unrasy and I didn't trust her. She had good things to say to my sister. She told my mother to leave my father.

Metafizzypop

I've only had one professional tarot reading in my whole life, and it was a totally infuriating experience.

Several years ago, a friend of a friend of mine had a tarot party. The woman hired a professional tarot card reader to give all of us gurls readings. We had to pay for it, though. $40 USD. I was young and green, and knew almost nothing about tarot. But I was curious, so I paid the $40. After all, I thought, this was a tarot card reader. She should have access to all kinds of secret, mysterious knowledge.

At the time, I was involved in a casual relationship. So I asked the reader if it would turn into something more serious. She used the Rider-Waite, and a Celtic Cross spread. She looked at the cards and then asked me, "What's he doing with his hands?"

I had no idea why she would ask this question. I found it odd that she saw anything to do with hands in the cards. I explained that he worked with camera equipment. "Oh OK," the reader said, and then looked at the cards a little more. So I asked her again what were the chances of a serious relationship, and her answer was, "Give him time." That was all she said. So I asked her to elaborate, and she just repeated, "Give him time." And that was it. She said it with an air of finality, as though That Was The Reading.

Then she said to me, "Do you have any other questions?" Huh? She hadn't even answered the first question! I just said No.

At the time, I didn't know how to handle it. Not knowing anything about tarot, I assumed that that was what a tarot card reading actually WAS. Just a few cryptic words, and no more. The Great Oracle Has Spoken. Now Be Off.

Now, years later, I realize that this woman was a total know-nothing and a charlatan. A good tarot card reading, especially one that involves as many cards as the CC spread, should consist of more than three words. And repeating the same three words a second time doesn't count.

Anyway, my relationship fizzled out instead of getting serious. Meantime, I've learned a lot about tarot. I've learned enough to be able to recognize someone who doesn't know crap.

$40 paid to a person who told me absolutely nothing. How do people get away with this? I guess they get away with it because some people don't know any better, people like me, a long time ago.

Diessa

I have had *many* readings. The time-frame for me was during a period of personal crisis. Without the personal crisis, I never would have gone so deeply into the waters, and never would have paid much attention to developing my own reading ability.

A good reader will immediately and quickly uncover very specific themes in your life. If they don't, and they don't resonate with the most important thing you're currently dealing with, and what you need to know and focus on today, then move on. Find someone else you connect with. Or, alternatively, if it's just an idle curiosity for you, save the money, you don't need a reading.

You cannot predict the future without connecting with the present, because the future is an outgrowth of what is happening in the present. That said, there are two kinds of future predictions. The first is a function of your choices, and within your personal power. These are the most common types of predictions, and are like looking down two different roads in a fork. The first kind of prediction almost always has a short shelf-life in terms of time. 3 months to 18 months is typical.

The second kind of prediction can be made years in advance, because it's something that is part of what I think of as a pre-ordained life plan. Even these predictions- however- are not set in stone. For example, if you are going to connect with a person who is important to your life plan, that can be predicted a long time in advance. One person may say you will get married, but that's more set in stone than what I've seen to be true. In practice, it means this person is going to have an impact in your life, but it may not lead to a specific prediction like "marriage". Choice still impacts the pre-ordained life events.

Just as an example, it was predicted I would be an aunt in a certain year. There was a pregnancy, but the pregnancy was aborted.

celticnoodle

When did you become and empath? Or is that something you're born with? I'm intrigued to know if you're a medium and can speak with the dearly departed. Why do you need to see another psychic?

I was probably always an empath--but I don't think I really knew why I could always feel others energies-specifically their aches and pains till I came here tbh. Not sure if my mother understood it or not and if she did, she certainly didn't help me to understand it as a kid. I can remember many times as a child feeling the pains of others and my mom just telling me I was faking it for attention, (which I was not). But, I have also learned not too long ago, that my mother also isn't very accepting of her children's abilities and success in other areas either. (long story there).

My mom never tried to help us kids develop or understand our abilities in anyway. But, she would take us to card readers, beginning at age 12 or 13 and we also went to psychics. As an adult I tried to get advice from my mom as well, but she helped very little still. I believe my maternal gm was an empath as well as she always could tell what was wrong w/us and others. I'm not sure if people are born this way or if you just develop it as you go along.

Yes, I am a psychic-medium and have had that ability all my life as well. It seems to run in my family-the maternal side. My mother, her sisters and some of her cousins, my maternal gm and her sisters too, and some of the men in this line as well, were all psychic-mediums. I also remember tales of my maternal great grandmom having the abilities too and it also ran in my maternal gf's line too. When I began doing that side of the genealogy, I found a census record back in Ireland listing one our ancestors on my maternal gf side listed as "the one with the sight" for their occupation. :D

Our daughter is also highly psychic and has medium skills too, and my oldest granddaughter seems to have the ability as well. Sadly though, she is not encouraged to develop it and instead they squash it. My son in law is not ready for all this and terrified of it, as it also runs in his family. He is also a psychic-medium, just terrified of it. He doesn't like the idea of spirits in his home.

I cannot read for myself really. Plus, I enjoy being on the other side of the table and have someone read FOR ME. When I visit VT, my girl friends and I generally go together to that lady--and its also a great gf activity--filled with fun. I have done readings for my gf too--but we all enjoy doing this together as the recipient. Plus, sometimes I can't see things for myself well.

I often have my dad and one aunt and my maternal gm visit me. Dad loves to tell me what is going on with my mother--who is still alive and lives far away from me. My mother calls him "the tattle-tale spirit", as he often comes and tells me when she is sick and hiding it from us or if she has fallen and she doesn't tell us that either. :laugh:

SunChariot

Would anyone comment on their first experience getting a Tarot reading done by a professional. Usually I hear you feel positive after a tarot reading, but my first time, after the reading, I was in tears. It has been five years since my first reading and my second time was two years ago. Both different readers and both times, I felt awful, paranoid, foggy, mistrustful and naked. It did affect my relationship with my partner because they similarly told me the same story about our situation that could tear us apart. They also mentioned other things which I was not ready for. I will admit, it did mess with my mind. To my relief, none of the predictions came true, but I became even more curious and skeptical of the whole ordeal.

Just wanted to hear what other people have experienced.

I don't know if this will help or answer any of the questions you asked as you meant them...But here goes just in case.

I have never had an in person reading. Or done one. Ok not true. I ONCE did one that was a total disaster and decided me for sure that I was not meant to be an in person reader (that that is beside the point).

All the readers I have ever had read for me were friends or AT members (which amounts of the same thing as I feel very much part of a family here at AT). And I have never had an in person reading.

That said. I also have never really had a negative reading. Nothing that scared me or made me feel upset. But my personal opinion is that when a reading does that it's a failed reading. I strongly believe that people come to us as readers for help. They come when they have issues and we are there to help them feel enlightened, stronger, calmer,...to have more hope in the future, to have a sense of direction, of what needs doing to get to the best place and how to do it.

A reading should not tell you things you are not ready to hear. If you are not, those things should not come up in the cards. And it should always leave you feeling better, not worse. Personally, for myself, if a reading made me feel worse I would doubt the skills of the reader. I think I would not have a lot of faith in her skills and that means I would not trust for sure what she had seen. I would likely put the reading aside totally and have a new one done by someone else.

I never had a negative reading, BUT I did have one once that I was SO sure was completely wrong. I thought the reader had it ALL wrong, it really bothered me that she could see me and my life that way. I kept feeling though drawn to it, the desire to keep rereading it. Withing the space of a week I realized is was completely true and I had been in denial. That only happened once, but I thoguht she was a very gifted reader, to know me better than I knew myself.

Imo any story has 2 sides, you need to show both sides. IF something comes up in a reading that the querent may not wish for then you don't just tell it and leave them hanging there, You look for the reason it had to happen, what good will come of it, what they can learn from it that will benefit them and how, even what is causing it and if there is anything they can do where they are not to avoid it. Imo, we need to always leave the querent with something positive. They need to feel empowered, enheartened and ready to face what comes and to have an idea how to best face it to get the best results.

Those are my ideas on that. And that a reading that made you feel as yours did was a failed reading. No one comes to a reader to feel worse, therefore it did not meet its goal.

Babs

SunChariot

$40 paid to a person who told me absolutely nothing. How do people get away with this? I guess they get away with it because some people don't know any better, people like me, a long time ago.

Yeah, wow! Imagine the nerve to change $40.00 for that! Unfortunately there are charlatans out there which disillusions people and makes them less trusting of the people who actually are legit and could help them.

Babs

VGimlet

The only time I've ever had a professional reader it wasn't the best reading ever, but that was because she was what I would call "reader for the tourists". It was in New Orleans, in front of the St. Louis Cathedral.

I don't know if I'd go to a professional again unless I had a recommendation from someone about them. I take most professional readers with a grain of salt, although I wouldn't if it was someone from AT. LOL.

The only other time I did any kind of reading was when I was young and she was a palm reader, and she totally tried to scam me, and made me mad. I may have actually reported her, because she tried to get me with the "You have enemies and you need to pay me money and I'll light a candle for you and blah blah blah....really, just because I was 20 didn't mean I was STUPID!"

Pineapple88

Thank you everyone who has replied to my thread so far. I have read everyones personal experience with pro tarot readers and im eager to repond back to everyone. I had a busy day and will try to get back to evryone tomorrow.

danieljuk

I'm sorry you had this bad experience Pineapple :( I think ethically it's bad for a reader to leave someone feeling worse than when they went in! The whole idea is to give people solutions and different choices and perspectives to deal with whatever is coming their way. Not to leave people feeling scared and upset with what they say.

First of all if you are getting a reading, you have to be careful what you are asking about. Do you really want to know about this area? If you do ask about it, you could hear horrible news that you have to live with, it's not always good news that will make you feel happy. If you ask about a relationship, you could hear the bad news. Secondly, as you found out, they might have got it wrong and / or things might have changed since you got the reading. The future changes as we change it. Thirdly so many relationships must have ended because a fortune teller or a reading has given a seed of doubt to the sitter. So we have to carefully analysis it but I find myself not asking questions about areas of my life which I feel could affect me in future or might make me feel miserable. I don't want to know about everything but if I was in a relationship and it was going wrong, I would ask about that. However I wouldn't ask about "what is the future of this relationship?" in a general way, I am not sure I want to know.

I have had mixed success with paid readings, in person and online. A lot of them were wrong or badly done. If you can find one person who gives you readings that you find helpful, that is normally the best. Random people could be anything, we don't know if they fit with us or are helpful. I have found the best readings for me come from AT. I take part in exchanges and everyone here is studying or interested in tarot and not paid, so we have an equal motive. There is always exchanges and circles here to take part in, but you have to give a reading back. I have had far more brilliant readings here than professional readings but it is a case of finding a good pro reader and sticking with them :)