Golden universal tarot

Luna's Crone

does anyone have this deck and the gold tone leafing is either messed up or missing parts in the suit of pentacles? like pentacals only being partially done or out of the lines of what it is supposed to cover.

When i opened this deck, i fell in love with it. that is until i hit the suit of pentacles. I am going to see about returning it and getting a new deck unless this is common problem.

rwcarter

Known/common problem, unfortunately. Let me see if I can find the original thread where that was discussed.

ETA - Golden Universal Tarot

EmpyreanKnight

I think I read somewhere that Lo Scarabeo purposely designed them as such. I personally do not think it detracts from their overall appeal though.

Luna's Crone

I think I read somewhere that Lo Scarabeo purposely designed them as such. I personally do not think it detracts from their overall appeal though.

my pentacles are a mess. totally turned me off from the deck. why would someone design them like that.

Luna's Crone

I like it, it makes them look weathered

not me, because alot of the gold leafing are not within the lines of objects, and it looks shoddy to me.

i did complain to LS for their lack of inspecting products that they. i am waiting to hear back from them, and book depository who i bought it from.

EmpyreanKnight

When I first read your concern, I thought that it's only about the uneven application of gold in the pentacles, which I sought to warn you were just a regular feature of all the GU decks and not a singular defect of your copy per se. It would be useless to ask for a replacement of the same deck since all the decks have them. I dunno if your seller allows returns or exchanges though.

But I checked my copy and in almost all of the cards, the foil was neatly stamped within the line boundaries. Even the fire blast in the Tower card was so clearly delineated by the gold dot patterns outside it, which is quite a feat. There are a few cards where some of the gold exceeded their line, but the offset is so infinitesimal as to practically be negligible. So if your deck has most of the cards way off their line boundaries as you said, you may have a legit complaint about your copy.

Luna's Crone

book depository allows returns. and its only my pentacles, plus chunks of gold leafing isn't even there. that part run of pentacle printings either had the cards misplaced or the stamping. but it is awful. if i remember i will put up a few pictures. the rest of the deck is fine.

Barleywine

I doubt this is a fluke affecting only your deck. Many Amazon reviewers have complained about the Pentacles. Here's a review from 2013:

"Three of the five suits in this deck are lovely. The gold foil adds to the cards' beauty without causing them to become gaudy or overstated. The problem lies in the suit of pentacles. There are many places where the foil looks either scratched off or left off entirely in awkward places. It has been said that this was something done on purpose to add to the vintage appearance, but it looks more like the foiling process on this suit was defective. "