Ludy Lescot-The Empress III

Hemera

This Empress actually looks more like a High Priestess to me. She sits on her throne inside a Gothic castle and she is more regal than motherly. The throne with its stone lions is very impressive. The dove and the red rose pendant she is wearing symbolise the Goddess of love and beauty, Aphrodite.
Her sceptre is the Egyptian Ankh, sign of Life and it has a huge red ruby in the center.
I like the enigmatic expression on her face most of all. She looks like she is listening to something. Maybe she is hearing beautiful music from the distance and she is listening very intensely. The dove seems to be looking to the same dierection.

The LWB text doesn´t make much sense to me: "In solitude choose friendship"? Que? I think both are equally important. "In strenght choose peace"? They are not opposites, are they. And I think it would be dangerous to always choose trust when in doubt of something.

Picture from Alida webpage.

Attachments

• Empress.jpg
    Empress.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 775

Elendil

...The LWB text doesn´t make much sense to me...

Since when have LWBs from LS made much sense anyway?

I am intrigued by what appears to be a shattered window in the top right of the image and wonder why the Empress looks in the opposite direction.

Of course there may be some other explanation for what seem to be shards of broken glass exploding into the picture from the direction from which the dove flies. It is also possible that my eyes are seeing fanfiful things which are not really there...

I don't really get the 'traditional' nurturing (Earth) mother vibes from this particular version of the Empress - although the back of her chair appears to be carved with the fruits of a harvest.

Is it significant, perhaps, that her throat is bound? (The throat chakra is associated with the colour blue and creativity, personal expression and self knowledge amongst other things - and I am pretty certain that the link to the yellow 'abdomen chakra' was intended in Card 1: The Magician).

Thoughts anyone?

Hemera

Since when have LWBs from LS made much sense anyway?
LOL yes, that´s true.

I am intrigued by what appears to be a shattered window in the top right of the image and wonder why the Empress looks in the opposite direction.
I thought at first that it´s just because the dove broke in through another dimension. But it does look like glass. What if the dove flew in through that beautiful painted window and broke it?

Is it significant, perhaps, that her throat is bound? (The throat chakra is associated with the colour blue and creativity, personal expression and self knowledge amongst other things - and I am pretty certain that the link to the yellow 'abdomen chakra' was intended in Card 1: The Magician).
THis is really an interesting idea. So, why would it be "bound" then? Does she not have that Blue Energy at her disposal yet? I have to check out the other Major Arcanas for more chakra clues.

No, you are right, she is not very "maternal". She looks more like a High Priestess usually does.

Elendil

She also has braids in her hair which have always represented control and organisation for me - although not all of her hair is braided...

MaineGirl117

Symbolism notes and some observations

As far as the LWB's interpretations, I get the most out of these when applying them to the specific question or spread (kind of like a mantra, and whatever sticks in my craw tends to be the focus for interpretation). Trying to understand what they're meaning just based on the card is maddening at best. :)

Here are a couple citations concerning the dove/pigeon and some other observations I've made about this card. Sorry for the long winded quotations, but I felt it best to give the information I found in its entirety and let people pick through what makes sense to them, instead of limiting the meanings to just a few words. Some food for thought at least.

Pigeon:
Keynote: Return to the Love and Security of Home

“The term dove and pigeon are now interchangeable, so a study of both would be warranted to understand the symbolism. Because of it’s extraordinary homing sense it is able to find it’s way ‘home’ no matter the distance needed to travel… can then be associated with the need to return home and security, they can help us find our way back when we feel lost. They are reminders to us to remember that which has positively affected us from early home life. Have we forgotten who we are? Are we falling into old patterns we vowed to remember and change? Have we forgotten our basic foundations, the heritage we have passed on to use through home and family? These include morals, the behaviors and attitudes, etc. Draw upon them and use them…. Sacred symbols of fertility gods and goddesses. They reflect the fertility of home and family that can occur when they are around. Pigeons will huddle together during a storm. If there are storms in your life, huddle with your family - biological or otherwise. There will be safety and security in that activity.”

Doves
Keynote: Feminine Energies of Peace, Maternity, and Prophecy

“Tremendous wealth of lore and legend surrounding this symbol, most of it centering around all of the traditional feminine and mother symbols. In the Greek tradition, Aphrodite was born from an egg brooded by a dove. The Oracles of Dodona which Alexander sought were founded by a dove. To the Slavs, the soul would become a dove at death. To the alchemist, it was a symbol of sublimation. To the Christians, it is a symbol of peace, while to early pagans it was a symbol for the yoni or female sexual organs. I has been associated with many goddesses, it was considered the embodiment of the maternal instinct. “The name dove has been given to oracles and to prophets.. The prophet sent to Ninevah as God’s messenger was called Jonah or the Dove…”

It is believed that the mournful song of the dove stirs emotions, the internal waters. The song of the dove is considered the rain song. Out of its mourning, it invokes new waters of life. Its song should remind us that no matter what our life conditions, new waters and new life are possible. Although it’s song is heard throughout the day, it seems more distinct at dawn and dusk. These are the “Between Times” - a time in which there is a thinning of the veils between the physical and the spiritual, the past and the future. The dove can help you to use these times to see the creation process active within your own life. The song of this totem tells you to mourn what has passed, but awaken to the promise of the future. It is a bird of prophecy and can help you to see what you can give birth to in your life.”
Animal Speak by Ted Andrews

It is interesting to note that the dove does appear to break through the stain glass window. On closer inspection of the window I see remains of wings, as though an angel of some sort was depicted within the glass prior to being shattered. Nothing, not even a window, could keep this dove from coming ‘home’ and the Empress is not at all disturbed by the ruckus behind her for she looks in the other direction - to the future perhaps?

The observation made that the Empress looks like she’s listening to something might go along with the mention of the Throat Chakra and the color blue, as would part of the symbolism of the dove and it's song. There is a balance established between talking and listening, mainly if you do as much talking as you do listening that you feel calmer, more centered, and have a better understanding of your environment.

One last thing in the image I *think* I see, is in the body of the closest armrest in the picture. Right behind the cat’s head the stone changes color and I noticed a landscape image within the rock - as though a mountain is in the distance with a river flowing across it. Does anybody else see this? In the traditional pictures of the Empress card there is a river in the picture, symbolizing the constant force and flow of life, always changing, never the same - and the mountain - stability??

I’m not sure if her hair is braided or if it’s just coiffed into one of those ‘hair nets’ used in the middle ages. So her hair then is bound, restrained sexuality or sensuality? Could this be why she looks so dissatisfied?

MaineGirl117

Why is the Empress holding the Ankh ? This usually belongs to the Emperor and is his symbol of power over life and death and over the laws of society?

Why is her environment so austere and cold, while the Emperor is surrounded by foliage and life??

Prasomchai

The LWB text doesn´t make much sense to me: "In solitude choose friendship"? Que? I think both are equally important. "In strength choose peace"? They are not opposites, are they. And I think it would be dangerous to always choose trust when in doubt of something.

I did a self reading the other day and the most appropriate interpretation of this card was as per the LWB. Please find below the paragraph I wrote for myself based on this card:

You have both endured solitude in your own ways. From this understanding comes your unique friendship. With both at the pinnacle of your strength, you may finally cease struggling while in one another’s company. Having both been deceived and badly let own by others, you find enduring trust in this and may safely relax your guard.

MaineGirl117

I did a self reading the other day and the most appropriate interpretation of this card was as per the LWB. Please find below the paragraph I wrote for myself based on this card:

You have both endured solitude in your own ways. From this understanding comes your unique friendship. With both at the pinnacle of your strength, you may finally cease struggling while in one another’s company. Having both been deceived and badly let own by others, you find enduring trust in this and may safely relax your guard.

This is fantastic and oh so appropriate. This card has been showing up a lot for me in regards to a guy I've been talking to. This interpretation makes perfect sense.

I also noticed that HE comes up as this card, and myself as the Emperor. I wondered about this for a time. Why the reversal? Yesterday I found out that one of his hobbies is breeding dogs! It's slowly starting to make sense! :)

Grizabella

I also noticed that HE comes up as this card, and myself as the Emperor. I wondered about this for a time. Why the reversal? Yesterday I found out that one of his hobbies is breeding dogs! It's slowly starting to make sense! :)

That went right over my head, even though I used to raise dogs myself. How does it make sense? Satisfy my curiosity. ;)

I was surprised when seeing this Empress because she doesn't look like an Empress to me very much. She looks like she's scared to death about something she just heard off in the distance to her right.

MaineGirl117

That went right over my head, even though I used to raise dogs myself. How does it make sense? Satisfy my curiosity. ;)

I was surprised when seeing this Empress because she doesn't look like an Empress to me very much. She looks like she's scared to death about something she just heard off in the distance to her right.

I see it relating to the very earthy part of the Empress.. as the breeder. He also raised his daughter, is looking forward to helping raise his grandson. If there ever was a man I would see as a good "stay at home dad" this would be the guy - though out of necessity he works. Coincidentally, his last name also contains the word Love.