Divination with playing cards

Nevada

Thank you, thank you for this thread...

I've been so hoping this topic would come up again. Thank you, skytwig for the links to the web sites. :)
skytwig [/i][B]I played with playing cards almost obsessively as a child.... I LOVED them..... I would make up games and said:
The family favored a Spanish deck without the eights and nines.
Tauni, I'm curious--what was the significance of leaving out the eights and nines?

Nevada

zorya

skytwig said:
zorya.... do you use the cards more than Tarot?

What do you think of cards like the Marseilles?
there was a time i did use them more than tarot, but now i find i use them more as kind of a 'mind cleansing' after using a particular tarot deck for a while, lol.

btw, the playing card deck i use is the 1865 reproduction that umbrae is talking about. it not only looks cool but feels great in the hands too...and it was a gift from a friend. :)

i prefer to use non-illustrated pips tarot decks, but as i am a sucker for any beautiful deck, i often use illustrated as well. i have several illustrated pip decks that i love.

as far as the marseilles decks themselves... i prefer historic italian decks, like the visconti, or ancient italian. (please don't throw anything at me diana :laugh: ).

skytwig

zorya said:
there was a time i did use them more than tarot, but now i find i use them more as kind of a 'mind cleansing' after using a particular tarot deck for a while, lol

That is very interesting, Zorya. In another thread about cleansing 2nd hand decks, several members said they sort through the deck, putting the cards in order, to cleanse them..... that they utilize this techniques whenever the cards feel 'gunky' energywise....... now you offer an interesting technique for mind cleansing.... For me, that makes alot of sense..... something about the simplicity of it providing a spiritual 'sweep'!!

hmmmmmmm :)

Logiatrix

Re: Thank you, thank you for this thread...

Nevada34 said:
...Tauni, I'm curious--what was the significance of leaving out the eights and nines?
Nevada
The Spanish decks are forty-card decks with the four suits, ace thru twelve.
There are no eights, nines, or queens.
The face cards are what appear to be classic representations of the page, knight, and king.
They actually look more like the court cards of tarot in many Spanish decks I've seen, as they are often more delicately drawn and not double-ended
These "courts," however, are not indexed with a letter like the cards we usually see.
Instead, they are numbered (ten, eleven, and twelve) the same as the rest of the cards.
I can only guess what the king, jack, and page is specifically called--the jack and page especially varies in title from country to country, I've noticed.
Anyway, there are several card games unique to Mexico and Spain that utilize this kind of card set-up.
:)

tatsi

The playing card deck I use for readings

Umbrae said:
I can read with any regular deck.

But US Games System sells these 1865 reproductions that are wonderful to read with…

Though any regular poker deck can be used, I use the German Skat deck because I mainly read with a reduced (aka "piquet") deck of 32-cards: 7-A. It's a poker deck without 2's thru 6's. It's bridge sized and comes in a sturdy plastic case. The Skat deck does use the international standard of French suits (Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, and Spades), but Q's (Queens) are D's (Dames prononunced "dah-mahs) and J's (Jacks) are B's (Bube's prononunced "boo-bahs").

In readings it's nice to use an older-looking deck, but while USG's 1864 Poker Deck is nice, I prefer USG's Civil War Illuminated Playing Card Deck.

http://www.usgamesinc.com/Cards_Games/viewProduct.cfm?Product_ID=23966

tatsi

contradiction

i have mentioned this in another post, but here it is again. there was one time when a friend desperitely needed a reading, and having had a reading a few days earlier from someone who knew nothing about tarot, and had really messed up the reading, based on the cards, and the interpertation, and not having my rws handy, i grabbed a set of playing cards, having seen it done, but knowing nothing about what i was doing, i pulled just the court cards, seemed right at the time, it was one of the best readings i've ever done. i have done it a few times since then, sometimes i can sometimes i can't. it depends on how much i need the ability at the moment, whether i can or not. one of those quirks of the universe i guess.

contradiction

Cerulean

A funny book with a small deck of 52 cards

I found this and wanted the book that came with the mini-deck of 52 playing cards:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/031...181-9738402?_encoding=UTF8&p=S001#reader-page

The Running Press has at least ten years of publishing novelty playing card and book types of set. In a used bookstore, I ran across the Transformation Deck, a 1990ish version of Transformation Playing Cards--the decorative cards use creative typography, design and pictorial motifs that you could match with nursery rhymes.

I don't know if all historical versions of Transformation cards have 52 cards, but I am starting to explore the topic as an interesting design variant...actually I do have some historical tarocchi reproduction cards with doubleheaded figures, 22 trumps and the 16 trumps of the tarot and French courts...

Tarocchi Maria Stuarda (Mary Stuart) by Dotti (reproduction), from Il Menghello. New from Alidastore.com, but only has Italian trump explanations--not really in English

I fancied doing playing card style readings with the Mary Stuart, using the minors and using the Knights to equate with Jacks, Queens with Queens, Kings with Kings...but using the Pages in an blend reading as a 'childish' or undeveloped aspect of the suit or potential...and the trumps would be standard trump meanings from my small understanding of Italian meanings...

That was an idea...have to dig out the Gypsy Fortune-Telling book again...

Regards,

Cerulean

P.S. I got my Running Press titles used, so it didn't cost the full price.