Kipper "Fin de Siécle"

frelkins

My Kipper deck should arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I've already read the book, which I thought was excellent.

So kind of you to say! :D I did so much research for you all. . .books of poetry, art history, even period fashion & interior design. :D I really hoped that we could all communicate the unique charms of the Kipper system to contemporary English speakers in a way they could understand and that would spark their interest in the "Kippergeist."

For example, if you compare the "traditional" German Schmid Kipper 28 - Expectation - to Ciro's 28, you'll find he's kept the motif quite similar despite the period update. I was very happy to be able to trace the German motif to a then-popular sentimental painting from 1832 by Moritz von Schwind, an Austrian painter who lived for a long time in Bavaria.

Because this Beidermeier time period is largely unfamiliar to the English-speaking world, I think Ciro's concept to move the cards to the Victorian era was brilliant. It really works well. And I think he nailed the essentials of the deck from the start. Plus, I find the extra cards very helpful.

Best wishes to you! :D Thanks again.

Cocobird55

My deck came in the mail. It is beautiful, and so is the bag.

I may try to use it as an oracle, because the titles on the cards are so clear.

schizandra

I was originally not interested in this deck as it involves less of the retrotech/fantasy element than Ciro's other decks. The GRL, I feel, also has less of that element than the others, and the Fin de Siécle Kipper has even less than the GRL. I respect the evolution of an artist's personal style however, and after watching the FdSK reveal on Truth in Story's YouTube, I find that I'm still a fan. :) I'm eager to add it to my (complete) Ciro Marchetti special editions collection. It will be my first Kipper deck! As the GRL was my first Lenormand. I can't wait to combine the two in my readings!

cirom

Thank you for your comments. Its not so much an evolution of style, my non tarot work is still very much into retrotech fantasy ...its just that I didn't feel that was appropriate for this deck. I wanted the Victorian setting to be more "genuine" rather that have it look like yet another steam punk themed deck.......Kipper is too down to earth, there would be little visual benefit from fantastical settings and gizmos... its about people, places and the social environment that dictated their lives (much of which i believe is easily applicable to today) No magicians hermits and priestesses, this is you., me, friends, family, work place, our financial situations....down to earth everyday life..... if you get my point.....

Chiska

What a great description, Ciro. The Kipper is grounded in the everyday realities of life. I hope to get your deck soon.

Barleywine

Thank you for your comments. Its not so much an evolution of style, my non tarot work is still very much into retrotech fantasy ...its just that I didn't feel that was appropriate for this deck. I wanted the Victorian setting to be more "genuine" rather that have it look like yet another steam punk themed deck.......Kipper is too down to earth, there would be little visual benefit from fantastical settings and gizmos... its about people, places and the social environment that dictated their lives (much of which i believe is easily applicable to today) No magicians hermits and priestesses, this is you., me, friends, family, work place, our financial situations....down to earth everyday life..... if you get my point.....

Thanks for holding the line on revisionism, Ciro. I wouldn't have expected less . . . or in this case, more :) Looking forward to getting the deck when it reaches the mass-market release point. I'm eager to use it in tandem with my GRL.

MissChiff

I really love mine! I goes very well with your Lenormand.... I'm enjoying them both! Thank you for all of your beautiful work!

cirom

Well the deck may not have my usual "tech" in the imagery style, but it does have "tech" embedded within it...I believe this is a first in the world of cartomancy, but no doubt won't be for long...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeRcXQIMFdo

MissChiff

This aura application is really cool, it really adds to the depth of the cards... And it's just plain fun!!

schizandra

Thanks for that explanation, Ciro. :)

I've always admired the way you've used technology to enhance and bring your cards to life! Ever since Tarot of Dreams CD ROM I've come to think of you as a pioneer of the digital frontier and the ways it can impact Tarot (and cartomancy in general).