An Epiphany About Wands!

Trogon

Okay, first off, this is not about a reading (though I briefly mention one), but rather about something that just now clicked in my head. I love that sound of the gears dropping into place after you've been grinding them for a while. :D

So, in preparation for using the Hermetic Tarot (by Dowson) for my Deck of the Week, I was looking over my "new deck reading" which I had done back on June 7th.

One of the cards was the 7 of Wands. Now I generally use the RWS as my main "reference" and learning deck. As I was looking at my notes on this reading, I pictured the RWS 7 of wands. I thought; "hey, he's holding the ground which he had won in the victory shown in the 6 of wands!" That's when the transmission dropped into gear. I (finally) realized there was an entire story portrayed in the Suit of Wands! I mean, yes, I "knew" there was, but this is the first time where all those pieces fell into place for me - allowing me to see the full flow of the story in this Suit. Much of what popped into my mind is rather militaristic because of the scenes of conflict shown in several cards.

Here's my thoughts on the Suit of Wands;

Ace; The beginning - making plans that will soon be set in motion.

II; He (the person shown) is setting those plans into motion, taking the first steps. Loading troops and supplies and setting off to invade.

III; He has things set up, a "beach head" has been established. This is the time to consolidate what he now holds.

IV; He is taking a brief respite to prepare defenses for the counter-attack. This is the "calm before the storm." There is a short time where they can enjoy their current success.

V; The real struggle begins. This is the "storm" hinted at in the IV. In military terms, the counter-attack.

VI; He has his victory. There is celebration (more so than seen in the IV), the triumphal entry into the conquered city. Again, he has opportunity to consolidate his holding of new-won territory, to build upon the expansion he has gained.

VII; He now holds the high ground, but there is a new struggle as others try to push him back. Another counter attack, or is it a new enemy?

VIII; After the last struggle he sees an opportunity to move again, gaining more territory, but he must be quick to capitalize on this opportunity.

IX; Again we see him in a defensive posture, holding the new teritory he has acquired. This is the chance to build upon successes, but he must maintain vigilance as the more he holds, the more that others want to take it away.

X; Eventually, the constant tension of maintaining the defense against a constant onslaught of enemies, old, new, external and internal, is becoming a burden which he can't bear and soon he will fall.

An interesting note which I only just now connected too ... I did the reading that prompted all of this back on June 7th ... one day after the anniversary of "D-Day" on June 6th.

Anyway, I found it to be quite interesting to my studies. Now to see if I can have similar epiphanies about Cups, Swords and Pentacles ...

nisaba

It's interesting to track the stories *backwards*, too, from Ten to Ace. Try it.

mary_leo

Hey Trogon, very interesting, thank you very much for this.
I've been wondering about the three of wands, because it shows up frequently for future or outcome.
I kept thinking that something I worked hard for would pay off.
It's always good to read different opinions on the same card.
Mary

EmpyreanKnight

You just inspired me to create my personal story for each suit of the RWS too. Thanks Trogon!

EmpyreanKnight

Oh and by the way, some Tarot decks tell a fully progressing story for each of their suits too. Off the top of my head, there is the Mythical Tarot and Waldherr's Goddess and Lover's Path Tarot. Maybe you can find inspiration in one of your decks that have narrative pips too. :)

Trogon

It's interesting to track the stories *backwards*, too, from Ten to Ace. Try it.

Interesting! That would definitely change the way they fit together! Thanks nisaba!

Hey Trogon, very interesting, thank you very much for this.
I've been wondering about the three of wands, because it shows up frequently for future or outcome.
I kept thinking that something I worked hard for would pay off.
It's always good to read different opinions on the same card.
Mary

Yep. The Two and Three of Wands have also been a bit problematic for me in readings. That's one of the reasons I was kind of excited when this popped into my head. And certainly, it's only one of many interpretations of these cards, but I felt it helped me understand them better.

You just inspired me to create my personal story for each suit of the RWS too. Thanks Trogon!

You're welcome! I'm going to be doing so as well.

Oh and by the way, some Tarot decks tell a fully progressing story for each of their suits too. Off the top of my head, there is the Mythical Tarot and Waldherr's Goddess and Lover's Path Tarot. Maybe you can find inspiration in one of your decks that have narrative pips too. :)

I have the Necronomicon which has also done this. But to be honest, I haven't laid them out in order to "read" the stories. Shameful! :laugh: I think I will though.

EmpyreanKnight

I have the Necronomicon which has also done this. But to be honest, I haven't laid them out in order to "read" the stories. Shameful! :laugh: I think I will though.

Ah yes, I have the Necronomicon too! But I held off on diving into it until I get into a Lovecraft phase. I have a complete set of his stories all compiled in a humongous book. From what I remember tho, the Necronomicon is also part of a Donald Tyson trilogy involving two other books I think.

In any case, thanks for reminding me, Trogon. :thumbsup:

Sentient

Trogon, this is a nice way to combine the suit cards into a coherent narrative. Well done.

The 5W could also be considered the main battle, rather than a counter-attack. It's when the fight begins in earnest. I've always thought the 10W was a rather depressing note to end on, given the dynamism of the suit. I suppose one could look for renewal via a change in perspective in the PW.

The ups and downs of life are apparent in your tale: progress then difficulty, then success followed by another obstacle, etc. Feels intuitively correct.

PS - Didn't realize that trogons are birds until I looked up quetzals. :)

Trogon

Trogon, this is a nice way to combine the suit cards into a coherent narrative. Well done.

The 5W could also be considered the main battle, rather than a counter-attack. It's when the fight begins in earnest. I've always thought the 10W was a rather depressing note to end on, given the dynamism of the suit. I suppose one could look for renewal via a change in perspective in the PW.

The ups and downs of life are apparent in your tale: progress then difficulty, then success followed by another obstacle, etc. Feels intuitively correct.

PS - Didn't realize that trogons are birds until I looked up quetzals. :)

I had thought about that with the 5W, and it does fit ... but for some reason, I kept coming back to it feeling like the counter-attack was the bigger battle. Thinking along the lines of there being an element of surprise to the initial invasion, then the large-scale counter attack to throw the invaders back into the sea.

And I definitely agree about the 10 of Wands. The Courts hadn't come to mind when I was thinking of these, so that 10W has a definite air of futility to it ... that all the struggle was for naught. One real-life thing that had occurred to me was how the Germans, and before them the French had found that invading Russia and trying to fight through the winter was far more costly than they ever expected.

LOL. I've only seen one Elegant Trogon down in Southern Arizona. Though I've heard them a couple of other times. They're gorgeous birds. I was so mesmerized watching him that I forgot to take a photo until after he'd flown off. :laugh:

One of these day's I'll get my own photo of one and change my avatar! :D