Thoughts on Reversals?

Yarnzipan

But, sometimes cards have a way to do what they want... and sometimes a card shows up reversed in the spread.
In that case I understand that it has really insisted to be reversed ! So I never ignore it. The rarity of the occurence makes it even more interesting.
And, even if I do not like to see images upside down, I have come to realise that sometimes, I am able to see things in the picture that I had not seen when the card was upright.

Yeah, despite never having really dealt with them pointedly, I've always listened when the cards are THAT firm, usually treating it like a card that popped out during shuffling, one of those 'HEY HEY LISTEN' Navi moment cards.

A lot of the misgivings with it that you've listed are the same as mine, so I'm glad to see that others share some of my feelings even if some other folks's ideas, and some reading, has had me want to see how it plays with certain decks.

And those Madame Clara's cards look awesome!

Barleywine

And, even if I do not like to see images upside down, I have come to realise that sometimes, I am able to see things in the picture that I had not seen when the card was upright.

For me, one of the most common instances of this occurs when the feet of the figures on the card seem to be "waving in the air," implying that the querent may have lost traction in the matter and needs to find their footing again. Another occurs when the "facing" of a card is altered by reversal. I rely on imagination to take me "outside the box" when contemplating reversed images.

headincloud

I've always read reversals, that's the way I chose to learn. It strikes me as easier and takes a lot of the guess work out of tarot because when we read upright only the card carries the potential of the upright and reversed meaning which widens the spectrum and it's difficult enough to interpret when we know the orientation let alone when we don't.

How would you know for example if the page of wands came out upright but was referring to the reversed orientation of the card which is nowhere near the character he/she is when the card is upright, what other cards would you look for to indicate a reversed spin? 7S maybe, 5S perhaps, Devil indicating an oppressive relationship. Too many variables for my liking, I'd rather know the orientation to begin with so I can read the card because reversed a lot of the cards are a million miles away from their upright meaning and besides that we still need an insight into the rev aspect of the card even if we're reading all upright but it's simply more difficult imho.

BTW I don't read the pictures I learned the rote meanings of the rev cards as with the upright but the pictures serve to jolt the many meanings we've learned whatever the orientation. Neither do I use different packs, I pin all the meanings I've learned onto the RWS, seems like a crazy notion to me to try and learn using different decks and is bound to slow progress but each to their own of course.

magicjack

I just can't be bothered with them. Do I make half reversed? Do I only make a 3rd reversed? Is it something that should be focused more on? I have the Majors for that. Is it the opposite meaning? I already use the reversed meanings a lot of times to begin with. Does it mean something internal going on? It's all internal as far as I'm concerned. I have tried many times to read reversals and then turn them upright and read them again and I seem to get the same answer only explained in a different way. I can't explain how I know when to read them with a " reversed" meaning but I have an uncanny way of doing it. Thirteen mentioned something that happens to me. The upside down picture totally stops my thinking process. I'm left handed, does that have anything to do with it?? Lol.

Barleywine

I've always read reversals, that's the way I chose to learn. It strikes me as easier and takes a lot of the guess work out of tarot because when we read upright only the card carries the potential of the upright and reversed meaning which widens the spectrum and it's difficult enough to interpret when we know the orientation let alone when we don't.

How would you know for example if the page of wands came out upright but was referring to the reversed orientation of the card which is nowhere near the character he/she is when the card is upright, what other cards would you look for to indicate a reversed spin? 7S maybe, 5S perhaps, Devil indicating an oppressive relationship. Too many variables for my liking, I'd rather know the orientation to begin with so I can read the card because reversed a lot of the cards are a million miles away from their upright meaning and besides that we still need an insight into the rev aspect of the card even if we're reading all upright but it's simply more difficult imho.

BTW I don't read the pictures I learned the rote meanings of the rev cards as with the upright but the pictures serve to jolt the many meanings we've learned whatever the orientation.

This. Those "pointers" save me time and trouble, doing it persistently any other way - while it may bulk up my interpretive muscles - wastes time and complicates the picture, often unnecessarily. Reversal gives practical results within the scope of the individual card, without the need for hair-splitting between that card and adjacent cards. I use Elemental Dignities for the latter, applying the Golden Dawn rubrics "for good or evil" and "according to their natures."

BeyondtheVeil

It is the Reader's Choice if they read reversals or not :)

I think it is really up to the reader. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about what other readers do. They are not you, so the experience they have/had won't be your experience per say.

I did reversals at first because it really helped me learn the meanings and to know which way the meaning was going in a reading. {Was it positive or negative}. I've actually had cards fall out side ways and I read those to mean there is both of that energy going on.

I am like some of the readers on this thread. I did use them at first, but found the more I tuned into my other abilities the less I needed them. Now I don't purposely try to read reversals, but if they fall out.. I do take it as needing to be read reversed. Though there have been a couple of times that it didn't feel right {like maybe it was an accident falling out} so I turned it upright.

Like I said.. It really depends on each individually reader. Do what you feel helps you connect to your reading and give the best accurate, clear answers. There is no right or wrong answer to using reversals are not.

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

SunChariot

So I have no doubt at ALL that I am opening up one heck of a can of worms on this one, but this is definitely one of the sort of subjects that I kind of joined the forum to ask since it's been kind of percolating in my brain the last few weeks. I also didn't see a thread on this super recently when I did a search but if I missed it, my bad!

The thing is that I, to date, have never read with reversals. It always seemed, to me, to be somewhat disruptive to the reading, even possibly making the images harder to interpret because they're upside down. On top of that, I always liked to keep my decks neat and orderly. On top of THAT, while I'm very much a fan of believing in the fate of things when it comes to the cards (ie, I always take into account cards that drop out of my hands, etc.) the idea that I could get more or less upright or reversed cards depending on how I picked up the deck just seemed too arbitrary to me.

Now, I've always read the cards using proximity and relationships of location to help augment the cards and help me figure out which shades and echoes of the meanings and associations are really the most pertinent. But it was only really recently, reading through a few more books and by extension, reading through a few example readings, that the idea of reversals really seemed all that attractive or useful to me as a prospect. Mostly because they've been very clear to treat it as a subverted or on-it's-head version and/or using it as an indication that the energy of that particular card has been stymied as opposed to giving it what seems like a whole new meaning, which fits my brainspace better. Obviously everything with the tarot has a lot of subjectivity to it, but the explanation I've found more recently just jives better than the stuff I read earlier.

But, while I do want to grow as a reader, those original points still stand to some degree. So I suppose I was wondering how people felt about the concept of reversals in general, how they tend to deal with them in a greater deck sense (do you shuffle them straight up and let fate accidentally reverse them? mix them all up on the table and see what ends up flipped? bridge the cards so that they're practically 50/50 at one point?) and if, say, they'd feel it's disrespectful to the cards or to the messages to, after NOTING that a card is reversed, perhaps manipulating it to see the images more easily.

I'm still sort of warming up to it but I'd love to hear people's thoughts (now that I've rambled for four paragraphs).

Here are my thoughts and opinions, as requested. :grin:

First of course reversals are never necessary. It really is about personal preference, but you can read by whichever method you choose and the cards will send you the answer using that method.

Also I totally agree that it would be disruptive to have to try to read upside down cards. As as lot of the meaning from directly from the card images, that would not work for me either. I DO usually use reversals, but I DO NOT read them upside down. Once all the cards for the reading are chosen I then write down which ones were reversed and upright them once again. All the cards are upright when I actually read them, but I use the reversed MEANINGS for the ones which came up reversed.

I can take notes because I only read online. But if I had to read in person I think I would just stick a marker (like a poker chip of something) next to the reversed cards to remind myself which one they are, then upright them all and start the reading.

There are many many ways and methods to use reversals. if it calls to you at the moment and it interests you, to me the best thing is to experiment. When it is calling to you, that too is your intuition calling. And I always say when it comes to Tarot, always follow your intuition.

That was my first method of using reversals too. A reversed card would say that the energy of the upright card was present and trying to assert itself...but that something was blocking it and delaying the event from occuring. That left the querent with 2 choices. IF the event was something they want to happen, we could then ask how to remove the blockage so it was free to flow our way. IF the event was not something they wanted, we could then ask how to block it permanently and prevent it from happening. But that method left 2 choices.

I've also used reversals in relationship readings to specify between the 2 people in the relationship. Upright = the querent, reversed = the other. This can be very handy sometimes in questions like....If you asked what will happen in the future between the two people and you got The Empress upright and the Chariot reversed, for example. These could say that the querent will feel caring, nurturing and the desire to do for the other. But the other person will have difficulties with it. Maybe feeling smothered or something. But you get the drift. You can use reversals to specify WHICH partner the cards want to talk about.

Or sometimes I have used reversals to specify between what is going on inside the querent vs coming from outside them. Upright = the querent. Reversed = coming from outside them.

Eg The Lovers upright would talk about loving feelings they are feeling for someone. The Lovers reversed would talk about loving feelings someone else is feeling for them. Or sometimes even the love-based energy in the world around them.

I even find reversals the easiest way to do yes/no questions. Simple. Upright = yes, reversed = no.

And of course you are always free to invent your own methods to do anything you want in Tarot, including reversals. Whatever works for you, works for you. Wherever it came from. :grin:

Babs

Ace

I have always used reversals. I agree with other that sometimes it seems the feet are in the air, lessening the effects of a bad card or maybe the swords are falling out--like the 10 or 3 of swords--making it better. But a lot of time is is simply NOT what the upright meaning is. That works for me. For you it maybe be totally different. Your feeling that reversed Disrupts the energy is the way YOU feel and is perfectly valid also. Good with what you feel works for you.

barb