Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Scarlet Woodland

I just realized I even linked to the very toned-down thread accidentally! Try reading this High Speech of Noldor thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=249541

(if you can reassemble your brains in their glass globe �� )

Yep this is why my Thoth sits quietly in a drawer, minding its own business :D Too put off by all that thothier than thou, competitive wiffling. Why use 10 clear words when you can use 800 opaque ones :rolleyes: All perfectly understandable given the right author but (dear, fluffy, sky goat), given the wrong one...

Back on topic, can anyone enable/de-enable me on the Apokalypsis yet? I cancelled my pre-order as the dates kept getting pushed back, figuring I'd order the kit when it finally landed. Can't quite decide if I really want it or am mainly lusting after the gilding and the massive book. I liked the Illuminati but I didn't love it.

FLizarraga

Apokalypsis Now or Never, and some Alchemical Mutations

I just realized I even linked to the very toned-down thread accidentally! Try reading this High Speech of Noldor thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=249541

(if you can reassemble your brains in their glass globe �� )

Yep this is why my Thoth sits quietly in a drawer, minding its own business :D Too put off by all that thothier than though, competitive wiffling. Why use 10 clear words when you can use 800 opaque ones :rolleyes: All perfectly understandable given the right author but (dear, fluffy, sky goat), given the wrong one...

How DARE you ignoramuses criticize Thothy talk! Like Crowley used to say, "Flatus delenda est ergo sum."

I just skimmed that thread (gosh, those posts are loooooooong, and most of the stuff is plainly incorrect), and was so inspired by it that came up with a rather simple spread I called "The Chryselephantine Stonewall of the Invisible Paths." Like I said, it's very simple (well, the name speaks for itself) and more than a tad lightweight, but hey, I'm barely a Gomorrah 2 x 2 = 5 neophyte. For those of you who want to give it a whirl, the simplified version is here.

Seriously speaking, as for the Apokalypsis, I'm also on the fence. You can get it now at Book Depository, and probably cheaper than Amazon, but, though I have and love the Illuminati, and admire enormously the Apokalypsis cards I have seen, I'm not completely sold. Can't put my finger on why, though.

Mutational Alchemy Tarot? Anyone has it?

Dee Ell

How DARE you ignoramuses criticize Thothy talk! Like Crowley used to say, "Flatus delenda est ergo sum."

I just skimmed that thread (gosh, those posts are loooooooong, and most of the stuff is plainly incorrect), and was so inspired by it that came up with a rather simple spread I called "The Chryselephantine Stonewall of the Invisible Paths." Like I said, it's very simple (well, the name speaks for itself) and more than a tad lightweight, but hey, I'm barely a Gomorrah 2 x 2 = 5 neophyte. For those of you who want to give it a whirl, the simplified version is here.

Mutational Alchemy Tarot? Anyone has it?

๐Ÿ˜‚Taking "inventor" to a whole new level with that plebeian spread!

As for pros/cons on the Mutational Alchemy why not pm some of those folks in the first link I posted that say they own it and ask them to give their opinions here?

Philistine

the simplified version is here.

Haahahahahahaa!! I clicked; I laughed; I sprayed coffee all over the southwest corner of my living room.

Problem is that the more I look at this deck, the more I like it. Uh oh!

Laura Borealis

Haahahahahahaa!! I clicked; I laughed; I sprayed coffee all over the southwest corner of my living room.

Problem is that the more I look at this deck, the more I like it. Uh oh!

Me too. I like the garishness of it. (I hope the creators don't read this but) some of the art is kind of derpy. Dragons and demons and dolphins, oh my! But I like that about it. It could be MORE garish really. I wish the cards could be printed as lenticular images, so you could tilt them and make the flames dance and snake tongues flicker in and out.

But I had a look at my bank balance and thought about groceries for the coming week, and the rent check I just wrote, and how Landlord Man will probably hang onto it for a few days before depositing. So I decided to back-burner it for now. It's not expensive but I'd hate to bounce a rent check.

bonebeach

Me too. I like the garishness of it. (I hope the creators don't read this but) some of the art is kind of derpy. Dragons and demons and dolphins, oh my! But I like that about it. It could be MORE garish really. I wish the cards could be printed as lenticular images, so you could tilt them and make the flames dance and snake tongues flicker in and out.

Yesss! Exactly. I like the garishness, too--which I think makes the creator's attitudes all the more funny/perplexing to me. Like, dude. Dude. Dragons and dolphins. We all need to chill, and then this experience would be SO fun. Holographic flickering tongues would be so great here! Like, this is the kind of deck I would want blinged out to the max. I would keep it in a box covered in rhinestones, and I would love it very much.

I love the art...but the text takes itself *so* seriously that I can't take any of it seriously at all in the least. Maybe if I got the deck and never ever ever referred to the on line guidebook? And never read any posts by the creators again, ever? (I read through the "direct descendant" thread back while it was happening and witnessed the train wreck in real time)

Does anyone not on the Thoth board actually have this thing? If the cardstock is decent I'm probably going to give up and order it at 3 AM one night even though I'm not even the person who brought it up in this thread.

FLizarraga

๐Ÿ˜‚Taking "inventor" to a whole new level with that plebeian spread!

Well, I didn't expect any of you to understand it, really. Talk about throwing pearls before swans. Or is it swine? Pearls before Swedish? I can't remember.

Me too. I like the garishness of it. (I hope the creators don't read this but) some of the art is kind of derpy. Dragons and demons and dolphins, oh my!

I know. But excess attracts me, really. Plus it gives it such crazy energy, don't you think?

But I like that about it. It could be MORE garish really. I wish the cards could be printed as lenticular images, so you could tilt them and make the flames dance and snake tongues flicker in and out.

Let's not forget the wieners and the bazongas.... :bugeyed:

Yeah, I completely sympathize about bouncing checks, being at the fraying end of my financial tether myself, which is why I'd like to see people commenting on how it reads before I take the proverbial plunge.

Yesss! Exactly. I like the garishness, too--which I think makes the creator's attitudes all the more funny/perplexing to me. Like, dude. Dude. Dragons and dolphins. We all need to chill, and then this experience would be SO fun. Holographic flickering tongues would be so great here! Like, this is the kind of deck I would want blinged out to the max. I would keep it in a box covered in rhinestones, and I would love it very much.

So we have been enabling you, and now you're enabling me. Why did you have to mention rhinestones? :rolleyes:

I love the art...but the text takes itself *so* seriously that I can't take any of it seriously at all in the least. Maybe if I got the deck and never ever ever referred to the on line guidebook? And never read any posts by the creators again, ever? (I read through the "direct descendant" thread back while it was happening and witnessed the train wreck in real time)

This post made me cry. ๐Ÿ˜‚

As for pros/cons on the Mutational Alchemy why not pm some of those folks in the first link I posted that say they own it and ask them to give their opinions here?

Are you INSANE? (See bonebeach's post above.)

Dee Ell

Well, I didn't expect any of you to understand it, really. Talk about throwing pearls before swans. Or is it swine? Pearls before Swedish? I can't remember.

Are you INSANE? (See bonebeach's post above.)

It's pearls before suet, and speak for yourself!! (I know an electrical engineering diagram when I see one, you charlatan, you ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

๐Ÿ˜‚ I'm not talking about the creators commenting, nor inviting anyone's analysis of what's happening in the deck (nor is this the right thread for that) I'm talking about asking someone we know who actually owns it to talk about its readability, which IS what you want to know about, right? ๐Ÿ˜œ

Laura Borealis

Aw, I think the artist has a sense of humor. I watched her video and she seems pretty chill! Plus she put little jokes in the deck. Like, check out the potted plant on the desk in the Eight of Pentacles card. :cool5:

I know. But excess attracts me, really. Plus it gives it such crazy energy, don't you think?

Totally. I like it in the same way I like the Cosmic Tribe. So over the top and kind of silly, but in a wise fool way. The MAT feels friendly too. I can't possibly follow all the esoteric stuff, especially the hexagram stuff, but I feel like it would meet me where I am. Invite me to hop on that Strength dinosaur and take me for a ride.

As a counter example, the Hermetic tarot is also crammed full of esoteric detail, but I get the feeling from it that it wants to keep its secrets for the initiated only. It's all prickly and fenced in with that dense black and white art.