Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

FLizarraga

I'm holding off on the MAT a little longer but, ahem.

Same here... :p

Golden Tarot of Klimt? Yes/No?

I would say this is a "Why not?" kind of deck.

I have the Dali deck, which I read with easily but not often. I'm rather familiar with Dali's work, though, and only passingly familiar with Klimt. Do I need to be more familiar? Does the gold hold up nicely? Is it super RWS-y? I'm not really into RWS at the moment.

Familiarity with Klimt's art is not really necessary, IMHO. And I'd say it's only somewhat RWS-y, or maybe RWS-y with a twist. Justice, for example, shows Judith holding Holofernes' head (not your usual depiction), the Kings seem strangely melancholy, and the 2 of Swords looks like a scene out of Bent. :bugeyed:

It kind of seems like the deck is a lot of female nudes and gold and a great Death card, which, honestly, sounds kind of perfect, but I've been burned by my impulses before...

It is a stunning, strange deck. Some of the nudes are downright skeletal, which bothered me in the beginning more than the genitalia --though genitalia rarely bothers me, anyway-- but now I'm used to it. I'd say take a chance. If it doesn't work for you, you'll always find someone willing to take it off your hands.

claire1805

I personally could not read with this deck. I got very short, "flat", messages from it. Which was sad because I do like the artwork a lot. :( I just couldn't connect, and traded it a while back.

The guidebook is fantastic though! I personally had a hard time connecting her meanings (which are quite RWS-inspired) with the images, but she is a good writer and knows how to draw her reader into her little stories. :)

Thank you for sharing, Citrin! The orange (of all colors :)) borders was what that have drawn my curiosity towards this deck. 'Short, flat messages' do not sound too good. I guess I will pass over this deck as I want a deck that can aid me in working with my intuition purely by the images of the cards.

Le Fanu

R.e The Raven's Prophecy
I personally could not read with this deck. I got very short, "flat", messages from it. Which was sad because I do like the artwork a lot. :( I just couldn't connect, and traded it a while back.
Same here. It's an attempt to steal the thunder of the Wild Unknown (Llewellyn are like that) - "let's be minimalist with twigs" - there really isn't enough going on to get any readings of substance in my opinion. If you want that kind of minimalism, go for the Wild Unknown or a Marseilles. I found it flat and empty and I - who hardly ever trade decks - took it to the local shop and sold it off there. Don't miss it.

Laura Borealis

My problem with reading the Raven's Prophecy is that I have read all the Raven Cycle novels. So the Fool is always going to be Blue, for instance, and the Chariot is tied to the scene where Ronan and Kavinsky's dream-creatures do battle. The skull in Death is Glendower's skull, the ravens are Chainsaw, and all those hands are Adam's... then there are cards where I haven't figured what they refer to, and that also distracts me from a reading. Whose lips are the Queen of Wands? Maybe Piper? I'm not sure. So yeah. Mucho distracting when doing a reading.

I don't think Maggie was trying to jump on the Wild Unknown bandwagon, though. She did a few cards for a promo, and fans asked for a whole deck. None of the images are like, random forest creatures. It comes out of the books.

Tippyjane

Someone de-enable me from the Wooden Tarot. I have had this in my cart and out of my cart so many times. Some images look beautiful and some repulsive which makes me think I need this deck because it's challenging - but my tarot budget (hahahahaha is that even a term?) is fried.

Laura Borealis

I feel drawn to the Wooden Tarot too, but I realized most of the pips don't say anything to me. Also I realized that, even though I like the God cards, I resent having human-bodied figures in a deck that mostly depicts animals and animal bones.

I figure I satisfy my wants with some of skullgarden's gorgeous art instead.

Madrigal

Someone de-enable me from the Wooden Tarot. I have had this in my cart and out of my cart so many times. Some images look beautiful and some repulsive which makes me think I need this deck because it's challenging - but my tarot budget (hahahahaha is that even a term?) is fried.

That's about right. Some of the images are really lovely and some inspire a visceral contraction. I've used it a few times but haven't found my way in yet.

I feel drawn to the Wooden Tarot too, but I realized most of the pips don't say anything to me. Also I realized that, even though I like the God cards, I resent having human-bodied figures in a deck that mostly depicts animals and animal bones.

I figure I satisfy my wants with some of skullgarden's gorgeous art instead.

The Earthbound Oracle is by the same person. It's rather nice though there a few cards that inspire a similar reaction as described above.

Nickigirl

Wild Unknown Book Set

Hi! Can I ask for enabling/de-enabling for the 2nd edition with the book? I love my first edition. I'm considering the deck/book set. Do I need the set? Just the book? Just the 2nd edition deck? Just keep my 1st edition? Help?!?

feynrir

A thorough de-enabling on TWU2nd

Hi! Can I ask for enabling/de-enabling for the 2nd edition with the book? I love my first edition. I'm considering the deck/book set. Do I need the set? Just the book? Just the 2nd edition deck? Just keep my 1st edition? Help?!?

I only own the 1st edition Wild Unknown set, but have encountered the cardstock of the 2nd and the companion book. Full disclosure. :)

The Wild Unknown Tarot's companion book never appealed to me. I have read snippets of it and found its meanings very shallow compared to the richness of the cards themselves.

The 2nd edition has appealed to me, but I refrained because 1.) cost outweighed my interest, and 2.) I already have the first edition and there is not enough to warrant another deck purchase. The promise of a thinner cardstock intrigued me, but I've discovered that the cardstock isn't even different enough to write home about! It is thinner, sure, but has a similar matte finish and really isn't different enough that it would ever warrant me a second purchase. And I am a cardstock snob.

I do not think you need to get the 2nd edition deck, and I especially do not think you need to get the book unless simplified descriptions will help you center in on (some very one-dimensional) card meanings.

bonebeach

The only reason to get the second edition TWU is if you like the snakeskin cardbacks better. I've bought both--the first edition for myself, and, much later, the second edition to give as a gift. I handled the second one for a week or so before sending it off, and it's nice, but I don't think it's different enough to warrant a purchase. And I think the first edition has nicer (like insanely nice) cardstock. I have one of the early on first editions, though, which apparently is extra sturdy even compared to later first editions.

I've never bought TWU guidebook. I've read snippets of it, and it does seem one dimensional and just unnecessary--unless you were giving the whole kit as a gift to someone with zero tarot experience, maybe. And even then, eeh.

Sshhh. You don't need the set. And the second edition isn't any prettier than the first, promise. :) Unless you really love those card backs...