Golden Tarot

jema

After holding back for what feels like months I finally went ahead and ordered the set. It was really cheap too so I am pleased with myself.

jmd

... and more good news...

check the third smiley's third name
  • :):):D

Jewel-ry

How did you do that jmd?

Thats quite a gathering isn't it?

If I win the lottery I will be there.

J :)

Savoyali

Re: I'm so jealous!

retrokat said:
I've been thinking I should start up a Golden Tarot Tour section on my website, listing cities and which paintings are there. Locals such as yourself could send in their stories, photos etc so we could put together a detailed itinerary for the Tour.

What a fabulous idea! (Though you must really have too much time on your hands to even be thinking about something of the sort :p) I'd love to hear those stories from all over the world, and an opportunity to show our appreciation by contributing to such a collection would be most welcome, I'm sure.

Perhaps one day I can even do the Tour myself! I've only seen a handful of my sources in real life myself so far (mostly in London) - Can't wait to go to Italy especially. So many paintings in one country...

Also, I'm hoping to start work on my next deck some time soon, so a trip to Europe would be great for my research. My partner & I are thinking we could also make a "Making Of..." film on digital video, sort of a travelogue, showing all the elements in their original contexts.

Maybe in a few years, if sales of Golden go well enough to pay for a few months in Europe... (dream, dream...)

I wish it for you with all my heart. You certainly deserve it. I'd gladly put you up when you decide to drop by here :)

retrokat

Is Golden Tarot a RWS Clone?

Since all of the early reviews have mentioned the similarity to RWS (in a really complimentary way, I should add) I realised I hadn't really covered this on my website. So - I just did:

http://www.goldentarot.com/rwsclone.htm

It's a pretty brief discussion, but one I should have put on the site long ago. I guess it was just so obvious I forgot to mention it.

Ooh, and thanks for the kind offer of accommodation, Savoyali! Perhaps you could become a local GT tour guide and rent out your spare bedroom as a Bed & Breakfast for passing tarotphiles? ;)

GitaByte

Hi Kat - I dropped by your site and read the tribute and your fascinating discussion of where your imagery choices diverged and evolved. I find each one of your choices to actually deepen possible meanings, while never seeming to detract or divert away into something inaccessible. I also find the deck to be non threatening while still preserving the possibility of seeing light and shadow meanings. I think I have always felt some trepidation which prevented me from really opening up to really studying the tarot in depth, but with this deck I feel really open and trusting. I dont exactly know how to describe this, but I guess what I am saying is that this deck does not feel "occult" to me, but instead seems to help me to stay open to looking at things in new ways.

I am really glad that you did put in a tribute to Pamela Coleman Smith. Some time ago I found a website which I could not find tonight, but it had the most beautiful tribute to her along with a picture, some of her poetry, and a rather moving tribute the contributions she indeed made to the accessibility of tarot imagery. I wish I could find that again, it was very moving and inspiring.

I do not see this deck as merely a clone, I think too much devoted and creative positive imagery has gone into the creation of this deck, but I do really think its wonderful that you did indeed devote a page to PCS as indeed she is the creatrix which really transformed the possibilities of the tarot into something life enhancing for modern seekers.

retrokat

Hi Gita,

There is a whole chapter dedicated to Pamela Colman Smith in Stuart Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot Volume 3 - and you're right, I'm sure I've seen much of the material from Kaplan's tribute to her reproduced on the web somewhere - complete with pictures that show she deserved her nickname "Pixie" :)

So far, the nicest thing anyone's said about my deck was a Golden Tarot review that said something along the lines of "If Smith had had access to the same technology as Black, this is the deck she would have produced".

I agree with you Gita, that Smith must have been an amazing, insightful and imaginative person - so I can't imagine higher praise than being seen as a successor to her vision in some small way. I don't think I'm quite there yet - I feel I rushed Golden a little, and could do better... Given a few years to work on it, and at least a few months in every European country to do my research ;)

It's comforting to know that Smith also 'rushed' the RWS deck - imagine what it could have been if she'd had a few years to work on it instead of a few short months. Ah, the realities of having to pay one's rent!

GitaByte

Found It!

Hi Kat, Indeed I think every creative person always feels; "what with a little more time...." The thing is that not every creative person manages to actually bring their vision to fruition, and fewer still have the courage and initiative to send it out and let it make its own way in the world.

You have managed to do all these things, and you have devoted so much of yourself to your creative efforts that so many of us feel like we have some idea of who you are because your work speaks to us so honestly.

After I read your response something clicked and I suddenly remembered where I had seen that moving Coleman tribute, its at http://www.wicce.com/memoriam.html
click on the hypertexts for a wonderful picture of "Pixie"

I think its a powerful statement on the fact that no matter what little effect we do feel we have had on the world, honest devoted effort, under whatever circumstances, does in time allow the cream to rise to the surface.

Emily

Well I think I've put in a token show of resistance :D - Easter is coming early to my house - I keep checking out the cards on Kat's site and I need to see this deck in real now. The symbolism is so easy to see on the cards, its an amazingly clear deck, like my other baby the Morgan Greer.

I ordered about 10 mins ago lol :D

Khatruman

retrokat said:
I feel I rushed Golden a little, and could do better... Given a few years to work on it, and at least a few months in every European country to do my research ;)

It's comforting to know that Smith also 'rushed' the RWS deck - imagine what it could have been if she'd had a few years to work on it instead of a few short months. Ah, the realities of having to pay one's rent!
As a fellow creative being, I can understand feeling you have not finished your work. I agree with Gita in that no creator ever feels completely "finished" with a work. I think it was seeing an interview with George Lucas on the making of Star Wars where he said that a film is never finished, it escapes. There is always more that could be tweaked, changed, developed, etc. etc., but an accomplished artist is one who lets her work escape to the public, lets it go from being hers to being ours, where it takes on new life.

That is what you have done. You have had the courage to release the Golden to us. I, for one, thank you for that gift, for that letting go.

As far as feeling you were rushed and didn't have the time: in a way, deadlines are good. If you were told that you had as much time as you wanted, that there was no line where you had to complete it, you may have found that it wouldn't have turned out so well. I know I work better if the pressure is on. When I feel less time constricted, other things come in and distract me, set me off the course. Deadlines force action, bring out more of your good stuff.

It is hard to tell an artist that something is perfect when the artist knows damn well it isn't, but your gift to us here is pretty damn beautiful!