Tabula Mundi

Nemia

The cardstock feels solid and matte. It's flexible and not too thick, that makes it easy to shuffle in spite of its size.

The best thing about it IMO: its colour. It's slightly off white, a warm-to-neutral nuance that I like very much. Since the cards are so rich in detail, this background and border has a calming effect. It unites the image better than a straight harsh white would do. It also looks gently aged without any conscious effort. IMO a very good choice for this deck. Oh I love everything about it!

Le Fanu

And laying them out is satisfying, you can hear a little snappy woosh as the card hits the table. But it is thick enough you can rub your finger along the edge of the deck and feel each card.
Thank you everyone. I definitely get a sense of cardstock from all these comments. This one above is my favourite - and it's interesting what Nemia says about the off-white colour. That does makes a huge difference-. I have an early Navigators of the Mystic SEA and the later very-white bordered ones have a different feel. Conway's Intuitive Tarot also has off-white borders and it makes it a very pleasing and restful to look at.

baconwaffles

I would really encourage you/everyone to spring for the Decan cards. They do something very clever, well the whole deck does, with linking symbols across cards. The Decan cards really cement the aspects of Astrology that are a part of Tarot (well you know) and give you a way into looking at the relationships across the cards. This is a deck that rewards use, but also rewards study.

And check the Tabula Mundi website, where Mel has some great blogposts about the deck and the Decan cards in particular.
I just went ahead and ordered the Decan cards, I look forward to seeing it all together. The deck alone is impressive. No other deck before has invaded my dreams so viscerally, and I love love love the Thoth.

JylliM

While we're enabling, don't forget the large majors. :)

silvereye

Has anyone successfully done any daily readings with this deck over more mundane matters? So just career or relationship readings, not spiritual ones. Just to assess how practical this feck is given all the esoteric symbols. Perhaps it is more for spiritual readings.

Nemia

No, the readings i did were on practical matters, too. In that way, I felt it's like the Thoth: you can go as deep or as pragmatic as you wish. In my experience, they both work in Atziluth or Assia.

csmith0406

Has anyone successfully done any daily readings with this deck over more mundane matters? So just career or relationship readings, not spiritual ones. Just to assess how practical this feck is given all the esoteric symbols. Perhaps it is more for spiritual readings.

This works great as my daily deck, I feel like the art is very accessible in spite of rewarding esoteric study, it also works well for regular reading. That is my experience anyway, but I do enjoy complex and dramatic art.

magicjack

Well I finally got the my Tabula Mundi a few weeks ago and started thumbing thru it, thinking maybe, what have a got myself into again?? (I have the app with the book). Leaving it in order, reading the LWB, looking at the cards... It began to breakdown the meaning and understanding of the Golden Dawn and the Thelemic thought. So I felt it was time to just mix them up and start reading them. ( I have not finished the book and all the other nuances of the deck).. To my surprise, the deck becomes quite friendly to whatever you want to ask it. So while I'm enjoying reading with it, I can also dig down deep into the rest of it. I think it does in a way surpass explaining the thelemic / Golden Dawn concept, or system, much better than Crowley's Thoth. Or can I say it helps to understand the Thoth deck better? M.M. Meleene must be a smart cookie. Not only can she break it down, but she can draw and paint it too. I am curious to see if I get bored with it eventually, but so far it's not as complicated as it seems to be. I think it can be as easy or as complicated deck as you want. So far I really like it.

Spiffo

I find it works equally well for my daily two card draw (which is invariably mundane) and general readings, as well as the more in-depth readings. In all an utter workhorse of a deck.

And, if you don't know Mel and (forthcoming Llewellyn author) Susie Chang are doing a podcast!!! Each episode concentrates on one card and looks at the esoteric nature of the card, plus an unpacking of symbols, myths, woohoo ideas ...

Even better they are using BOTH Thoth and the RWS so everyone will get something out of it. I've just finished the first two episodes (on the Fool and Magus) and they were probably the best discussions of the cards I've come across.

Search for "Fortune's Wheelhouse" on your preferred podcast thingie. That search will probably also throw up the accompanying website on Patreon, which is full of great background material, and introductory material on the Tree, Hebrew letters, colours and so much more.

Rose Lalonde

...And, if you don't know Mel and (forthcoming Llewellyn author) Susie Chang are doing a podcast!!! Each episode concentrates on one card and looks at the esoteric nature of the card, plus an unpacking of symbols, myths, woohoo ideas ...

Even better they are using BOTH Thoth and the RWS so everyone will get something out of it. I've just finished the first two episodes (on the Fool and Magus) and they were probably the best discussions of the cards I've come across...

Listened to the podcast for The Fool today, and you're right, it's great. I had the Thoth and RWS in front of me (along with TM and Rosetta, why not) and was following along with references to symbols on the former two. In particular, I enjoyed the significance of crocodile/mountains bottom left and the thinking behind King scale colors for paths with Queen scale for sephiroth.

Though the Thoth and RWS are the springboards, the first podcast gives an extra glimpse into the ideas underpinning Tabula Mundi's Fool too, particularly, for me, more about the crocodile, the serpents (and Harpocrates), and the wormhole.

(As a bonus, I couldn't help but notice a quick reference 30 minutes in to the fact that MM has begun work on a third deck!)