Lo Scarabeo - 2 of Pentacles

kittiann

This card is so Thoth, I love it! The snake in the shape of the lemniscate (infinity symbol) is taken from the Thoth deck, though the coloration of the snake is different. Here it is a beautiful emerald green with a yellow belly. Like the Thoth, the snake wears a crown on its head, with yin-yangs on the crown also from the Thoth. The two other features of the card, the coins engraved with scarabs and the background of water, come from the Marseilles and the RWS respectively. The coins engraved with the scarab (symbol of Lo Scarabeo) follow a tradition of many Marseilles decks where the name of the creator or printer is featured on the two of coins. The water seems to echo the water found in the background of the RWS.. perhaps if one were looking overhead at that water, on would see the LS 2 of pentacles :)

All that said, I think this card echoes the meanings of the Thoth card as well as its artwork. The snake biting its own tail, the yinyangs, and the very shape of the lemniscate speak to us of a world that is constantly changing, yet imbued with an order that is constant. Much like trump 10 (the Wheel of Fortune) once one reaches the bottom, one immediately finds themselves at the top again. There is no end and no beginning. Everything is constantly turning, constantly changing, as part of the order of the cosmos. And yet, I think the water making up the background gives this card a totally different dimension that's not found in the Thoth. The water speaks to me of a world outside, the spiritual world that lies beyond our ideas of duality and change. It reminds me forcefully of the first verses of the Biblical book of Genesis, though I haven't read the Bible in years. In the very second verse, it says "The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters." I've always liked the concept of that: even before there was creation, before there was this material world or anything in it, there was the eternal waters that exist outside of time, and still exist almost outside of our conception. That's what the water on this card represents to me :)