Intuitive Tarot~The Lovers VI

minrice

Conway's interpretation of the Lovers is not typical at all, and that's why I like it. Two pale figures are conjoined together under a luminous moon, with a dark and seemingly sinister figure lurking in the shadows.

To me the presence of the dark figure is Fear. Everything is a choice between love and fear. My thoughts are also that Love has a shadow side (which is fear) and an equal, opposite force. There must be union, a spiritual connection, to combat the darkness that is always wanting to tear down that which is built. I think the dark figure is a reminder that love is not all fun and games, that love is a choice and love is not easy. The dark side of love brings out our fears, our inseurities, our obsessions.

The companion book asks the question of the Lovers being joined, Is it restrictive or secure?

I like this card, although the presence of the dark figure in the background might lead me to interpret this card more negatively than I would otherwise. The surrounding cards will tell whether or not the figure is a healthy presence or not.

Attachments

• IT-L.jpg
    IT-L.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 77

desertrat

This is not a romantic, joyful Lovers card. The female looks downright melancholy. Perhaps she is tired of the relationship. The man's leg is extended, as if he is moving forward. Perhaps the woman feels like she is being dragged along with him. It feels like there is something going on between these two.

Let's face it, in choosing to have a deep intimate relationship with another person risks one risks experiencing a lot of pain. It's never a fairy-tale ending. There might be heartache, betrayal, jealousy, control, and even violence. On the other hand, we might gain support, affection, healing, passion, security, and even happiness. Even when we think we know what we are getting ourselves into, we may be mistaken. Risky business.

Often we kid ourselves about the other person - hence the moon? Illusions? Self-deception? Is the dark figure there to mislead us or to guide us? Is it our subconscious attempting to draw us back from our flights of fantasy? Like you say, perhaps the surrounding cards may shed some light on these questions.

Wow, does all that sound depressingly negative, or what? But those are the impressions I get from this card. All in all, I feel it is a novel portrayal of the Lovers and I like that.

minrice

I like that it isn't all fun and games Lovers card too, I think it is a great portrayal of the reality of love and being in a relationship. As for the conjoined couple, their union could indicate security. A bond that the dark figure cannot break.

minrice

Another thought I had last night on the dark figure in this card. It could be the "other" presence in the relationship. Like another man/woman/lover, an in-law, a career, anything that you now have a relationship with just because you are involved with this other person.