Book to go with mini-Motherpeace

Aerin

My (mini) Motherpeace deck is finally arriving next week sometime.

Is there a particular book which is worth getting for it? I've seen three on Amazon:

Motherpeace Tarot Playbook
Motherpeace Tarot Guidebook
Motherpeace : A Way to the Goddess Through Myth, Art, and Tarot

The Guidebook is by far the cheapest option, half the price of the others.

I am happy to manage with the deck and LWB plus my own intuition unless one of these will significantly add to my experience of the deck.

Aerin

Kaz

aerin,
i am curious to know what you think about the deck. why did you buy this one?
i haven't got it btw, and i don't know about these books, soz.

kaz

truthsayer

i've read in several bibliographies and others that "a way to the goddess thru myth, art, and tarot" is a good book to have w/ or w/o the deck. i haven't heard of the other 2. the main complaint i've ever heard about the deck or book is that it's highly feminist.

mauishelle

Aerin said:
Motherpeace : A Way to the Goddess Through Myth, Art, and Tarot

Hey Aerin,

I have the above book to go with my mini-Motherpeace and like it quite a bit. I may actually have an extra copy hanging around as I thought I'd lost it at some point and picked it up again. I think it was the book that made me love the deck. I think I mentioned in another thread that I don't "love" the artwork on the deck which is generally a necessity for me, but while often charged as being too feminist of a deck, I find it to be a very healing deck. IMHO the book is a must have to understand the imagery.

Enjoy! I'd be happy to see if my extra copy is still hanging around if you're anywhere near the west coast. If not, you may not want to wait as mail can be a little slow from the middle of the Pacific LOL

~Shelle

catlin

I am still toying around with adding the Motherpeace to my collection but I could not make up my mind to get the standard or the mini version. Besides, I was a bit put off by some reviews so I still added it not to my collection.

Aerin

Thanks mauishelle, I am in the UK so the postage may be a bit much! I will certainly look further into the book though. truthsayer, thanks as well: good to get 2 posts recommending the same book.

kaz, I just fancied a round deck and from what I've read this is a good one. The feminist angle doesn't bother me - that could mean anything from just not patriarchal to anti-men I suppose, but I haven't read anything which suggests the latter.

I will let you all know what I think when it arrives - with the Jubilee holiday it is likely to be later on this week. I got the mini one because I like small things.

Aerin

Kiama

catlin said:
I am still toying around with adding the Motherpeace to my collection but I could not make up my mind to get the standard or the mini version.

I have a simple answer to this: GET THEM BOTH!!!!!!! }) Well, that's what I'm gonna do.... I really want the Motherpeace Round: It the first round Tarot deck after all!

Aerin: If you really want the Motherpeace: A Way To The Goddess Through Myth, etc, and if you have problems finding it, I can get it for you. I live in the UK, and the book is in one of my local bookstores. (At least, it was when I last checked!)

Kiama

mauishelle

Aerin said:
Thanks mauishelle, I am in the UK so the postage may be a bit much! I will certainly look further into the book though. truthsayer, thanks as well: good to get 2 posts recommending the same book.

Oops, sorry, didn't even look at your profile. Not even that it would be that expensive, it would just take forever LOL

Hugs, Shelle

AutumnMoonfire

I have all of the books mentioned, If you want something that will go beyond the LWB, the Book Motherpeace: A Way to the Goddess Through Myth, Art and Tarot(the big book) would be the best choice. The Guildbook is fine except that it is an expanded less annoying LWB. The Playbook is a thing unto itself...has more to do with using Tarot as a study tool, kinda.

The big book does not give reversed meanings...I didn't read reversals for a long time, but I can imagine that they could be read as perverted or blocked meanings or whatever your intuition tells you to do.

I also have both the Mini and regular decks, I enjoy them, they are what got me into Tarot in the first place

mauishelle

AutumnMoonfire said:
The big book does not give reversed meanings...I didn't read reversals for a long time, but I can imagine that they could be read as perverted or blocked meanings or whatever your intuition tells you to do.

Very true. One of the reasons I was attracted to this round deck when I was first starting was that I didn't want to have to deal with reversals and felt it was easier to just read the cards upright if they were round. LOL When I finally became comfortable with reversals I noticed that these cards have a very distinct way of falling not only upright and reversed but also full on the left side or full on the right side. I find the ones sitting on the left as being energies not being fulfilled and to the right as pushed a little too far, and then reversed are reversed of course...

~Shelle