LS Pagan Tarot - The couple

sharpchick

One of the things that draws me closest to a deck is one that tells a story. A bonus delight for me is to find some continuity in at least some of the people depicted in the deck. Those are but two of the reasons I love this deck (as I also do Lee Bursten's Gay Tarot, which also has both of the previously mentioned qualities).

Aside from study, I generally use this deck for spiritual readings. The last time I read with this deck, I had put all the cards back in order when I put it away. Before shuffling and laying my spread, I began going through the cards in order, smiling as I silently narrated the story in the cards to myself.

It was when I got to the Wands that the "couple" (M/F) leapt out at me. From my view, the same woman (for me, the Seeker) and man appear on the 4, 5, 6, and 9 of Wands, as well as on the 5 of Swords and The World. It occurs to me that this couple represents the Lady and the Lord. . . the Crescent Moon Goddess and her consort, the Stag Horned God.

Anyone else feel that?

Cerulean

Yes, I agree...in terms of the characters...slight difference

The woman that appears in almost every card with long, dark hair (except for the court cards and elementals) is in fact the main character. The younger man companion is her significant other.

I do like that story element and following a character throughout the cards.

(I may not see the outcome of the story elements quite like you do yet--that is culminating in the idea of being "Lady and Lord" as I might see it in the Druidcraft--but that's just my perception at the moment).

I hope I'm being clear that I do agree with you, up to a point...

Unlike the LS Gothic Tarot of the Vampires--where the younger, main dark haired characters can be either twin aspects or supposedly/alternatively, a pair that is male and female main characters throughout the story.

Best regards,

Cerulean

P.S. I glanced at the book from the Pagan Tarot kit to confirm my ideas! If I find they do actually end up being Lord and Lady in the 'story', Ill post...

annik

I haven't noticed it. But I am also curious about the answer!

sharpchick

Cerulean said:
(I may not see the outcome of the story elements quite like you do yet--that is culminating in the idea of being "Lady and Lord" as I might see it in the Druidcraft--but that's just my perception at the moment).

Oh, of course. . . .I suspect that it would only be Wiccans who might see the imagery exactly as I have. I've read some criticism about the deck from people who are pagan (but not Wiccan), saying that they really felt the deck had not been named properly, since there was imagery that was obviously designed to resonate with Wiccans, and not all pagans are Wiccan.

For purposes of clarity, perhaps I should have asked if anyone saw the couple as the female and male attributes of deity - however deity may manifest to any particular individual.

MareSaturni

For me, the whole deck tells the girl's story, the guy with her being her significant other. I also believe that she starts as a neophyte and ends as a high-priestess (with her s/o as the high priest).

That's what i see, at least :)

~Yuko

sharpchick

That's probably a more on-point interpretation than mine Miss Yuko. Thanks for the insight.

Briar Rose

Cerulean said:
The woman that appears in almost every card with long, dark hair (except for the court cards and elementals) is in fact the main character. The younger man companion is her significant other.

I do like that story element and following a character throughout the cards.

Unlike the LS Gothic Tarot of the Vampires--where the younger, main dark haired characters can be either twin aspects or supposedly/alternatively, a pair that is male and female main characters throughout the story.

Best regards,

Cerulean

P.S. I glanced at the book from the Pagan Tarot kit to confirm my ideas! If I find they do actually end up being Lord and Lady in the 'story', Ill post...

Is the book you speak of the LWB, or did a bigger book also come with this deck? I am loving this deck. It is so easy to read with. I understand it.

Cerulean

Theres a larger kit edition with text by Gina Pace and another kit...

http://www.amazon.com/Pagan-Tarot-Kit-English-Spanish/dp/0738708461

That is a regular size deck and Gina Pace's story that seems to involve a woman involved in different studies, work situations, etc.

--------------------------------------------------later note:

I found as of December 2009 that Lo Scarabeo was offering the Pagan Tarot in a smaller playing card size format, but not as small as their mini-tarots. This kit has color illustrations of the Pagan tarot but the text is by Barbara Moore and there isn't the same story that Gina Pace told in her kit edition above.

That's discussed in the link below:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2093977&postcount=36

A better price ($27) from B&N sellers below as of April 2010:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Pagan-Magical-Kit/Lo-Scarabeo/e/9780738719344

I hope that helps.

Cerulean

Briar Rose

I have the deck and the LWB only. I wish I had the companion book.

Cerulean

Here's a listing for book only

http://www.llewellyn.com/product.php?ean=9780738709376

The cheapest I could find was about $17.00 online. I am surprised that sometimes the new price from the distributor Llewellyn was less costly than used prices elsewhere!

Good luck in your search and hope you can find it.

Cerulean