Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Cards

AeonicFlow

I recently gave myself a long reading with the Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Cards. It was my first time using the cards, and I brought the reading to a close 3/4 of the way through the second square because it wasn't making sense. Cards contradicted other cards. For instance, no. 25 (Clouds) with the bright side toward the person indicates domestic happiness, but this was contradicted by no. 20 (Lilies), which forecasts family sorrow, because it is next to no. 25! Also, in the long reading, many cards make a general prediction of wealth or vexation for *everyone* who does the reading, since in the long reading all of the cards are laid out and *everyone* will get these cards. And finally, many of the cards, were simply redundant.

This was my first reading with these cards. Usually, I use the Rider-Waite tarot deck. I'm confused because the Rider-Waite gave me a very positive forecast (three card spread: King of Cups, Ten of Pentacles, The Chariot) when I asked whether I should give myself a reading using the Gypsy Witch cards.

Anybody have any insight into this?

Chronata

These cards are sweet in their way, but rather limiting for an oracle.

They work best with SHORT readings...say one to four cards...three is a good number. I have never found luck with reading the long spreads!

You may also need to use a little intuition with them...in other words don't just go with what is written on the card. Rack your brain for other meanings of the symbols that come up, and you can add any flashes of insight to the reading.

Try it one more time...only limit the number of cards! I bet you will get a more acceptable answer.

Good luck!

AeonicFlow

Thanks

Thanks, Chronata. I'll give it a try.

priscilla

I have a deck of Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Cards publish by US Games, which I haven't used for years.
Then I just realize that I lost the LWB. Does anyone know the two speads printed in the LWB?
Thx

Amanda

Does anyone have any more updated information for this deck? I just got it in the trade forum, and I feel like I could really rock this thing if I get the hang of it. LOL

cardlady22

physical spreads - laying out the cards

priscilla said:
Does anyone know the two speads printed in the LWB?
I know this is older, but I thought I'd try to drop them here in the thread.

~ Short Reading ~
place the Lady or Man card (significator) in the center

8 cards are dealt in a square around the center card

Then another 8 are dealt in a larger square around those

The little white book delineates reading each square (set of 8 cards) with the innermost first; beginning in the top left corner and following clock-wise around.
Next would come the outer square.

~ Long Reading ~
remove Joker, Lady & Man; shuffle and deal

A: row of 6 cards
B: row of 8 cards
C: row of 8 cards
D: row of 3 cards + significator, then 4 more cards (total 8)
E: row of 8 cards
F: row of 8 cards
G: row of 5 cards (leaves 2 columns to the far right short)

The little white book emphasizes reading each square, beginning with the innermost as closest to the querant. It looks like they begin with a card to the left of the Significator and follow clock-wise around the circle/square: a set of 8 cards.
The next group of cards to consider begins with the card in the lowest left and follows around clockwise: a set of 16 cards.
There will be a third group, beginning again at the lowest left corner card and following clockwise: a set of 21 cards.
Last is the column of 5 remaining cards on the far right, read from top to bottom.

The numbers given are telling which specific card was laid there, not the order to deal them out. I may grab some different colored highlighters and mark each "square"
ETA: I apologize for the fuzziness of my cellphone quality, but the numbers don't really matter for the visual. Do the pics help?

Attachments

• GWshort.jpg
    GWshort.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,238
  • GWlong.jpg
    GWlong.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,333

strings of life

Amanda_04 said:
Does anyone have any more updated information for this deck? I just got it in the trade forum, and I feel like I could really rock this thing if I get the hang of it. LOL
:)

I love mine, but I don't use the method which follows Leormand style readings. I should try though.

Like Chronata, I just read them using 3 cards with an additional shadow card for fun:

1---2---3
- shadow (last card from the deck that represents a hidden element)

I think they are fun to read intuitively and that they work best with specific questions.

jackdaw*

I just received these yesterday as a surprise in the mail. As I told the person who sent them to me, they have such a lovely vintage feel to them. Makes me want to grub 'em up, tea staining and the whole nine yards, and read them by candle light with spangles and gauze and a wart on my nose :laugh:

Some good points. Cardlady's sample spreads sound intriguing, but I think to begin I will follow Chronata's advice and just use a few cards.

I couldn't see this question answered anywhere else, but if it's a repeat sorry. I know a lot of the same symbols are common to this deck and Lenormands. Are the interpretations similar? Or do they mean something else entirely in some cases?

cardlady22

There are 17 of the GW cards that don't seem to have a direct equivalent to the Lenormand symbols. I haven't spent any time on working out the correlation with playing card assignments or the actual interpretations.

52 shepherd J:spade:
51 lion 6:diamond:
49 eye 4:spade:
48 money safe 3:diamond:
47 bride K:spade:
46 railroad 2:club:
45 the order J:club:
44 broken glass 8:diamond:
43 lightning 6:club:
42 amor Q:spade:
41 roses 9:spade:
40 wine Q:club:
38 flames on the hearth 7:diamond:
37 rapiers A:spade:
36 cat 8:heart:
24 hand in hand K:heart:
10 pig 3:spade:

cardlady22

part 1

The 35 cards that show a matching symbol/illustration do not have the same playing card assignments.
http://www.serenapowers.com/lenormand.html

14 rider J:diamond:
33 clover 5:club:
16 ship 9:heart:
3 house 6:heart:
5 tree 3:club:
25 clouds 7:spade:
13 snake 8:club:
6 coffin 5:spade:
7 bouquet 10:heart:
8 scythe 10:diamond:
30 rod 10:spade: