Ancient Italian Tarot

Embla

Thank you for enlightening me, Le Fanu! It´s the Dotti then....I have the Spanish edition :)

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
No it isn't.. It is a reprint of the Dotti... the "Grand Dotti" as I think it is called. I have it.

It is a bit like the Meneghello Soprafino / Scarabeo Classical Tarot, but just not quite as accomplished in the draughtsmanship! The anatomy (to my eyes) is just not quite right in a few cards.

But it is a lovely historical deck and worth having...
:::Sravana's idly wondering what historical decks Le Fanu *doesn't* have:::

:*

Le Fanu

sravana said:
:::Sravana's idly wondering what historical decks Le Fanu *doesn't* have

Just the Dodal, sweetie. How much do you want for it? And of course Gregory has oodles more than me...

Can anyone come to my aid and back me up and say - yes! - the Ancient Tarot of Bologna has five weird dots down the side?

Ok, maybe it´s off topic... Back to the Ancient Italian. Just for the record, this thread made me get mine out after lunch and do a card for the day. Such a wonderful deck...

sapienza

It really is the most incredible deck. Every time I use mine I feel like I love it more. Actually Le Fanu, I think it's you I have to thank for originally encouraging me to go ahead and get it. I will be eternally grateful :)

HearthCricket

I started using my backup copy of the Ancient Italian today for readings. I love it. I needed something grounding and this deck is perfect. I love sifting through it and just admiring the artwork, too. The mellow, subtle colouring really suits me, right now, and makes me want to pull out other historical decks. But I love none as much as this one. (Though the Noblet is pretty close and today I met the Tarot Classic and am rather smitten with it!)

faunabay

Everyone going on and on about the Ancient Italian is REALLY making me want it NOW!! LOL

I love my Classical. Like HearthCricket does with the Ancient Italian I love to take out my Classical and just flip through the cards. It's so pretty and I love the little bits of humor in it too!

But it sounds like alot of you love the Ancient Italian the way I do my Classical. So it's making me really want to see how the AI and I get along. I still might like my Classical better but I'm curious enough to experiment!! })

teomat

Le Fanu said:
Can anyone come to my aid and back me up and say - yes! - the Ancient Tarot of Bologna has five weird dots down the side?
You mean the blue dots on either side of the card image? Yes, mine has this too! I assume it's Lo Scarabeo's doing, but I don't know why they did it - very odd I agree...

Debra

No blue dots on mine. It's got a 2000 copyright to Lo Scarabeo and a Llewellyn trademark on the box.

Le Fanu

Debra said:
No blue dots on mine. It's got a 2000 copyright to Lo Scarabeo and a Llewellyn trademark on the box.

Are you sure Debra? It would be very curious if you didn't. Why would they add them/take them out mid-production? Midway down the side between the original border and the Scarabeo "buffer" border? Five little blue dots...(mine also has Llewellyn on the box and c.2000)

I don't know about others, but I had the A.Italian way before the Classical Tarot (I call it that to distinguish it from the pink U.S Games Tarot Classic) and was seduced by the A.I first so although I love the Classical, it is almost as if my A.I is my first love. I love the size, the big looming images which fill the card (the Classical is squeezed into a narrow window and then has contemporary font down the side) and the fact that here is a deck which LoS simply reproduced pure and simple. With no adornments.

Also the circumstances in which I bought it and the fact that for years, isolated and away from home it was the only deck I had. I do actually think the artwork in the Classical is crisper than the A.I, but the A.I is just more homely all round . It is like comparing gourmet bread with home-made bread; the home made bread wins out by miles even though theoretically, technically it shouldn't!!

I wonder how it is for those who already have the Classical and then go to the Ancient Italian? The opposite of what I did. If people keep raving and raving about a deck like we're doing here, there's bound to be a bit of an anti-climax!