Intensive Deck Study Reboot!

zan_chan

Added you to the list, Nerys. Great deck, the Deviant Moon. Always mean to use mine more often. Those seem like some very realistic goals you set there - good luck, and remember that we're all here if you need us :thumbsup:

teomat

Gosh, I'm tempted. I'm SOOOOO tempted to try an IDS again. The enthusiasm, comraderie and satisfaction of learning a deck inside out is incredibly appealing...

But having tried it with god knows how many decks, I know this isn't something for me. I'm just not a monogamist :D. My interests, moods and desires flip at the drop of a hat, and I don't want to keep beating myself up over each failure. Tarot is an enjoyable hobby for me, and when it becomes a chore it doesn't make me happy anymore.

However, like I always do, I will lurk about this thread and silently applaud and envy all those who participate. Good luck everyone! :)

strings of life

OctoberGwen said:
I'm starting to wonder if my VicRom and I should be doing a PDR together instead. :(

I just can't get a handle on the study, the "academics" side of it, if you will. I don't think learning about the Victorian era is going to add to my depth of understanding of this deck, and other than reading Karen's awesome companion book a half dozen times, I'm not sure where else to go with this.

Maybe I should allow some time to get into 21 Ways, but I'm really not sure about it for these purposes, either.

Help?
I bet you didn't think you would find me here after we last spoke ;). I decided to sign-up (see previous page).

Le Fanu had some great suggestions. Bond with the the cards and think about what makes you connect with the cards: what's in the card, the scenery, the colors. I dislike the word study here, since the focus really is your connection with the cards. Regarding the 21 Ways book, you may want to try doing the exercises with a single card first, and then go back and alter the steps the next time. But go with what you feel.

The VR to me is what the BG is to you!

strings of life

Oh, and zan_chan, thanks for adding me to the sign-up list. I didn't see a post response from you, but see that I've been added to the main list.

zan_chan

aurarcana said:
Oh, and zan_chan, thanks for adding me to the sign-up list. I didn't see a post response from you, but see that I've been added to the main list.

Ah sorry! Meant to do. Welcome! :)

OctoberGwen

aurarcana said:
I bet you didn't think you would find me here after we last spoke ;). I decided to sign-up (see previous page).

I'm glad you're here. May we both learn and grow! *raises glass*

aurarcana said:
Le Fanu had some great suggestions. Bond with the the cards and think about what makes you connect with the cards: what's in the card, the scenery, the colors. I dislike the word study here, since the focus really is your connection with the cards.

You're (both) right. I'll try and relax and keep this in mind, and not get too wrapped up in definitions of what I "should" be doing.

aurarcana said:
Regarding the 21 Ways book, you may want to try doing the exercises with a single card first, and then go back and alter the steps the next time. But go with what you feel.

I'm having a like/hate with this book right now. I know that the way you described is the correct way to use it, but I want to work with more than one card in depth. What I'm really enjoying is my daily draws right now.

aurarcana said:
The VR to me is what the BG is to you!

I know. :heart: And I think it's really cool that we're IDS'ing opposite decks at the same time!

strings of life

OctoberGwen said:
I'm having a like/hate with this book right now. I know that the way you described is the correct way to use it, but I want to work with more than one card in depth. What I'm really enjoying is my daily draws right now.
I felt the same way about that book. I read the first few pages and thought that it seemed rather pointless [my apologies to those who are devout followers of her method]. I prefer journaling and seeing where my pen or keystrokes take me, or using free association.

I'm also going to spend less time on the board, restricting myself to this thread, the train pub thread, study group and reading exchanges, for the most part. After my trade threads are complete, I'm going to stay out of the Trading Forum for a while too :). More time offline and more time, I hope, with my cards.

I have found that the Bohemian Gothic cards are like individual stories and read as freely as the Victirian Romantic does for me. My previous IDS with the Bohmian Gothic was an attempt to use the deck as a shadow deck to the Victorian Romantic, and while I feel like it can be used that way, it's dreamy on it's own.

I used to wince at that strange demon-like character in the 7 of Wands, but now that card makes me laugh! It's so over the top and I love the various meanings and questions it presents: standing up for yourself and holding your own, but what if you have always had to do that due to your situation? What would you do if you were born a monster that everyone feared for no reason. Or, why do we fear the unknown in this situation? I could go on and on, but my thumbs are angry at me.

Flaxen

I'm taking the plunge. I'm going to IDS with the Thoth until 31st December.

I will use it as my main reading deck for myself and in most readings for other people (exceptions being the ISG here and on 31st October).

Haven't quite decided how to approach it yet. I might do 3 card pulls and study the particular attributions of those cards or I might try and go by numbers e.g. all the 4s, and study astrological, kabalah associations. Need to think this one through a little more.

But please add me to the list. :)

strings of life

OctoberGwen, but maybe I'll try the 21 Steps with the BG too. Maybe I can become a believer in the method. I may have been to harsh this morning. Pre-coffee you know :laugh:.

OctoberGwen

aurarcana said:
OctoberGwen, but maybe I'll try the 21 Steps with the BG too. Maybe I can become a believer in the method. I may have been to harsh this morning. Ore-coffee you know :laugh:.

Hahaha....yes, I really should give it a chance, I've only just done the exercise where you describe your card, for pete's sake! :laugh:

It'll be fun to see how it goes. And I can certainly journal card by card and so forth in any way I feel like it in addition.

pssst: I'm steering well clear of Trades, also. No more buying for me, for now! It's quite liberating. ;)