TOADies Anonymous.

lilylilac

Oh no, I literally just oredered a deck yesterday, and I was bouncing around the forum here, and someone was talking about a deck they couldn't stand, so I looked into it to see why it's so awful, and it's lovely!

What's worse, is they currently have a copy at my local tarot shop and I needed to go there anyways to get a clear quartz crystal for the full moon on friday.

Luckily for me, they don't open until noon, so I can't leave right now, and my friend's supposed to be coming over today, and she knows about my problem, so with any luck she'll talk me out of it.

Send help! :(

DDwarks

I'm seeing far too many Toadies over "What's the postman bringing" so I'm resurrecting this thread from it's 2 long weeks of hibernation!

I'll start.
I've bought one more deck since the last time I was on here with my WTF moment. It wasn't a impulse buy but a deck I've wanted for a long time. It came up for sale on the trading sub-forum and I bought it.
I was feeling pretty down at the time and I'll admit it's cheered me up big time :D

Apart from that....I've started using the decks I bought (and put away!) and I must say, I'm very happy with what I have!

I keep on going back to my Thoth though which is a BIG FAT message in itself BUT I'm happy with my collection and actually wondering Why Oh Why I thought I needed so many!

I'm realising I was responding to "a need" rather that "a want".
Using my decks made me realise I don't need anymore....I really have all the guidance I need and I just needed to actually USE the decks to find out!

There's a couple of Kickstarter decks I've backed that I still want (1 of them I don't need but hey! it's done now) and 1 other deck simply because it's missing in my collection. I'll buy it if and when it turns up on here. No rush!

Good luck everyone. My Toadies stopwatch has been reset :thumbsup:

CharlotteK

I'm seeing far too many Toadies over "What's the postman bringing" so I'm resurrecting this thread from it's 2 long weeks of hibernation!

I'll start.
I've bought one more deck since the last time I was on here with my WTF moment. It wasn't a impulse buy but a deck I've wanted for a long time. It came up for sale on the trading sub-forum and I bought it.
I was feeling pretty down at the time and I'll admit it's cheered me up big time :D

Apart from that....I've started using the decks I bought (and put away!) and I must say, I'm very happy with what I have!

I keep on going back to my Thoth though which is a BIG FAT message in itself BUT I'm happy with my collection and actually wondering Why Oh Why I thought I needed so many!

I'm realising I was responding to "a need" rather that "a want".
Using my decks made me realise I don't need anymore....I really have all the guidance I need and I just needed to actually USE the decks to find out!

There's a couple of Kickstarter decks I've backed that I still want (1 of them I don't need but hey! it's done now) and 1 other deck simply because it's missing in my collection. I'll buy it if and when it turns up on here. No rush!

Good luck everyone. My Toadies stopwatch has been reset :thumsbup:
Thanks for resurrecting this thread DDwarks :) The realisation that even if I do a different deck every week it will take me best part of 18 months to work through them all, and I may only do a couple of readings a week. That's a lot of decks not getting used very much at all. I've got one preorder and three kickstarters due over next few months and I don't need any of them! I can easily see myself moving from RWS style/clones and weird decks into a TdM completist mindset and think it would be ruinous to go there especially as I can't really read TdM at the moment. Lol.

My plan now is to sort my decks and put aside the decks I definitely don't like or feel completely meh about and they'll go in a 'get rid' pile. I will then pick my favourite one each of a bunch of categories: dark, fluffy, uplifting, sorrowful, comforting, challenging, unreadable art, TdM, RWS, and put them back in the drawer. Then I'll look at the rest and decide whether to keep or release. I suspect the vast majority will go back in the drawers and I might well look at the meh pile and start feeling the love again. But I'll feel better about having them all as it'll be a considered decision to show them some love.

And no more now until that love has been imparted! 😂😂

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Ebony

I have definitely been in an "over-acquisition" state lately. So far this year I have purchase 7 tarot decks, 9 oracle like decks, and 7 decks that are focused around empowerment, affirmations, or other things. I told myself I was done and then amazon had this one day only "BIGTHANKS" coupon code for 8.62 off an order of 50 or more, and that launched me into a purchase of the the last 2 tarot decks I just got in on Thursday. I just need to make the transition from shopper into user of the cards! To help me with this transition I made another purchase (horrible logic, right!) of a book that contains a bunch of tarot spreads. Hoping that will keep me busy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JylliM

I have ALMOST reached a state of equanimity, meaning that I find it very difficult to get excited about any new deck I see. Things are good as long as I stay away from Book Depository in about the first hour after waking. That seems to be my vulnerable time...The other day I ordered the Cat Tarot in the morning after being enabled at an AT meet. Just ten minutes ago I had the gold foil Visconti in my basket because I saw a pretty picture and it's currently a really good price. This after seeing it in real life more than once and not even liking it! Plus I have two other versions of the deck! Thank goodness I found my way to this thread. Thankyou all!

RavenLuna

I've bought one deck so far this year, but it was one I'd had on my wishlist for ages - the Margarete Petersen. I really want the Star Tarot and maybe Fountain Tarot this year, but I'd like to keep the number of decks coming into the house as low as possible. If I keep it down to just the Star Tarot, I'll be impressed with myself!

Coming on AT, or checking Wordery is downright dangerous. I have to keep talking myself out of purchases. I am enjoying what I've already got though, and the more I use them, the more I really know them, instead of relying on standard RWS meanings.

Tanga

I'm seeing far too many Toadies over "What's the postman bringing" so I'm resurrecting this thread from it's 2 long weeks of hibernation!...

Lol! I mostly manage to avoid that, and the 'Tarot Decks' thread like the plague.

But huh! - I bumped into a deck...
By the time postage is added it will likely cost £100...
Maybe I can resist it until the end of this year?...

Otherwise - decks coming my way next month - are belated Birthday presents! (January).
:angel:

willowy

I'm not doing bad this year,as so far only brought 3 tarot decks,I am bidding on one on ebay but its been on my wishlist for a couple of years at the very top but price as always been an issue,this deck is kind of up to fate lol as I can't afford to bid higher so if it goes up I'll have to hope it comes up again later and let it go for now.No oracle decks or books been brought so really I'm being quite saintly!Last year I think I had brought about 16 so far so much happier with myself.

Nemia

Oh dear TOADIES, I want to be one of you but I can't. Couldn't. From now on, I won't buy any new decks anymore. The break I had last year was just great.

I don't want to count the number of decks on their way to me... but when they're all here, I'll stop this madness.

I'll get to know my decks better, Tarot Kaizen is great, so is the Tarot Playbook, and the heap of decks who need some TLC is simply too high to justify any new purchases.

The first day of a month is always a good date. I'll stop buying. I can't afford it anyway.

And I remember well: once I just caved in to buy a teensy-tiny little mini deck, all dams broke and all the king's horses and all the king's wands and cups couldn't fix it again!

Eight more decks are on their way to me - then I'll have 81 and stop buying for at least - hm, I think nine months is a good and meaningful time.

Okay? Can I hold myself back until December 1st? We'll see...

euripides

I think you can forgive yourself for the Petersen, Ravenluna. That's a special deck.

It's funny, I gave a very sincere reply a while back on someone's 'cold turkey' thread, and I think made reference to our continual discontent and the evils of consumerism, yet do I take my own advice?

I need to keep nonessential purchases to a minimum, and that means no new decks. When I'm done with work for the day, I'm going to get all my decks out, and choose a couple to focus on. I still haven't found those Spanish TdM trump cards :( but some quality time with the Blake and the Tarot de Paris TdM will be well worthwhile.