Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Tarot in Movies

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Books & Media

Citizen

augursWell 
Citizen

In another thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread...threadid=20925

we discussed the movie "The Gift" which does not have tarot cards but the character uses a deck of psychic symbol cards.
Top   #11
Resident

TripleN 
Resident

Another movie with the Tarot is a 1970 biker movie called "Werewolves on Wheels", about a rough biker gang who have a run in with some kind of satan cult, and, you guessed it, get turned into werewolves. One of the main bikers was named "Tarot", and he had a deck of cards that were used several times in the movie. An interesting "biker, Hells Angels" kind of tarot, with Death riding on a harley-style chopper, and the Chariot a large cycle with a sidecar. Not too bad of a movie, either, but its worth seeing just to see a werewolve ride a motorcycle. The only famous name I seen in this movie was Barry Mcguire, who sang the late 60's anti-vietnam song, "Eve of Destruction". I thought it was interesting to see just a regular biker, one of the boys in the gang, dirty clothes, long hair, loud motorcycle, reading cards, instead of the same stereotypes we are used to seeing in movies.
Top   #12
Citizen

Flavio 
Citizen

Maybe this answer is not 100% into the topic but I think it can find a place among other movie references.

In the movie The Village, "those of we don't speak about" look like many creatures found in the dark Bosch Tarot, this reference enhanced my movie viewing experience adding an eerie feeling, if you have not seen the movie I recommend it.
Top   #13
Resident

Elektra 
Resident

Saw "Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her" last night - Calista Flockhart does a Celtic Cross spread for Glenn Close. Oversized deck, though I'm not sure which deck it was - looked like one of the RWS variations.

(This movie is also on the Tarot Totes website .
Top   #14
Resident

Lolith 
Resident

I don't know if this would count as being tied into it, but in Wes Craven's "People Under the Stairs" tarot plays a part in the very beginning. The main character, named Fool, is having his 13th birthday. His sister does a card reading for him, and that's the whole first scene of the movie. Throughout the movie, the reading is mentioned, as well as his nickname. I think it tries to tie it into the movie, but only has a little to do with the acutal storyline. This movie is a really cheesy horror movie, but I like it regardless and thought I'd mention it.
Top   #15
Resident

Raven Reed 
Resident

If I remember correctly, Tarot makes a brief appearance in the movie Tombstone.
Top   #16
Citizen

Athara 
Citizen

Just saw the beginning of the James Bond-film 'Live and let die'. A huge spread comes up. Didn't recognize the deck though.
Top   #17
Citizen

The 78th Fool 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athara
Just saw the beginning of the James Bond-film 'Live and let die'. A huge spread comes up. Didn't recognize the deck though.
It's Fergus Hall's Tarot of the Witches (US Games), although the commercial deck has unillustrated pip cards ( The film deck shows illustrated versions of the Six of Swords and the Seven of Wands ). Jane Seymour uses this for the bulk of the film although she also uses a Universal Books Rider Waite too. From time to time you see Tarot shop window displays and shop posters (The Voodoo Shop and the Hotel Gift Shop) - They are both Universal Books Rider Waite and Albano Waite.

Sad, I know but I discovered the Tarot through this film as a teenager!

Chris. xx
Top   #18
Citizen

The 78th Fool 
Citizen

Kate Winslet's character reads Tarot in 'Hideous Kinky'. She seems to have a hand - drawn majors deck based on the Rider Waite.

Chris. xx
Top   #19
Citizen

mercenary30 
Citizen

There is an interesting role for Tarot in the movie Exorcist the Beginning!!!
Top   #20

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.