Self-Readings Guidance

MDredhead

I find that if I really have a thorny problem, I will read and re-read for myself until it becomes absolutely muddled.

Yes, I confess, I am a self-reading addict.

Its not that I look for specific advice, its that I try to uncover the meaning of the guidance in a deep way. More cards/readings don't necessarily help.

So I wondered if anyone had some rules of thumb to help others like me. For example, I keep it simple (one card draw, three card spread) as much as I can when self-reading. I also try to impose limits on time between readings or not read for the same question over and over.

What are your tips for self-readings?

Barleywine

I generalize as much as possible. ("What will today be like?" "What do I need to know about this situation?") As I said in another thread, "Don't put too fine a point on it."

I look mainly for "heavy hitters." For example, if the Tower comes up I pay attention, because I've had it mean actual challenges in the past (it came up three days in a row even after thorough randomizing of the deck) and not just "background noise."

Speaking of background noise, expect a large percentage of daily draws to be just that. I find that they show tone more than substance.

Thoughtful

l will either pull a card in the morning as to what l need to know. Or pull 3 for a question l may have.
l find the spreads below are really good if you want to have a more in-depth reading, whether its for a spiritual or general reading.

SPIRITUAL
1. Message from the Divine
2. The intellectual effect
3. " spiritual effect
4. " emotional effect
5. " physical effort

NEED TO KNOW SPREAD
1.2.3. what you need to know
4. What you want
5. Challenge
6. Strength
7. Where it will lead

l do find these have served me very well, and l use them once a month, anymore than that would be over-egging and could cause some confusion.

JoJoCat

For self-readings, I ALWAYS ask the deck if they will read on the question. And if I get "no" cards, then I don't. It has to be definite YES cards for me to read for myself on it.

I don't bargain with them or push, though it took me a while to learn this lesson (my first oracle deck remains broken in spirit bc I did this). I know that not everyone will agree with me on this-- many believe that decks are just cards -- and that's fine. This is what I do, and my self-readings are pretty solid.

MDredhead

For self-readings, I ALWAYS ask the deck if they will read on the question. And if I get "no" cards, then I don't. It has to be definite YES cards for me to read for myself on it.

I don't bargain with them or push, though it took me a while to learn this lesson (my first oracle deck remains broken in spirit bc I did this). I know that not everyone will agree with me on this-- many believe that decks are just cards -- and that's fine. This is what I do, and my self-readings are pretty solid.

Very interesting. I only really have one deck that "works"-- I used to have tons and I sold or gifted them all. I inherited an old Rider Waite that was my grandmas and then my mom's and it tends to be right every time. I may have broken the others....

ana luisa

That is a VERY good technique ! thank you for sharing :) Would you mind telling us what spread you use for the YES/NO answers ?

JoJoCat

That is a VERY good technique ! thank you for sharing :) Would you mind telling us what spread you use for the YES/NO answers ?

Oh that's a great question! I don't do a separate spread for it. I shuffle and cut the deck in my hands and look at the cut card and the base card. Both have to be DEFINITE YES cards for me to read on it. So like if I get a neutral card like RWS two of wands or three of pents then I don't read on the Q. Does that make sense?

RufusJ

The more important the issue to me, the simpler I go. My yes/no ritual is simple-- upright is yes, reversed is no.
When collaborating on a book a few years ago with someone overseas, getting responses from him took a few days or even a week. Rather than badger him or his wife, I'd ask if everything was okay between us and then check my deck. The answer was always "yes". When I checked with him later, indeed everything was okay.
I did no preliminary set up or questioning-- I just walked over to where the cards were, asked the question and cut the deck. The cut card was the answer.

jerrissica

I generalize as much as possible. ("What will today be like?" "What do I need to know about this situation?") As I said in another thread, "Don't put too fine a point on it."

I look mainly for "heavy hitters." For example, if the Tower comes up I pay attention, because I've had it mean actual challenges in the past (it came up three days in a row even after thorough randomizing of the deck) and not just "background noise."

Speaking of background noise, expect a large percentage of daily draws to be just that. I find that they show tone more than substance.

I've never looked at it that way as most draws being "background noise" vs substance. Very interesting! This really stood out to me, thanks for the input!!!

tarot_quest

I have to confess that I often over read about a question. Like the OP, I am thinking that by doing different readings on the same topic, I will get more insight. But as Barleywine said, it is so true that readings start to show background noises, rather than answering your original question.

As Jojocat said, I sometimes ask my cards if I can have ''access'' to certain information, but I am not a disciplined student since 8 times out of 10, I will still read about the topic even if my deck clearly said no :rolleyes:

Sometimes, I find it comforting to over read on a topic, because I feel that I am ''talking'' about it to someone. I would not see myself telling the same problem to a friend 2-3 times a week, hence I sometimes over read on a topic. I also think that when we feel ''stuck'' on a problem, some people (like me) need reassurance. Well, I am still working on this behavior (i.e. over reading on some topics).