Mystic Dreamer Group?

Pandora MoonRaven

Hi!

I did some searches and didn't come up with anything. If there is not already a Mystic Dream Study Group I would love to have one! I am really finding some great things in this deck. :eek:)

Alan Ross

Although I'm already involved with two other study groups, I really like this deck and would enjoy contributing to a study group devoted to it. I love the questions Barbara Moore includes for each card in the companion book, and I think it would be fun to discuss those questions in a group.

Alan

Pandora MoonRaven

Hi Alan!

Yes I am excited to discuss the cards and the questions themselves. The one that troubled me...is on The Lovers. The write up makes me feel like something is coming between the lovers and the questions is why or how did the sword get between the lovers. However when I look at the card the couple feel blissful to me and the Sword is pointing down and is inside of a cup and glowing. In the Wiccan religion we put the sword/dagger into a cup to signify the uniting of the male/female..god/goddess...it is a union. So to me I feel the sword is glowing with sexual energy and the uniting of male and female energies. I am sure it means all sorts of different things to different people but that was the one card that really struck me. Then again it is my "soul card" so I tend to look closely at it!

Alan Ross

This card seems oriented toward Judeo-Christian symbolism, similar to the Rider Waite, rather than Wiccan symbolism, so I'm pretty sure that the particular symbolism you perceive is unintended by the deck's creator. Which doesn't mean it isn't valid.

Since the symbolism you find in this card is rooted in your own personal experience and belief system, I believe that gives this card a special significance above and beyond the base significance provided in the book. I feel that discovering your own personal symbology in a deck is an important part of the process of making the deck truly yours and unique to you.

I'm actually intrigued by what Barbara Moore has to say about this card. It seems like this card merges the RWS Lovers, with its emphasis on union, with the older Marseille tradition, with its emphasis on choice, but with a Jungian twist. This would be a good card to start the study group with. However, it would be nice to hear from some more members willing to contribute to this group.

Alan

afrosaxon

I just got my deck yesterday and I'm definitely interested in a study group! I'm going to do an IDS (Intensive Deck Study) with the Mystic Dreamer for the next month or so.

I did a sample reading for myself and while I did get the Lovers card :D, it was the 10 of Pentacles that was very interesting. WHO (or what) is the woman in the white? Is she a witch who was responsible for bringing the couple together? Is she a guardian? She's looking into the distance...is she seeing what is to come?

I do need to go buy a magnifying glass...those images are rather small. *sigh*

T.

my3dogs

I would also be interested in a study group for this deck as I just received it. The images are beautiful and the companion book is full of information. I love the fact that the writer encourages you to look intuitively at each and every card, as well as giving you questions to focus on when looking at each card. This is a deck I will thoroughly enjoy exploring!

Quester

I would like working with a study group on this deck. I have a problem completing a study, but this deck has a lot to say and I would love discussing it with others!
I also need to use a magnifing glass ...so it will help to find out what others are seeing that I haven't picked up on. :)

Pandora MoonRaven

Well it looks like we should launch a study group!

Azurylipfe

I just found this tread to my suprise while i was google after my deck :bl:
And for me its interesting to see, how other people interpretate the symbols and how they feel connected to them.

I already saw one comment on the lovers card:)
The sword down in the cup is pure coincidence:) Although i could totally understand why she came to that conclusion, it was not something i had had in mind intensionally to addapt into the wiccantradition . :)

The loverscard was and is more an other point of view then the Adam and Eve story that is more common to be used in other RW related decks , lovercards( at my point of view and feeling) and something that i totally can't relate to because to me in the RW deck, it reminde me to much of the bible story of them, and the irritation that a women is minor to a men . I wanted them more connected , more equal to eachother, more protecting, thats why the couple is connected in some kind of oval( if you look closer:) with the same symbolisme as a ring would give ) and the sword and cup are indeed a symbol for feminine and male but more that they are connected but also that they have to communicate if they want to stay together. A women is emotion ( cup) a men isn't and can easily mistunderstand what a women wants to say and the other way around. With the result that words said in heated moments can hurt to much to be forgiven and forgetten:
The sword is also a symbol that they need to let eachother free in some ways, give eachother some freedom instead of sticking together like glue and that way lose their own identity .
But thats my own interpretation of those symbols and why i wanted them to be included. And like somebody also said, the deck is finding your own symbolology in it, to connect with the symbols and what they mean for you. So in a way make it more personal for you to use, to connect in the best possible way to get the best results when you read them:)

And i'm sorry the cards are so small to see all the details in full intension. So If I can bring more light to them, i sure will:) ( for as far I can explain them myself well in englisch )