How long before you broke the seal....

nisaba

Scion said:
In the US a "dog-n-pony show" is just an idiomatic expression referring to the expected bang-for-buck entertainment value that the average consumer expects to experience before they feel justified in parting with their dollars.
<grin> It sounds far more debauched than that to an Australian ear, but I was far too much of a lady to say anything. I was busy averting my eyes and clutching a lace handkerchief soaked in perfume to my nose.

Major Tom

Scion said:
In the US a "dog-n-pony show" is just an idiomatic expression referring to the expected bang-for-buck entertainment value that the average consumer expects to experience before they feel justified in parting with their dollars.

:laugh:

nisaba said:
It sounds far more debauched than that to an Australian ear

:laugh: It is more debauched than that to an American ear too. Ask anyone from San Diego about going to see a dog-n-pony show just over the border in Tijuana.

Back to topic - I did my first readings for pay within three months of learning back in 1982. I didn't call myself professional until 20 years later.

Baroli

We were having this discussion out in San Fran at one of the "after hours bar lectures" at BATS. Technically, and I do mean this technically, the minute you take money for a reading you have crossed the bridge to professionalism. That said, do I think that is the ONLY thing that makes a person professional? Oh hell no, how you perceive yourself and how the client perceives you is important as well. I have been reading for 40 years now. Thirty of those I have taken money for, I would say of the 30 years, 25 of them have been professional readings, doing gigs, parties, private readings, etc.

*Baroli waves at Scion and Major Tom and shouts out a howdy to both. :D

214red

am enjoying the responses, its interesting to know some people take payment before they say they are professional.
saying that i do hobbies and i might take payment for what i create but i wouldnt call myself a professional in that craft.

Kat- i agree that sometimes you want to keep things a hobbie rather then make it a job, you enjoy hobbies and do them for fun, a job you do because you have to (even though i love mine).

i am saddened to see so much snobbery in tarot, but i guess it happens in everything

I would say professional for tarot, but not in my mediumship yet, if i do non-tarot readings i like the fact if i feel i didnt give a good enough reading (by my own benchmark) i dont take payment. I like the fact i dont have any pressure in non-tarot readings, it helps me relax and get into the right frame of mind which i dont need for tarot.

thorhammer

214red said:
am enjoying the responses, its interesting to know some people take payment before they say they are professional.
saying that i do hobbies and i might take payment for what i create but i wouldnt call myself a professional in that craft.
Exactly! :) In a way, when you do that it frees you to create more - it frees space, it clears the decks, it helps you let go of something you cherish so you can move on to bigger and better things. With readings, I think reading for others, for money or otherwise, helps to get energy moving through one's life so that more improvement can happen than otherwise might have.
214red said:
i am saddened to see so much snobbery in tarot, but i guess it happens in everything
What snobbery do you mean? Not trying to be confrontational, just curious :)

\m/ Kat

franniee

thorhammer said:
I read Tarot for me. Occasionally, I read for others; occasionally, I read for someone who pays me to. In all cases, I give my all and do great readings, but it is always about me. Not the reading, obviously; but I do it because I want to, and that makes it about me.

I do it because I want to too. I love tarot and I love reading and I went pro and found venues to read in because I wanted to read all sorts of people with all sorts of topics etc. Most of the time it is so much fun! Of course there are those days when the clients just drain you but for the most part I love it. It absolutely fascinates me! The more I read the more it engages me and that in and of itself is amazing. there are very few things I do that do that. :heart:

I feel uncomfortable with the pro label too but I don't like labels in general and I don't think one thing defines me. :)

In answer to the above question I did it much like Scion. I read and read and read and then people paid me - their idea not mine - then people called me and asked for readings..... then I decided I wanted to read more and more then one of my friends booked me for a party. I started to do parties and they were a blast! and I wanted more.... that's how it worked for me.

214red

thorhammer said:
Exactly! :) In a way, when you do that it frees you to create more - it frees space, it clears the decks, it helps you let go of something you cherish so you can move on to bigger and better things. With readings, I think reading for others, for money or otherwise, helps to get energy moving through one's life so that more improvement can happen than otherwise might have.What snobbery do you mean? Not trying to be confrontational, just curious :)

\m/ Kat

i think the snobbery i see is the psychic readers that look down on other readers, the mediums that sneer at psychics, the physical mediums who laugh at the mental mediums etc

yes i hold my hand up and say that originally when i started i thought psychic readings were the holy grail, but i realise i was very very wrong, there is a place for everyone.

i heard some of teachers sneer at mental mediums, and they are passing this down to people, its such a shame. same with some tarot people, especially people who have been doing this for yonks, some seem to look down on others (am not pointing at anyone just a general comment).

yesterday i was saddened by some comments i heard, i was disappointed that people on such a spiritual path can let their ego lead so much

214red

franniee said:
I feel uncomfortable with the pro label too but I don't like labels in general and I don't think one thing defines me. :)

i love this sentiment as i hate labels too:)

Baroli

214red said:
i think the snobbery i see is the psychic readers that look down on other readers, the mediums that sneer at psychics, the physical mediums who laugh at the mental mediums etc

yes i hold my hand up and say that originally when i started i thought psychic readings were the holy grail, but i realise i was very very wrong, there is a place for everyone.

i heard some of teachers sneer at mental mediums, and they are passing this down to people, its such a shame. same with some tarot people, especially people who have been doing this for yonks, some seem to look down on others (am not pointing at anyone just a general comment).

yesterday i was saddened by some comments i heard, i was disappointed that people on such a spiritual path can let their ego lead so much

Well,...not for nothing, but you have snobbery in all types of professions from teaching to well, bricklaying for example. You're right I think, it is the ego that leads rather than gets out of the way.

Now I have a question,.... "what's doing it for yonks"???