Disrespect of Cards

thinbuddha

nisaba said:
I've revisited the thread with my own version, that I've been playing since the 1970s, so it's pretty well honed as a great game.

OT:

Damn..... I was pretty sure that I was alone. I'm not sure if I'm excited or disappointed to find that someone else plays this too.... But I am truly (and naively) disappointed to learn that I didn't invent this.

Glitterbird

I grew up very poor so I had to keep extremely good care of my few possesions, and well, old habits die hard I suppose. But the only reason I'm so careful is because I may not get another, not because the cards will curse me. I leave that to the Ouija boards:rolleyes:

MareSaturni

I think that doesn't treating your deck like the holy grail does not equate to treating it badly.

Like Glitterbird said, i treat my decks well because if damage one of them real badly i may never get the chance of getting another copy, because most of my decks come from abroad. But not because i think they'll be hurt if i shuffle them the wrong way.

I think deck are meant to be used and abuse when they are doing their purpose - reading, being studied, helping people etc. Worn decks feel good, like they have a story to tell, like old companions with some battle scars.

But there's a limit. Letting your decks be damaged just because you can't care less... it's a matter of view. Some people can easily get new decks... other people can't. I agree that one shouldn't treat his tools of trade badly. Beds get stained with blood in hospitals, but you don't see doctors and nurses kicking the beds just because they can, or because there are many beds there. Every bed counts. Every deck counts. It should get worn because it's being used and enjoyed, not because it's usually left around to get damaged.

Aerin

I used to get very sad when the children in my class damaged teaching tools and toys (much of it mine), especially when the response was "at home daddy just gets me another one". (Well NOT here sunshine!!!!! You do without.)

I treat my decks well, but only as I would anything I own. By "well" I mean putting them away carefullly, not riffle shuffling, not being rough etc. I don't do any rituals.

AJ

thinbuddha said:
I also play solitaire with my tarot cards (with modified rules that work wonderfully). They never invade my dreams to voice complaints.

?
I've been doing this since the first day with my first deck. It's all I knew how to do with cards, and it made it feel like I hadn't spent my money foolishly :)

Aulruna

I take care of my decks because I take care of everything as a general rule. I'm untidy, but not a slob.

Sometimes I speak of the personalities of a deck, but this is rather tongue-in-cheek - I don't perceive then as independently, sentient entities.

They are tools. So no, I never talk to them or thank them or believe they chose to work with me.

I do thank the Divine for gifting me insights and for instilling me with the need to evolve.

Morwenna

I do sometimes riffle-shuffle, but loosely, if you know what I mean. Otherwise I try to take reasonably good care of my cards. I too don't want the expense of replacing a deck (when I can't even justify getting a badly-wanted new deck). And tools are meant to be used, so caring for them extends their usefulness. That said, I think I'd miss the artwork more than I'd miss the tool! :D

Mine live in their original boxes, except for the ones whose boxes have disintegrated over the years (they're wrapped up instead). Most are kept in cardboard boxes together, standing upright (the cards fare a lot better than the boxes, even so); the favorites are kept in a tote bag with other divinatory tools, and they probably have a rougher time than the others because they're often rather jumbled. But most of those are wrapped anyway. I'm careful to keep them away from the cats, from food & drink, etc. (though at renfairs I do eat and drink at the table, but I keep comestibles on a separate table from the cards!), and when faced with an unknown surface (especially a rough one) I'll put down a cloth. So in that way I try to keep potential damage down.

But the most "cleansing" they ever get is a good shuffling, and if there's a circle I'm attending, I bring the bag and put it under the altar to soak up some good energy. That's about it.

Taamar

I love my decks and I respect them very much. They exist to be used, so I use them. I'd rather have them look 'well loved' than pristine. Same way I use my grandmothers china at every meal and I bake with imported chocolate and I think that people who won't get a truck dirty are silly. I show respect with familiarity, as I would with a friend, rather than formality, as I would with a superior.

My decks are like a puppy who wants to play... should I keep my puppy indoors because he just had a bath or let him get out and roll?

Nytebugg

My decks aren't abused but some might say they don't get respect. they sit on a shelf when not being that times chosen one either in their boxes and a few in bags and one even has a wooden box. One lives in a bag because my dog ate the original paper box. Any deck i am currently using lives loose on my desk. Only my bohemian gothic gets any real different treatment. i tend to reorder it if I am reading elsewhere (in other words not at home) because I want to make sure all the cards are there. It rarely leaves home.
i detest reading clothes mainly because I can't shuffle on them. So I take wet ones with me in my purse and clean tables. i have also been known to ask for a table to be cleaned at starbucks for me. Most of my cards have a nice curve to them from shuffling. i am a rough shuffler.
at the end of the day they are a tool to me. i don't thank them or anything. I don't thank my sewing machine either.

Ana's Song

I think by many people's definition, I must mistreat my cards. They live in their original box, I've only ever cleansed them once - when I first got them, using some white sage that was leftover after smudging my room. For a few years I left them to gather dust on a bookshelf... I shuffle using the the 'scramble' method, which basically means spreading the deck out (either face up or down) on the floor/bed and mixing em all up! I then do a secondary shuffle, card player style (no riffling as my hands are too little for big cards), and lay out my spread on the floor/bed/couch - no silk cloth underneath. But I never let water, food, etc. near them where they could stain the cards, and I do pack them away in their box once I'm done with them.