The Love Spell Box

Logiatrix

It is a small, soft-backed book and deck of 30 cards in a flatish red box with hearts on the lid.
You might have seen this little package amongst the tarots at your favorite bookstore....
So did I, and as it was bargain priced, I finally snapped it up!
No regrets, either.
The cards are bright and colorful, with well-executed symbolism.
The artist, Jacqueline Mair, also offered her talent to the "Destiny Tarot."
Here's a look at the cards of "The Love Spell Box":

http://www.jacquelinemair.co.uk/samples/love_spell_cards.htm

The paperback book is divided into sections, offering card spreads and spells, along with the expected card meanings and "getting started" stuff.
The book's writer, Gillian Kemp, keeps the system novice-friendly, while not patronizing.
The writing voice is laid back and accessible, with clear card meanings and a spell suggestion for each of the 30 cards.
I was looking for an oracle or tarot especially themed for love/romance questions, which is why I even glanced at this set.
I have enjoyed it for a couple of weeks now, and the readings have been spot-on.
If you know tarot, this system will be no problem to learn.
I am interested to hear from anyone else who has tried this deck.
I'll keep you posted if it's a keeper, too, LOL.
:)

hedgecub

The deck seems based on the tarot, but what did they eliminate to get just 30 cards? It seems to contain the courts, but that's only 16 cards..

lunakasha

hedgecub said:
The deck seems based on the tarot, but what did they eliminate to get just 30 cards? It seems to contain the courts, but that's only 16 cards..

I have owned this set for quite awhile now....I actually bought it before getting my first tarot deck....and it is a sweet little set, I must admit! :) I have never tried using it for any "serious" readings, but I did enjoy some of the spreads in the book...this would make an excellent gift for a teenaged girl or, really, anyone who is interested in asking questions about love and romance!!!

To hedgecub: I don't believe that this deck is based on the tarot, or if it is, it would be a very loose interpretation! It does include court cards as well as the Moon, Sun and Stars...but other than that....it is pretty unique in both its structure and purpose.

I would recommend this set to anyone who is interested in a light-hearted, non-tarot divination tool that provides a different slant on relationship readings.....FUN cards!!! :D

:) Luna

lunakasha

hedgecub said:

I thought it might be helpful to explain the structure of these cards, to give everyone an idea of what each of the 30 cards represents.

There are 30 cards, with 28 of them divided into four suits of 7 cards. Each suit of 7 cards contains a King, Queen, Knight and Lady, as well as a Moon, Sun and Stars card. In addition, there is a Cupid card and a Venus card....God and Goddess of Love!!!

(From The Love Spell Book by Gillian Kemp):

The four suits are as follows:

CHERUBS: The suit of True Love: promises the ecstasy of a happy love life...

DOVES: The suit of Family Love: the progress of love and family influences on the relationship...

ROSES: The suit of Unrequited Love: unreciprocated love...living in a fantasy world where love is not returned...

SWORDS: The suit of Forbidden Love: cruel or doomed love, moments of happiness outweighed by despair...

The book includes detailed meanings for each of these cards, and what they may represent in a particular reading. There is at least one spread that asks the querent to choose particular court cards as significators for both themselves and the love interest in question. The Moon, Sun and Stars cards represent feelings or attitudes about love, as well as hidden forces which are influencing the relationship, rather than actual people.

The Venus and Cupid cards are considered the *wild* cards in the deck....if either one appears in a spread, this is a very positive indication that the outcome of love is favorable....

Hope this information is helpful.....

:) Luna

BelovedOphelia

I recently ordered this deck on Amazon at a bargain price. I love Gillian Kemp's Good Witch Bad Witch deck and her other books so much. It should be in the mail within a couple days. I can't wait! :).