Professional Tarot Certification?

catlin

I was member of the "1. Deutsche Tarotverband e. V." (the one founded by Hajo Banzhaf) and was pestered to take the exam for a very large amount of money.

I refused because I don't see the need in taking an exam for something I am into more than 22 years (which is much longer than most of the Banzhaf examination board). It really put me off.

Go check out the online tarot course at Barnes & Noble by Joan Bunning.

Sulis

TABI - Tarot Association of the British Isles run a free on-line course with mentor support based on Joan Bunnings Learn the Tarot course.

The endorsement programme they run is for folk who are already readers but want to become one of TABIs free readers.
It isn't certification, it just means that you've done at least 25 free readings for them and are a competent reader.

Take a look at their website http://www.tabi.org.uk/

Love Sulis xx

tmgrl2

Sulis said:
TABI - Tarot Association of the British Isles run a free on-line course with mentor support based on Joan Bunnings Learn the Tarot course.

The endorsement programme they run is for folk who are already readers but want to become one of TABIs free readers.
It isn't certification, it just means that you've done at least 25 free readings for them and are a competent reader.

Take a look at their website http://www.tabi.org.uk/

Love Sulis xx

Thanks, Sulis! Actually, the online Joan Bunning course was my first connection to the Tarot.

Mary Greer's Tarot for YourSelf was also a wonderful way to explore the Tarot.

terri

Fulgour

I want to be a TABI boy too, but...

Sulis said:
TABI... The endorsement programme they run is for folk who are already readers but want to become one of TABIs free readers. It isn't certification, it just means that you've done at least 25 free readings for them and are a competent reader.
To join TABI costs:
UK Membership £20 per annum
International Membership £22.50 per annum

:( and you must be a Member to be "endorsed" by them.

Sophie

tmgrl2 said:
Cheeky Tarot monkeys...yes!! As you can see from the responses, we have many of those, although I believe Helvetica's post takes the banana!
Hey, I'm a peanuts kind of monkey! :D

Seriously though (yes, seriousness does afflict me from time to time) - as others have said, Joan Bunning runs a great site called Learn Tarot. I hear her course is good too, I don't know. TABI sounds to me like a cat, but cats are psychic, so it must be OK (£22.50 is about $36, Fulgour).

I learnt in my own time and space, studying the cards and doing LOTS of readings - for myself, family, friends, friends of friends, colleagues, anybody who asked, and also for Marilyn Monroe (she never asked, so I had to go ahead anyway), King Solomon, OJ Simpson, Anthony and Cleopatra, the Battle of Waterloo (what would have given Napoleon the advantage?), the latest Iraq War, the Great Wall of China, what Elizabeth Bennet's and Darcy's marriage would be like, etc. etc.

I'm not very good on courses, so I made up my own as I went along - out of love and passion for tarot. I used books as well - Tarot for Yourself, already mentioned, and 78 Degrees of Wisdom, to which I added others much later. But we all learn in our own way. I'm still learning after 9 years, and no doubt will for many years to come.

This forum is a great teacher.

Anyway - this monkey wishes you luck on your journey, and I hope you find a good tarot course that suits you :)

Fulgour

The best way I know to learn about Reading is to do it.

Honesty and Sincerity make every reading a rewarding
experience~and learning about yourself is as much fun
as discovering more and always more about the Tarot.
When it's just you and the cards, th' be magic i' th' air.

And I'd simply love ;) for TABI to invite me as a guest!

ribbitcat

Dearest Fulgour :)

Why should you have for free what the rest of us have to pay for ?? You can come be a TABI boy, and join in the frolics that we at TABI have ..and our real life social events, the many Yahoo lists we run, the internet chats we hold, the workshops and conferences we organize, the heavy discounts on decks and other "New Age" items, offer readings through the free reading service to get practice...etcetc you get the idea, surely I have no need to continue with my paean ;-)

Come and play with *this* TABI-cat LOL

ribbitcat

Queeny :)

Come take a gander, I'll PM you the Yahoo group that is open to non-members, see what you think :) We're a friendly bunch ....

Also, you have to bear in mind that most of the vocal Aeclecticians are anti-certification and would also burn tarot books, relying on mere intuition and disregarding the creators'/artists' stated opinions on their decks .... ;-)

Sophie

ribbit Queeny Tabi cat -

I'm not Fulgour, but I too have wondered about TABI. But I just don't get why I should fork out more money because I'm abroad - especially if I can't come to all the fun socials and workshops! It seems to me international members should be charged less, not more, than UK members. Of course the extra two and a half quid is not going to crash my credit rating, but it's the principle. I would have to pay more for less. Are you able to report that back to your fellow Tabi-cats?

Because otherwise, I'd love to. And with Easyjet, it would even be worth my while making some of the socials and workshops ;)

oh, and I would never burn a tarot book! The very idea! (Helvetica fans herself). I would never even burn a book! Not even Mein Kampf! Not even the memoirs of Victoria Beckham!

ribbitcat

Hi there Helvetica :)

We *do* have a member in your neck of the woods, Geneva to be exact - and she does fly in for our bigger events :) Praps you might car pool ? ;-)

And certainly you can question the price differential - I believe it's something to do with postage, though I'm not sure ...will PM you the relevant addy when I find it, OK ?

ribbit

Lillie

ribbitcat said:
Also, you have to bear in mind that most of the vocal Aeclecticians are anti-certification and would also burn tarot books, relying on mere intuition and disregarding the creators'/artists' stated opinions on their decks .... ;-)

I don't think that's true...

I have been here a little while, and from my observations of most of the people here I think very few would burn books.
And relying on intuition (mere or otherwise) does not necessarily disregard the creators/artists stated opinions.
Unless those opinions are that we should all quote the book meaning and only the book meaning for each particular deck (and each particular book).

As for certification.
Well, I can only speak for myself on this, But why should I pay out good money so someone can tell me I can do what I am already doing?

I am sure Tabi is a great place, full of great people.
I am sure that their program of learning has helped many people learn tarot and practice and perfect their skills.
I am sure that the charges that Tabi have are totally just and cover the expenditure of their courses.

I'm not knocking Tabi. I'm not knocking certification.
I just think that the above statement is an unfair and untrue generalisation.

I don't know if I am included under the heading of vocal. I talk, so maybe, but the above statement does not, at all, discribe my view point.

But the little ;-) means I shouldn't take it seriously.

Maybe I can say anything and just put ;-) and I can get away with everything?
You all have to laugh, and no one is allowed to take offence.

maybe ;-) makes it all OK.

Maybe I'm in a funny mood.
Maybe I should put my head in a bucket.

I don't know.