Professional Tarot Certification?

Netzach

gregory said:
if tabi readers automatically asked for feedback (which woould not need to be made public) it would give them pointers on where to improve in ways which a mentor might not spot.

I was asked for feedback. The reason I didn't express my concern about the quality of the reading was because, as far as I knew, this could have been an endorsed reader and this could have been the standard that was acceptable to TABI.

This is why I think it would be helpful to be asked to send feedback to the student's mentor rather than directly to the student, since people would feel better about offering constructive criticism. As you point out, people give feedback on Ebay - but it goes to Ebay itself and not directly to the individual who is being "assessed".

Netzach

ribbitcat said:
from what I have seen, the rudest, nastiest, most personal "feedback" comes from people who claim that they themselves are tarot readers ...

This is my point exactly. There is a difference between feedback and personal criticism. If I were to tell an endorsed reader that I thought his/her reading was of poor quality, I would feel that it was personal criticism, which is why I wouldn't want to do it. If, however, I knew that the reader was a student and I could make my concerns known to the mentor who could gently help the student to overcome the problems, that's a different matter altogether.

As far as the reading circles on AT are concerned, yes I do give critical feedback where I consider it to be appropriate. Only recently I told one (very new) reader that his/her grammar and spelling plus the way in which he/she presented the reading needed to be improved. However, this reader was also giving me feedback on my reading for him/her. It was a two way system so that, in effect, we were each acting as mentor for the other. This is quite different, I feel, from giving critical feedback to someone who is giving a reading as a service, without any interaction.

agedog1

My TABI reading

Last week I receive my free reading from a TABI. The reader ask that I respond with my comments (I have not done this as yet). What the reader said to me and the way he/she said it was as positive (considering the cards; they were harsh to say the least) and caring and had it been one of my students doing the reading he/she would have received a grade of B+ or A-.

In constructing my reply I must consider the number of cards the reader chose. She chose only two cards for the main reading and a final card for guidance. Here is the problem with constructive feedback - I would not suggest to my students they do a reading with any less than 3 cards (with a fourth as the outcome - so what to I tell my reader.

As you can see from my statements I'm in a bind here. Do I simply tell her reading was informative? Do I ask why she only used 2 cards for the base? Do I give her lessons in Modifiers and Principles?

If someone would care to respond it would assist me in responding to my reader.

Thank you all most kindly

Sulis

agedog1 said:
In constructing my reply I must consider the number of cards the reader chose. She chose only two cards for the main reading and a final card for guidance. Here is the problem with constructive feedback - I would not suggest to my students they do a reading with any less than 3 cards (with a fourth as the outcome - so what to I tell my reader.

As you can see from my statements I'm in a bind here. Do I simply tell her reading was informative? Do I ask why she only used 2 cards for the base? Do I give her lessons in Modifiers and Principles?

I think you should ask yourself - did those 2 cards answer my question? If the answer is 'yes' then 2 cards were enough.

Remember that the readings from TABI are free - the readers give their time voluntarily. Sometimes we don't have time to do more than a single card reading and I think that if one card answers the question then there's nothing wrong with it.

Who's to say that more cards equals a better reading? I've had many good single card readings over the years.

Sulis xx

ribbitcat

Hi Agedog -

agedog1 said:

It says somewhere on the TABI website that the free reading will be from 1 to 3 cards only. This is the same as the FRN and FTN. Also, our readers are encouraged to avoid PPF spreads, and those positions for a definite outcome - self-fulfilling prophecies, fate, etc. removes responsibility ....

You can do any or all of these, if you choose - although you now know the answer to question 2 :) And instead of giving lessons in modifiers and principles, maybe make it a *suggestion* .... :)

ribbit

gregory

agedog1 said:
If you want to give lessons you should join tabi as a teacher (if that is something they offer to a new member. If not, go somewhere where that is your function.) If you are soliciting a reading, especially a free one, it isn't up to you to "teach", only to feed back.

And when I started out here under one of our senior and most respected (at least by me !) mods, I was advised to start with single cards. It seems to have worked as a method.

Alta

gregory said:
If you want to give lessons you should join tabi as a teacher (if that is something they offer to a new member. If not, go somewhere where that is your function.)
I believe that agedog1 is in fact a teacher of tarot, among other things.

gregory

I realise that, and I'm sure she is excellent at it - but being a teacher doesn't mean one has the automatic right to teach in forums where one is not a teacher - if you see what I mean. That was why I suggested enrolling as a teacher in tabi. As a trained music teacher I would never "teach" (in the sense of offer unsolicited advice to) someone else's student unless their own teacher asked me to. It's contrary to professional ethics. It is even considered a bit dodgy taking on a student who has left another teacher without the courtesy of contacting the other teacher first to explain what has happened.

No offence intended.

tmgrl2

I believe that agedog1 could give feedback re: her feelings about a "short draw" for a reading without being offensive...perhaps she expected more and had expectations for a "full" reading that consisted of more than two or three cards.

I agree with gregory, though, one card, two card readings...can be quite powerful. When I have a particular purpose in mind, even a two card reading can be quite lengthy....In fact I just did a two-card Advice for the Week for agedog1 in our Advice thread.

One, two or three cards can offer a solid answer depending upon the purpose of the reading. If I go to a reader for a half hour or one hour reading, certainly I would be surprised to see only two or three cards out for the whole time or for the whole reading.

Perhaps it was expectation vs. actual process.....just thinking out loud.

terri

Moongold

It is interesting that we do accept the notion of ethics and good practice in so many aspects of our lives other than Tarot. Of course we acknowledge that having both things "certified" in reality doesn't mean that we necessarily get the best product or outcome ~ but they are guides to choice.

And it doesn't mean that people who are not "certified" don't do a good job. I'm not certified but I try to do the best I can for the querent when I read. I don't take money for readings but I do the best I possibly can, in terms of preparation, content and presentation. I know others in the same situation do as well.

I don't believe that people need to be certified but for many newcomers to Tarot certification or registration with a particular association may be a guide to choice, often the only guide if people don't know anyone else. I wanted a good reader three weeks ago and, not having many contacts, the first place I went for information was the local Tarot Guild. I was not disappointed.

Sometimes I wonder whether those so actively critical of certification are not being a little over reactive. I personally don't think Tarot will ever get to the stage of being regulated in the way some other professions are (of necessity).

Is this issue worth the strongly negative feelings it seems to evoke whenever it is discussed? Not my place to judge, now, but I wonder. For some reason the feelings seem to go beyond the boundaries of mere debate, and I do wonder why it matters so much. Surely there is room for people who take either approach - certification or non-certification?

To use the awful language and concepts of today in this *free* society, the market will find its own level, depending on how good people are and how well they promote themselves and their particular art.