How is 10 Swords different from death?

chowdmouse

The ten of swords has always brought an immense feeling of defeat for me. Defeat brought on by exterior forces (he did not exactly stab himself in the back, after all).

But it has not been one of conspiracy and a fear of people out to get you. That kind of paranoia rarely gets anywhere positive, and usually is not true. Our minds are biologically predisposed to see conspiracy theories and all kinds of paranoia-driven fears that just are not true. (here is one good article out there that discusses why we are so predisposed to ignore reality in favor of a juicy conspiracy theory, especially when it agrees with a preexisting bias we hold: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...1107/why-the-human-brain-is-designed-distrust)

I usually interpret the 10 of swords as an opportunity to see how feelings of defeat affect our behavior. In a bad job or relationship, do we simply feel overwhelmingly defeated, and there is nothing to look forward to? Can't climb out of the pit we are in because we feel so completely defeated? Don't know how to move past, because it does feel like the end?

Ace

Ten of Swords is a new beginning. Death is a transformation..a complete change.

That is a VERY GOOD distinction, Ruby Jewel! I like that explanation the best.

barb

A michaels

the differance

ooh that is a very good question ive never really looked into that before,
I usually see 10 of swords as an indication that something isn't all it seems or someone isn't trustworthy, betrayal.
perhaps not seeing the truth in a situation, denial and ignoring your gut istinct.

The death card I see as a total ending of something , acceptance of it and the beginning of something totally new.

nisaba

The Ten Swords is the client having a really, really bad time, but if they hold on by their fingernails there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Death is a Full Stop, something coming to an irreversible end. It means "transition" only if the client realises that this road is a dead end and takes an entirely different path, not if they get stuck into trying to resurrect the same situation.

crystalrose

As people said, Death is a permanent ending, accompanied by grief and a sense of loss. It's usually slow and out of your control. There's a definite element of accepting the inevitable with Death. I've also seen it as a person outgrowing who they were in the past - giving up old ways of being for good.

In a relationship, this usually means it's dead, done, over. Whatever existed between the two people in the past has left for good. There will be a cessation of contact for a number of months, if not permanently. Depending on the situation, the relationship may resume at a much later date, but not in the form it was at in the beginning. But for all practical purpose, when you pull Death, you know it's gone, full stop.

10 of Swords is more mental. I've gotten it recently to mean clearing out mental clutter. So for example, in a relationship, a positive could be about cleaning up issues that had been lurking between the two parties for good. Everything out in the open, nothing more to be discussed, possibly with an element of disillusionment involved.

It could also mean an ending like a total betrayal, I've seen that too. Feelings of I can't believe this happened to me, or I can't believe this person did that to me!

Or individually, a person hitting extreme rock bottom in their life. The plus side of that is the only way to go is up.

Another meaning for the 10 of Swords could be catastrophizing - exaggerating your problems in your mind as way worse than they actually are. It could show a need to lighten up mentally and broaden your perspective.

barefootlife

Agreeing with pretty much all of this. In my readings, I tend to see Death come up as a very final ending, something that will be difficult but leads to an opportunity for rebirth.

On the other hand, 10 Swords tends to come up when people are feeling bad about their situation or sorry for themselves. Sometimes the situation really is as bad as they feel--they've hit rock bottom and it's time to re-evaluate and start the climb back up, or they need help beyond what a tarot reader can provide. But sometimes, at least half the time, their feelings of betrayal, sadness, and the general unfairness of life come from a disordered type of thinking, or a piling on of little annoyances that eventually feel like too much to bear. There's an element of feeling persecuted, whether that persecution is real or overblown in someone's mind.

In short, Death is something that happens to you - you can't control the occurrence, only the outcome. 10 Swords is a reflection of behavior in a situation - even the effects of a real betrayal depend on how you deal with it.