Your very own list of "Top Ten Decks of All Time"

FaireMaiden

gregory said:
I figure we are looking at decks we have rather than ..? - because if not, the wooden Kashmiri is a real top ten for me....
Me too, me too!!! But, hell's bells, there goes my vacation to Bali!!! :laugh: *rofl* :laugh:

eta: On second thought, maybe it would be closer to the mortgage on my house, :bugeyed: :smoker: :bugeyed:

Debra

After a while I'll do a little numbers crunching and see how many of our individual top tens appear on the AT top tens, too.

The crowned one

FaireMaiden,

The Hermetic. A great choice. I feel it would be my desert island deck as there is so much crammed into that deck you could spend as many years as it takes to get rescued working with it. I did not put it on my top 10 because as much as I love it, I do not spend enough time with it...and it gives me a headache, the only deck I have ever used that does. Very accurate in my opinion tho.

FaireMaiden

The Crowned One... I truly don't believe the 'Hermetic' likes to be used in an ordinary, mundane sense... I only use it for that deep, Spiritual pathworking that the majority of clients are not the least bit interested in, *lol*

Alas, it's a deck that requires time... actually, the suspension of time, so-to-speak... so you are very correct to classify it as a 'desert-island' deck, *s*... To begin to really bond with the Hermetic, one must not only meditate with it exclusively, but study all the occultism behind it... It really is a 'you will have no other god before me' deck, *rofl*... One must be ready, willing, and most-assuredly able to make the deep paradigm-shifts engagement with this deck will require... and, quite frankly, those kinds of states, happening all synchronistically in one's life, are few and far-between... Perhaps it just is not time for you yet???

jmd

[in reply to post #40 above]

decks you own???

Since when? The opening post merely says: 'What are YOUR "Top Ten"?' - ownership is optional as far as I'm concerned. And as an example, you may have just lost a deck, or eagerly after another, because is is in YOUR 'top three' (and yet not own a copy).

FaireMaiden

I don't know, jmd... at this point, I'm totally confused, *lol*

Faolainn Storm

Okay, after much thought, and heartbreak I have narrowed my list to a top twelve :D. These are the decks I would keep if I had to get rid of my entire collection and was only allowed a bare minimum.
So, in no particular order:

Hallowquest Arthurian Tarot
Bright Ideas Deck
Cosmic Tarot
Druidcraft Tarot
Faery Wicca Tarot
Greenwood Tarot
Legend Arthurian Tarot
Osho Zen Tarot
Tarot of Dreams **
Universal Waite Tarot
Quest Tarot *
Voyager Tarot *

* These last two would be the ones I would leave behind if I absolutely had to, if I was only allowed ten. But I went through enough heartbreak to get it down to this list, I'm not going to force myself to leave them out for a hypothetical list! :)

** Right now Tarot of Dreams would be my choice if I had to pick just one. But I guarantee that this will change!

Faolainn Storm

WolfSpirit

My top ten list - I also chose the decks I think I would miss the most if I did not have them. Right now I am just using one deck, the Steele Wizard, for the "revised One Deck Wonder" (see thread in Talking Tarot if you are curious) and I really had to think hard what were the other decks I really like. And then I found it hard to stop at ten of course...

Steele Wizard
Druidcraft
Animal Wise
Swedish Witch
Greenwood
Fournier
Halloween
Tarot of the Spirit
Songs for the Journey Home
Servants of the Light

raventepes

I decided that my top ten would have to be mostly composed of what I concider to be the most influencial.

In no particular order

RWS (original)
Thoth
Visconti-Sforza
Marseille (just about any version will do)
Wirth
Deva
Osho Zen
Quest
Archeon
Eclectic

Most of them are no-brainers, but I WILL comment on the ones that aren't.

Deva - Its 5th suit Triax brings a whole new level of reading. It very much adds to the deck and rounds it out better, IMO.

Eclectic - Josef Machynka had the notion to pull together various tarot traditions into one deck LONG before Lo Scarabeo even thought about it. The deck was first published back in 1986. Between the two, the Eclectic is my favorite. Period, end of story.

Archeon - This was a bit of a personal choice for me. It was one of my first few decks and remains one of my most used.

Quest - I like how Joseph Martin used the concept of metals and stones ro render the characters on the cards. He did a fantastic job matching stones and metals to the cards. To me, this further illustrates new possibiliies. Also, I absolutely LOVE the Multiverse card. To me, that's actually something that all decks could benefit from.

Le Fanu

Here goes; in no particular order, except of course that the most significant are those which come first to mind;

1. Victorian Romantic, because it was single-handedly responsible for the Renaissance of my tarot passion which had been dormant for quite a few years.
2. Meneghello Soprafino; because it is so exquisite, it is my 5-star luxury "private" deck and no-one can touch it but me. And it reads so well.
3. Jacques Vieville; a recent acquisition, but one which I cannot put down. A deck with a million secrets.
4. Trimmed Crystal. It´s my mini/ travelling tarot and the colours now just bleed out when you fan the cards. Wonderful.
5. 1JJ Swiss; the first deck I fell in love with because of the artwork.
6. The RWS British Blue Box. An early acquisition - one of the first - which I don´t use as often as I should to read, but when I do, I vow I shall use no other.
7. Prediction Tarot; really 80s and some rather undifferentiated Court cards, but I have a soft spot for the pristine artwork.
8. Tarot of the Master (trimmed); whimsical. A recent acquisition which I havent used much, but just loving the artwork is a good start.
9. Crowley Thoth (biggest version); has to be on my list. It challenges me and Im not fully familiar with it, but I just know it´s seminal and it will have it´s day when Im ready. Id have to take this one if the house was burning down.
10. I have to think about the last one and get back to you.....