Your very own list of "Top Ten Decks of All Time"

sapienza

Oh my, how things change in 13 months. My original list.....

sapienza said:
1. Mythic
2. Alchemical
3. Thoth
4. Legend Arthurian
5. Hanson-Roberts
6. Norse
7. Robin Wood
8. Universal Waite
9. Cosmic
10. Haindl

My new list......

1. Vacchetta (Tarot of the Master)
2. Nigel Jackson
3. Ancient Italian
4. Mythic
5. Thoth
6. Alchemical
7. Cosmic

Only seven this time....just the ones I couldn't part with :)

nisaba

I didn't even know this thread existed - I'm glad it's re-emerged.

Top ten.

I'd have to think about that.

Somewhere very high up comes the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, a deceptively simple little deck that deals with *everything and packs a real reader's punch. It also comes complete with the ghost of its creator, who sits somewhere behind and above me when I'm using it, and is always quick with a helpful word if I get stuck or a warm touch on the shoulder. Sometimes when I need mothering, I'll pull out the Temperance card, and Granny will be right there, with a cup of tea and a hug (and for her, a cup of tea is always more than just a cup of tea!)

Somewhere high up comes the Quantum deck. I've only been acquainted with it this year, but it's a stunner. And it's really the only unbordered deck I have that I'm entirely comfortable about - I normally like borders, as they form corridors to walk down to approach the card.

I have a growing range of Visconti-Sforza decks - the Visconti and Sforza families, individually and together, had a tradition of commissioning gorgeous decks to celebrate major family events: gaining the rulership of cities, political marriages consolidating power-bases, and so forth. All of these decks exist only in part, and broken up between different public and private collections, but restored whole decks with replacement cards exist, and I have three of them which are all different and all highly wonderful in their different ways. I will get more. I adore them - the more time I spend with them the better they get. and they're teaching me how to love and work with unillustrated pips in a way I never have before because they're just so gorgeous.

<counts> That's five plus possible future Viscontis.

At number six, I'm throwing in the Rider-Waite Mini, because it was the deck a friend did a so-called reading for me as a teenager on, and later my first ever deck. Nostalgia only - it it had been any other deck, that deck would be here.

Another nostalgic deck is the Sheridan-Douglas. I bought the book in the seventies and loved it and learned from it even though I had the Rider-Waite deck. I loved the graceful-flowing black'n'white line-drawings in the book, which had a softness, accessibility and gentleness to them that really appealed next to the uncompromising harshness of the RW. It was only a few months ago that I actually bought the deck itself, and the strident colours and high lamination gave it a hardness I definitely wasn't expecting. But I've gotten used to it and love it anyway, because its book taught me to love Tarot.

Up in my top ten somewhere would have to be Scapini's Tarocchi del Vetrate - the Stained Glass deck. I love its borders: graceful "sandstone archways" into which the "stained glass" images are "mounted". I love its strong colours and flowing lines. I love its unillustrated but highly decorated pips, out of which I seem to be able to extract meaning anyway, which probably took me halfway to being able to read the spare completely unillutrated Visconti pips. And I love how it's taken me on a Scapini-deck-buying binge - I've really only discovered one deck by him that is a total bummer, and it is an oracle-deck, not a Tarot deck.

That leaves two vacant spaces for keepers that I haven't discovered yet, or that I already have but haven't yet realised are keepers. I know the creators of a few of my decks linger around, and I'd hate to offend anybody: it is strictly true to say that I really only have four or five decks out of over forty that I don't like in one way or another - this post has just weeded out the very special ones, plenty of others are still highly valued by me!

Alta

Alta said:
Rider Waite Smith: read with it for over 30 years exclusively; part of my mental reading background.
Robin Wood: my second deck: 2 exclusive years, years and the time I learned to meditate and ground, using this deck.
The Minute Deck: the first deck that ever struck me as deeply humourous and witty; reads so well for me.
Baroque Bohemian Cats because it gave me so much insight into my work issues (still excellent, but then was when it shone for me)
The Noblet: the first TdM that I have ever genuinely liked visually and have gotten readings from(!!).
The Thoth: my love/hate deck but I think its images are burned into my brain and it has just become part of my reading background. Sometimes I am reading with another deck and the Thoth image of that card superimposes mentally and that is always correct for the querent.

Those 6 sort of stand alone for me, but I'll add 4 other decks that I found influential, to me and in my time.

Shining Tribe: I spent a long time with this one year, both by myself and with amyel. Amazingly insightful deck, reaches deep into the older layers of your psyche.
The Fey: another deck I used for a long time and found it could be harsh and revealing. The swords suit in this deck to me reveals a way of looking at swords that sometimes I suspect is closer to their real meaning than some prettier decks (not that the Fey isn't pretty).
The Crone: I hesitate here, because this deck is new. But, I have been using it as a conjunction to the Shadow Work spreads (for which I am using Robin Wood) and have found it shockingly revealing. Perhaps it is my physical age.
Gaian: a majors only deck, I use it often for personal daily throws. Maybe I just like the art, but there must be some reason as I am drawn to it again and again and have since I purchased it. I also like the ways she describes the cards on her web site.

Marion
Here is what I originally posted, but of course things change. The Crone really hasn't lasted for me, and the Noblet, while admired is no longer in my Top Ten. Now I'd replace them with my new RWS fav, the Illuminated. And for the tenth, well, nothing solid, a revolving group of decks.

Le Fanu

Le Fanu said:
1. Victorian Romantic
2. Meneghello Soprafino.
3. Jacques Vieville.
4. Trimmed Crystal..
5. 1JJ Swiss.
6. The RWS British Blue Box
7. Prediction Tarot.
8. Tarot of the Master (trimmed).
9. Crowley Thoth (biggest version)
10. Minchiate Florentina

A few changes...

1. Victorian Romantic (Gold or Regular)
2. Greenwood
3. Bohemian Gothic (Silver or Regular)
4. Thoth
5. Golden Tarot of Klimt
6. Jacques Vieville
7. Royal Fez Moroccan Tarot
8. Minchiate Florentina
9. Tarot Balbi
10. Russian Tarot of St Petersburg

The Soprafino has become a bit of a "take out and drool but don´t really use" deck now.

The Vieville has stayed; I knew it was a special one from the start

ETA; had to put the Minchiate back in there...

jackdaw*

Back in March '08, I had said:
jackdaw* said:
1. Universal Waite
2. Visconti (gold)
3. Minchiate Fiorentine (Il Meneghello version)
4. Tarot of Prague (1st ed)
5. Crowley Thoth (greenie)
6. Marseille (Hadar)
7. Minute
8. Golden
9. Thomson-Leng
10. the deck in my head that has yet to break out in satisfactory form :)
Well, there have been changes :) Again, in no particular order:

1. Universal Waite
2. Aquatic Tarot
3. Minchiate Fiorentine (not the Etruria, there seems to be some confusion)
4. Marseille, Hadar version
5. Thoth (trimmed)
6. Tarot of Prague, 1st edition
7. Anna K
8. Illuminated
9. Golden Rider
10. Visconti Tarots, LS with gold foil

Note that three of these decks are no longer (tragically) in my collection. And "the deck in my head" has been dropped from the list, as I now realize it's probably never going to get out of there! :D

Aulruna

Aulruna said:
My list - applied criteria: The ones I work with most, and ideally over an extended period of time.

1. RWS - my favourite version is the Original Rider Waite with the muted colours. I have none of the vintage decks *whines*
2. Greenwood - for meditation and ritual.
3. Victoria Regina - Sort of authentic period style, yet quirky and with a definite edge.
4. Animal Lords - I love the artwork, and the animals actually are very eloquent.
5. Fey - Something absolutely unique!!
6. Lo Scarabeo - The best reading deck I found in what feels like a century. Always spot on.
7. Ship of Fools - Always a bit tongue-in-cheek and great for reality checks. You have to be able to relate to the period humor though.
8. Medieval Enchantment - another one for the re-enactor in me.
9. Margarete Petersen - very deep and intuitive.
10. Bohemian Gothic Silver - Love everything about it. Wise, stylish, subtle, and unafraid!

Closest runners-up: Pearls of Wisdom, Halloween and *blush* Moon Garden.

Favourite Majors only decks (they are a bit of a stand alone category for me): Baum, Phantomwise, Sidhe, Mary-El.

I might substitute the Animal Lords for Nathalie Hertz's Faerie. A bit early to tell though. Dame Fortuna's Wheel is also very promising.

Nothing else has changed.

BodhiSeed

1. Anna K.
2. DruidCraft
3. Legacy of the Divine
4. Morgan Greer
5. Radiant Rider
6. Swietlistej Drogi
7. Tarot in de Herstelde Orde
8. Touchstone Tarot, LE
9. Victorian Romantic
10. World Spirit

When the complete Gaian comes out, something will get bumped off the list...

emmsma

1. Rider Mini - was one of my first decks and I can always go back to it and get fine readings.
2. Tarot of the Magical Forest - spoke to me quite clearly from the first time I picked it up.
3. Ibis Tarot
4. Osho Zen Tarot
5. Mystical Lenormand
6. Medieval Scapini
7. Mystiches Kipper
8. Lenormand Oracle
9. Estensi Tarot
10. Lars-Kristian Holmsen Tarot - funny I can't seem to drop this deck, yet I can't read with it either. :p Its fun, bright and makes me smile. Then, of course I scratch my head, cause I am not quite sure what its trying to say.

This is harder to do than I thought. I am not reading heavily at the moment, I am not altogether sure from a reading standpoint which are my top 10, but these are the decks I would not want to give up.

Sulis

Here's what I had in March '08
Sulis said:
1. World Spirit
2. Pearls of Wisdom
3. Morgan Greer
4. Glastonbury - for magic
5. Sheridan Douglas
6. Renaissance Tarot - Jones / Lyle
7. DruidCraft
8. RWS - my old Rider version
9. Heron Conver
10. Stone Tarot

I'd change this a little.

My top 10 decks now are:

1. Illuminated Tarot
2. Anna K
3. World Spirit
4. Morgan Greer
5. Glastonbury - for magic
6. Sheridan Douglas
7. Renaissance Tarot - Jones / Lyle
8. DruidCraft
9. Heron Conver
10. Pearls of Wisdom

Manda

In no particular order:

The Big Three:

RWS (I like the Radiant recoloring best)
Marseilles (I like the Fournier best, though Noblet is very close)
Thoth (my big AGMuller; one day we will connect)

Sheer Beauty:

Soprafino (literally takes my breath away to hold it)

Personal Reading Favorites:

Anna K (is quickly replacing RWS as my everyday reading deck)
Deviant Moon (can't get enough of this one!)
Templar (this deck feels so spiritual and connected to me)
Transparent (innovative and has pushed my reading skills)
Llewellyn (my primary reading deck for years, so this is a soft spot)
Bohemian Gothic (always gets me in the gut, usually when I need it)

It doesn't seem fair to leave oracles completely out:

Faeries Oracle (I doubt they would let me leave them anywhere anyway)
Symbolon (for those good, hard looks at oneself)